AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: msteen on July 06, 2008, 03:52:19 AM

Title: Calculating heading
Post by: msteen on July 06, 2008, 03:52:19 AM
My SMS notifying system is now well under testing, and working quite OK.
Here is an example from today.

05.07.2008 20:59
Airpics FW Radar Alert!

Afriqiyah Airways (Adria Airways) Airbus A320-231 (S5-AAB c/n 113 Flight ADR3411) is now 2.64km away on an altitude of 250 ft, descending -704 ft / min. It flies a heading of 71 degrees, and 128 knots. Probably approaching runway 07.

What I now want to do is to inform where the aircraft is located relative to the airport.
North, East, South, West, Southeast and so on.

I have the coordinates of the airport which is:

Latitude: 63.111944
Longitude: 7.82611

Example of an aircraft coordinate:

Latitude: 63.0778
Longitude: 7.7217

I've been searching for an easy way to determine this so I can write this in the messages, and also maybe use it in the calculations when finding out if an aircraft is approaching the runway.
Title: Re: Calculating heading
Post by: DaveReid on July 10, 2008, 10:14:51 PM
Quote from: msteen on July 06, 2008, 03:52:19 AM
I've been searching for an easy way to determine this so I can write this in the messages, and also maybe use it in the calculations when finding out if an aircraft is approaching the runway.

http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm should give you everything you need.