AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: bailey_uk on July 17, 2008, 02:43:28 PM

Title: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: bailey_uk on July 17, 2008, 02:43:28 PM
Since buyimg my RB I dont have enough money for an external aerial as yet, but just wondering if it would be a better idea buying a 10ft USB Cable and using that to gain extra length to site the original aerial on the flat roof above my dormer window?

I know that by using longer Coax will reduce signal so thought this may be a much better and of course considerably cheaper option?

James
Title: Re: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: tarbat on July 17, 2008, 03:52:27 PM
I'm using a 4m USB cable successfully to connect from my PC in the study up to my Radarbox in the loft.  Although I've heard reports of too much voltage loss down a long USB cable, but it works okay for me.
Title: Re: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: bailey_uk on July 17, 2008, 04:13:47 PM
Gonna give it a go and see.

With the voltage loss, does that mean that the Box will only half work, or stop working completely?
Title: Re: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: tarbat on July 17, 2008, 04:43:38 PM
My understanding is that if there's too much voltage loss, it just stops working, or occasionally drops connection.

I've never had any problems with my 4m USB cable, and when I first used it I compared reception performance with the original lead, and it was identical.  I'm using what was a USB printer lead, so it's really thick - maybe that helps.
Title: Re: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: bailey_uk on July 17, 2008, 05:03:01 PM
yeh I have bought this... I didnt know what one would call the USB connection into the unit as its small?

So this just acts as an extension

Title: Re: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: tarbat on July 17, 2008, 05:45:49 PM
It's a B5 USB connector - see previous discussion at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=409.msg3213#msg3213
Title: Re: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: Hosch on July 17, 2008, 06:18:27 PM
My RB is connected with a 6m USB cable extension + the original cable and it works perfectly well.
Title: Re: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: CAM on July 17, 2008, 06:21:26 PM
What you have to be careful of on long cables is volt drop. If you were installing a lighting circuit over a long distance you would end up using a very large cable. (Volts are the pressure to push the amps)

I am not sure how USB actually works, maybe it uses frequecies which is a whole different ball game.

There is probably a maximum cable length they manufacture for USB, which maybe what you have all ready.
Title: Re: Longer USB cable Vs Longer coaxial
Post by: Allocator on July 17, 2008, 06:25:02 PM
I use a USB extender that uses standard Cat 5 network cable.  With this you can use up to 45m of network cable as an extension - that should be enough for anybody.  See this FAQ for more information

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=635.0