AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 10:24:22 AM

Title: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 10:24:22 AM
How much of the displayed information in an on-screen label has to be physically input into ADS-B by a crew member?

I ask because I have noticed a number of flights which appear to have the correct flight number with the departure/destination airfields transposed.  If Radarbox gleans its information from a database somewhere, based upon the callsign, one would expect at least the 'to' and 'from' details to be accurate, when displayed.

One example which I am watching at the moment is EZY3032, which shows EGSS-LEBL in the label, when it is clearly on the return leg to the UK.  The callsign is correct for the return flight, but the label is wrong.

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Allocator on July 08, 2008, 11:19:47 AM
In my RB database, EZY3032 shows the route as LEBL-EGSS

RadarBox uses its own internal database to match Flight ID's to routes.  Use the Database Explorer to view, edit and add these.  This database is not automatically updated by RB, but this might be added sometime in the future.
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: tarbat on July 08, 2008, 12:39:48 PM
Same here Allocator.  There's 6 flights to/from LEBL-EGSS in the routes table:
FN   NO   ND
EZY3031   EGSS   LEBL
EZY3032   LEBL   EGSS
EZY3033   EGSS   LEBL
EZY3034   LEBL   EGSS
EZY3035   EGSS   LEBL
EZY3036   LEBL   EGSS

Deadcalm, the one you saw that was wrong, was this a local aircraft, or one from across the Airnav network?
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 04:04:06 PM
This particular one was live, local traffic.  I haven't yet messed about with the Database Explorer.  Does this mean that I can add my own aircraft (or adapt existing ones) - for instance, RYR (or any other) callsigns that have alpha-numerics in the label, and will that change reflect upon the label displayed in the radar window?  And if the existing database is not regularly updated by Radarbox, how stale is it?

The reason I asked about crew input, is that if no-one bothered to change the details on the return flight, I could understand the information being wrong, but the callsign was correct for the return, the to/from was reversed...

* Update - my Database Explorer shows the flight correctly, too , so what's all that about, then ?

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: tarbat on July 08, 2008, 04:15:08 PM
Airnav are planning on further development to update routes.  Otherwise, yes, they do get stale as airlines change flight numbers.  I've experimented with autopopulating routes, and that's discussed in another thread - see http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=551.msg4199#msg4199

In the meantime, you can update routes in the routes table, and they will then display against that flight number on the map and in the list.
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 04:17:17 PM
Thanks, Tarbat - I'll have a fiddle (if you'll pardon the expression!).

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 04:39:35 PM
Right, I've tried adding a record to Database Explorer for an aircraft without departure and destination airfields showing - it makes no difference, the label still doesn't display these fields.  Are we talking at cross purposes, or more likely, what am I doing wrong?

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: malcdee2001 on July 08, 2008, 05:35:39 PM
This sounds like the same problem I reported to the forum a few weeks ago.
Flights are in the database but not showing on the list or labels.
The flights are showing a flight ID but not the origination or destination even though they are in the database.
Allocator reported that AirNav were sorting.
Malc
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: AirNav Support on July 08, 2008, 06:38:59 PM
That is corrected this has been fixed in a version we are testing. Essentially network flights were not showing routes correctly and when they tranisition into local flights they stay without the routes.
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 07:42:09 PM
Thanks Airnav - can you confirm that this is the version that some are beta testing? (in which case, it still doesn't seem to work for me).   Secondly, can you also confirm the correct procedure for adding routes via Database Explorer?  I have tried a couple, but they don't appear to be added to the database.  Is there a procedure for saving changes?

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: AirNav Support on July 08, 2008, 07:58:42 PM
No the version that beta testers have is for stability purposes. Adding routes to the database is very simple, just like addding any record to database, if it does not not let you save then its because that FlightID is already in the database.
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 08:15:00 PM
Thanks again, still don't seem to be able to add routes to Database Explorer, and the manual isn't much help, either - seems a black art...

I have tried to add a couple of records, and edited cells in the NO and ND columns accordingly to define the routes.  There is no obvious way to save the new entries that I can see, other than exiting - in which case my new records disappear.  Neither of the two new records I've tried to add previously exist.  Anyone give me a simple heads-up on this, please?

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: RodBearden on July 08, 2008, 08:23:12 PM
Hi DC

Once you've edited or added a record, click on another record above or below the one you've been working on before you exit - works for me :-)

Rod
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 08:36:09 PM
Ah!  I said it was a black art...

Thanks, I'll try that.

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 08:46:34 PM
Nope - tried that with a new aircraft not in the list, managed to enter the new details, clicked on another record and exited, went back in, new record not there.

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: malcdee2001 on July 08, 2008, 09:03:38 PM
Why not wait untill the new version is released. We are told there is a bug and it is being fixed.

Malc
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Allocator on July 08, 2008, 09:16:36 PM
Quote from: Deadcalm on July 08, 2008, 08:46:34 PM
Nope - tried that with a new aircraft not in the list, managed to enter the new details, clicked on another record and exited, went back in, new record not there.

DC

Trust me, it does work. See this FAQ:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=628.0

I've added loads of aircraft and some routes manually.  The only thing I have found is that sometimes when I add new records, if I close down RB straight away then the records - although they show correctly as added -  don't seem to be saved.

If I shut down RB after 5 or 10 minutes, then the records are saved OK.  No idea why it does this.

Also, bear in mind that if you do change a record, you won't see the effect until you restart RB - but don't restart it straight away for the reason above.
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Deadcalm on July 09, 2008, 09:22:48 AM
OK, well I have to report that even after 15 - 20 minutes, new records are not saved in my database.  So, Airnav, I'd like to report this as a specific bug.  I appreciate that you have another version under test, so I don't know if this will be addressed in that version.

DC
Title: Re: Labels
Post by: Allocator on July 09, 2008, 10:26:21 AM
No, the SQL edit has worked ever since the sql database replaced the previous database.

When you add a new record, you can then immediately search for this record and see it. For example:

- File > Database Explorer

- select Route from "Select Table" drop-down

- Click "Add Record"

- Enter ABC123 in FN field (Flight Number)

- Click in AO cell, click "Edit Cell" and enter XXXX

- Click in ND cell, click "Edit Cell" and enter YYYY

- Click in any other cell to exit the new record

Right, let test that we've entered the record:

- Click in the "Text to Find" box and enter ABC123

- Select IN from the Condition drop down list

- Select FN in the Field drop-down

- Click the Find button

The new record for ABC123 shows.

To delete the record, click in any cell for this record and click Delete Record.

Click Show All to see all the records.

Note, you must enter routes in the Routes table, aircraft in the Aircraft table etc.

Give this a try and see what happens.