AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: meesh on October 20, 2008, 03:01:21 PM

Title: When i buy one...
Post by: meesh on October 20, 2008, 03:01:21 PM
Please (as i am no computer genius) could somebody explain to me exactly what i will get,then have to do once I have purchased my radar box.
How simple is it??
Just plug in ,load the cd then is that it??
Need questions answering like-
Where will i put the antenna
What other hardware do i need to buy etc etc
Please help guys,I am new to this but very desperate to purchase a radar box asap,but I need to know what I am doing first !!!
Thanks in advance
Meesh
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: RodBearden on October 20, 2008, 03:27:53 PM
Hi Meesh and welcome.

Not asking many questions, are you!  :-)

All you need is a PC, although some people have sucessfully used a Mac. You need a good view of the sky from somewhere near your computer, so that the aerial supplied with the box can also have a good view, because it's line-of-sight - it can see the same way as we humans can see.

If you can't arrange it like that, you need an external aerial to fix on the roof to get a better view (about 50 GB pounds), and low-loss cable to connect it to the RadarBox. I've got 15m of cable that cost me 100 GB pounds, including the adaptor to connect it. Some people use a mast-head pre-amplifier to boost the signal, but I'm happy without one.

After that, you just need to download the full version of the latest software from this site http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html (http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html) (you can download it in advance and run it in demo mode for free - strongly recommended), and then it is literally plug-and-play. You don't need the CD at all, except that it carries the ID and password to get the box running.

If you connect to the internet as well, you get extra goodies - the aircraft database that comes with RB gets constantly updated, you get photos of the actual aircraft you're picking up, and details of many of the routes they're flying, and you can share your info on the network, which other users can see, and you can see the info that they're picking up (with a 5 minute delay).

Any more questions, just ask!

Rod
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: meesh on October 20, 2008, 03:58:07 PM
Thanks Rod !!!
It just seems so much to take in,but I was hoping it was just really a case of plugging in and off we go !
I am obviously torn between this product and (as it is called on here) the competition.
Each to their own i suppose,but I want something simple LIKE ME then as i say off we go
Cheers
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: RodBearden on October 20, 2008, 04:03:54 PM
Meesh

I've never used the SBS-1, but from what I see on the forum, RB is MUCH easier, especially if you are a non-techie. Apparently it needs lots of add-on programs to give it the same features that are built-in to RB.

When I bought my RB, I used it for a couple of weeks to see what my reception was like, and then read the various threads on the forum to see what external aerial would be suitable. Once I had bought it, I got a local TV aerial company to erect it for me, which cost an extra 50 GB pounds.

Rod
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: meesh on October 20, 2008, 04:05:44 PM
Smashing that Sir,just what i wanted to hear,the less messing about the better.
Thanks Again
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: AirNav Support on October 20, 2008, 04:10:38 PM
Meesh,

Its very simple to get started with the RadarBox. It should not take you longer than 5mins to be up and running and seeing lots of informatio and details. If you go with the competitors you will be lost very quickly and will have to do a lot configuration to get anywhere near RadarBoxes features.
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: meesh on October 20, 2008, 04:14:48 PM
My mind is made up,no need to convince me anymore.
Order to be placed asap
Thanks for help
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: RodBearden on October 20, 2008, 04:18:27 PM
Excellent!

Let us know when you're up and running!

Rod
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: meesh on October 20, 2008, 04:23:39 PM
Will do...because i will probably be on here for advice to get me started!
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: Terry on October 20, 2008, 06:08:26 PM
Meesh,You made the right choice,I have both systems and have not used the other since i got the RB.There are too many 3rd party add ons that you have to download and configure as AirNav rightly state,with the RB its easy.If your not sure there is always the forum,someone will always help you,so don`t be afraid to ask even AirNav,they are so accommodating,Welcome to the world of AirNav Meesh.

                          Regards Terry.     
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: juangelb on October 21, 2008, 09:35:52 AM
Hi Meesh,

I also started with SBS-1 ...when it was the only one ADS-B available on the market...
As RB was lauched, quickly bougt one, and at this time SBS-1 is retired since a lot of time... let it aside...
In my opinion RB is much better, and very easy to work with...
SBS-1 is very combersome to to put it to work with some features, even because You need a lot of third part softwares for it that in RB came already built in.
So very happy with RB that bougth 2 more units, one of them I left at Buenos Aires and catching the USB trough the internet ... and works as it would be here (Sao Paulo), but catching the flights from Buenos Aires.

