AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Harry on September 29, 2008, 02:13:00 PM

Title: Show postion on google maps
Post by: Harry on September 29, 2008, 02:13:00 PM
Hi All,

Maybe a bit off topic, but I want to give it a try anyway.
I want to plot planes, which I receive via the alert function, on google maps.
The alert function gives me: N29 03.7 and E048 04.0

When I place to coordinates into the following URL:
http://maps.google.com/staticmap?center=N29 03.7,E048 04.0
(this link isn't working without the api key, but I hope you get the idea)

I get an error.

If I enter N29 03.7 E048 04.0 into goolge maps it seems to convert it into :
+29° 3' 42.00", +48° 4' 0.00"

Can someone explain me how the conversion works?

Harry
Title: Re: Show postion on google maps
Post by: RodBearden on September 29, 2008, 02:38:17 PM
Hi Harry

The problem may be due to the difference between decimal degrees which RB uses, and degrees, minutes and seconds that Google uses by default.

There is a converter at www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html)

Hope that helps.

Rod

Title: Re: Show postion on google maps
Post by: CoastGuardJon on September 29, 2008, 02:39:38 PM
Hi Harry,   I think you'll find that as you're inputting the co-ordinates as decimal 03.7' = 3' (minutes) and ).7x60" (seconds) = 3' 42", I hope you can make sense of that!   Each degree is split into 60 minutes (') and each minute is 60 seconds as in time, so 0.7 of a minute = 42 seconds - still as clear as mud..............
Title: Re: Show postion on google maps
Post by: oceans777 on September 29, 2008, 06:01:25 PM
Another option is that Google Earth has a setting under Preferences that allows you select the type of lat/long to display.
Title: Re: Show postion on google maps
Post by: Harry on October 01, 2008, 09:05:52 AM
Hi All,

Thanks! A complete new world for me, but I think I figured out what to do!

Harry