AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Johnn on September 14, 2008, 09:31:31 AM

Title: Do you need to be near a mayjor airport in order to get the most out of RB?
Post by: Johnn on September 14, 2008, 09:31:31 AM
I Live Like 90 Miles From The Nearest Airport :(

Thanks
Title: Re: Do you need to be near a mayjor airport in order to get the most out of RB?
Post by: Deadcalm on September 14, 2008, 09:51:00 AM
Me too.  But I can (or could before my aerial preamp failed!) see aircraft all around me for about 250 miles in my own right,  and also aircraft anywhere in the world where there is a RadarBox operating.

Presumably you are interested in aviation and have some idea of flight routes around you?

DC
Title: Re: Do you need to be near a mayjor airport in order to get the most out of RB?
Post by: Allocator on September 14, 2008, 12:33:33 PM
Quote from: Johnn on September 14, 2008, 09:31:31 AM
I Live Like 90 Miles From The Nearest Airport :(

Thanks

I live about 150 miles from London Heatherow, but I can still see all the traffic using the RadarBox Network. See my FTP upload page here - give it 5 minutes to update as I've only just turned the PC on.

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/html/airnav_radarbox.html
Title: Re: Do you need to be near a mayjor airport in order to get the most out of RB?
Post by: Deadcalm on September 14, 2008, 12:47:43 PM
Interesting route, that Shamrock 244 - EIDW - EGJJ via?
(Gone now...)

DC
Title: Re: Do you need to be near a mayjor airport in order to get the most out of RB?
Post by: DaveReid on September 14, 2008, 01:31:38 PM
Quote from: Allocator on September 14, 2008, 12:33:33 PM
I live about 150 miles from London Heatherow, but I can still see all the traffic using the RadarBox Network. See my FTP upload page here - give it 5 minutes to update as I've only just turned the PC on.

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/html/airnav_radarbox.html

Strange, I always thought the Heathrow runways were parallel  :-)
Title: Re: Do you need to be near a mayjor airport in order to get the most out of RB?
Post by: Allocator on September 14, 2008, 02:30:57 PM
Good enough for government work........

They're parallel on Cartesian projection, but look slightly off in Mercator. I'm sure somebody clever could explain this :-)

Ha, just zoomed in and out and not they're parallel - the wonders of modern science!

I've got height filters in to get rid of everything above 15,000ft to reduce the clutter a bit.