Cheers - Juan
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: peteeds on November 05, 2008, 01:33:26 PM
Hy all.  I to am a newby on this forum, I also have stepped over from the other side (sbs1) after spending about £ 1k trying to improve my system ie external aerials, masts & preamps etc . I bought my RB on saturday at the Llandudno Radio Rally, Installed it on Sunday, Updated the latest software on monday & have not been able to leaveit alone since. Brilliant product & so easy to set up with all the features i wanted allready on the system, Just need to pop to maplins now for an adapter for my external aerial
Well Chuffed, Great Product.

Peteeds.  Llangollen North Wales.
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: Tailwinds on November 05, 2008, 02:12:05 PM
I only got my box on Saturday 1st November. Software 2009 was already installed a week before and I couldn't wait to get out of "Demo Mode".
Installation is a breeze. Quick and easy. I was tracking flights at Heathrow (my nearest), within a few minutes just from using the supplied ariel on the bedroom window sill.
The beauty of this box is that it is made of metal as opposed to plastic and it's so small and light. It's money well spent as far as I'm concerned. I've shown this to a couple of friends now and one of them has since downloaded the 2009 software and will soon purchase his box.

Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: AirNav Support on November 05, 2008, 02:25:49 PM
Great to hear that your happy. We are here to help if you need any and also send us your requests.
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: RodBearden on November 05, 2008, 03:08:30 PM
Hi Peteeds and welcome!

Hope you've got a tall aerial mast - it's a bit hilly round you, isn't it?

Do you get Belugas looming over you? Looks like you might be on the approach to Hawarden there.

Rod
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: peteeds on November 06, 2008, 05:05:05 PM
Hy, Rod.  Yes,Yes, & Yes. I have a 40ft  Mast to the back of the house with the sbs1 external ant on it, also the Elad pre amp up there as well, Expensive low loss cable from there to the shack which is upstairs with a Jim m75 preamp to the box. I allways knew I would struggle from here ( Bottom of narrow valley)  but I have improved the system no end.  South, East & West about 65 miles but I lose out to the north with the horseshoe pass behind me, Yes the balugas fly directly over the house on occasions but they do vary their approach quite often some times further east but I should pick them up ok especially now with the R/Box & connect to the network. sbs1 now back in the box but I will keep it ???  .  Question, would I gain anything using the Moonraker ant as it is a bit longer in length thereby raising my horizon by a couple of feet. any way thanks for the response this seems to be a good forum with all the answers to any problems I may encounter.
Thanks    Peteeds  2W1 FJZ.
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: peteeds on November 06, 2008, 05:18:25 PM
Quote from: RodBearden on November 05, 2008, 03:08:30 PM
Hi Peteeds and welcome!

Hope you've got a tall aerial mast - it's a bit hilly round you, isn't it?

Do you get Belugas looming over you? Looks like you might be on the approach to Hawarden there.

Rod
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: peteeds on November 06, 2008, 05:19:47 PM
Quote from: peteeds on November 06, 2008, 05:05:05 PM
Hy, Rod.  Yes,Yes, & Yes. I have a 40ft  Mast to the back of the house with the sbs1 external ant on it, also the Elad pre amp up there as well, Expensive low loss cable from there to the shack which is upstairs with a Jim m75 preamp to the box. I allways knew I would struggle from here ( Bottom of narrow valley)  but I have improved the system no end.  South, East & West about 65 miles but I lose out to the north with the horseshoe pass behind me, Yes the balugas fly directly over the house on occasions but they do vary their approach quite often some times further east but I should pick them up ok especially now with the R/Box & connect to the network. sbs1 now back in the box but I will keep it ???  .  Question, would I gain anything using the Moonraker ant as it is a bit longer in length thereby raising my horizon by a couple of feet. any way thanks for the response this seems to be a good forum with all the answers to any problems I may encounter.
Thanks    Peteeds  2W1 FJZ.
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: RodBearden on November 06, 2008, 11:00:57 PM
40 ft mast eh? 

Is that a record for a RadarBox antenna?

Mine's 3ft, but I'm happy with it :-\

Rod
Title: Re: When i buy one...
Post by: peteeds on November 07, 2008, 09:45:59 AM
Hy Rod, Yes, Yes & Yes,  I have a40ft Mast at the back of the house, with the SBS1 external ant on top of it, Elad masthead preamp with expensive low loss coax to the shack and also a Jim m75 preamp at the box. I allways knew I would struggle at this location ( bottom of narrow valley ) but I wanted to have a go. RB is working a treat & I can now connect to the network which is great for my location, The Balugas do fly directly over here & sometimes a little bit to the west dependant on the weather, have picked 1 up on the other system but not on RB yet. Great forum this with answers to any problems all there if you look
Thanks for the response. De  Peteeds 2W1 FJZ.