AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: radarphil on November 11, 2008, 04:34:30 PM

Title: squawk code decoder
Post by: radarphil on November 11, 2008, 04:34:30 PM
i have down loaded the squawk code decoder it says thet it has connected but the decoder is balnk and not decoding.it says thet is uses port 30003 to operate,how do i find the port 30003 ,can anyone help me to get the peogram started .
regards
phil
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: Tailwinds on November 11, 2008, 05:13:07 PM
I'm not sure if this is the solution but have you got the squawk codes txt file in the same directory as the .exe
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: radarphil on November 11, 2008, 05:20:30 PM
got it working perfectley now thanks.
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: viking9 on November 11, 2008, 07:24:22 PM
Hi Guys,

Where is the decoder file located?

Thanks,

Tom
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: besty on November 11, 2008, 07:28:53 PM
if you mean the actual program its on this topic.


http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1646.msg12881#msg12881
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: besty on November 11, 2008, 07:32:34 PM
i've copied the link

http://www.gfrost.co.uk/SquawkBox/
follow the instructions
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: viking9 on November 11, 2008, 08:24:41 PM
I've downloaded it and will be trying it out tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tom

Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: radarphil on November 11, 2008, 10:12:13 PM
squawkbox works fine no problems with radarbox and SBS-1 GOOD WORK !!
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: defcon333 on November 12, 2008, 09:15:48 AM
hi all,
how lucky you are over there in Britain having all the information available, but what about us the "poor" poeple in Germany? anyone out there who knows about those German codes (where to find, how to implement?)? any help would be appreciated especially for me (my knowledge about about pcs and how to e.g. change files is only very basic!)
thanks a lot in advance.
cheers   herbert
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: Andy Frost on November 12, 2008, 01:50:41 PM
Herbert, try this http://www.ivao.ch/Textes/squawk_codes_ch.pdf (http://www.ivao.ch/Textes/squawk_codes_ch.pdf). A transponder (squawk) code listing for Switzerland, Germany and France. You'll need to create a new file squawk_codes.txt to replace the current one so that the contents match the table in the the pdf above.

That is, in squawk_codes.txt something along the lines of...
0401 - 0477 Entering Italy (Transit, Milano)
1201 - 1277 Entering Italy (Transit, Roma)
1401 - 1477 Domestic (Switzerland)

If you send me the finished file I can include it in the zip download of SquawkBox. The goal might be to get SquawkBox to detect which country it is being used in and have it use the appropriate squawk code file.

While I was looking I also came across Turkish squawk codes at: http://www.trvacc.org/web/training/ref/squawk.asp (http://www.trvacc.org/web/training/ref/squawk.asp) for anyone interested.

Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: viking9 on November 12, 2008, 04:42:04 PM
Hi Andy,

Downloaded and operating under Vista SP1 with no probs.

Thanks,

Tom
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: Andy Frost on November 12, 2008, 07:53:00 PM
Tom, Thanks, it's always good to hear that it works under Vista. I developed it under WinXp.

Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: nbquidditch on November 13, 2008, 12:45:48 AM
Hi guys, my 1st evening with Radarbox & just set up the Squawk software & running perfect on Vista too. Can anyone direct me some more goodies I'm loving it.

EGBB
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: RodBearden on November 13, 2008, 12:56:57 AM
Hi Mr Nbquidditch and welcome!

Most features are built into RadarBox, so you don't need much more. May I sugest that you update the airline logos by visiting this thread: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1293.0 (http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1293.0), and add airport outlines by visiting this one: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=717.0 (http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=717.0).

There are more goodies around - have a good read of the forum - lots of pearls here!

Enjoy!

Rod
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: defcon333 on November 13, 2008, 07:59:05 AM
hi andy,
i tried the link above(#9) but this is only for switzerland. i did a lot of search yesterday but unfortunately i did not find corresponding German pages with the ssr codes ( e.g. aip, ais etc). any idea?
cheers      herbert
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: nbquidditch on November 13, 2008, 08:24:16 AM
Thank you Rod interesting stuff. I'm still in awe of the system! I live on a narrow boat on the Oxford Canal near a small village in the Midlands, around 11NM from Coventry Airport EGBE but on the main flightpath for Birmingham EGBB.
I'm gobsmacked I can see aircraft as far West as the Bristol Channel as far East as the Wash and North as far as Blackpool! Extraordinary!!!

Keith.
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: Andy Frost on November 13, 2008, 08:53:06 AM
Herbert, the Swiss document starts with the sentence "For transponder codes (SSR codes), one unique zone including Switzerland, France and Germany has been created; this means that SSR codes are coordinated between the aviation authorities of these 3 countries.". Their use of the word "coordinated" I interpret to mean that these 3 countries use the same squawk codes, however I'm afraid I can't confirm that.
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: Tailwinds on November 13, 2008, 10:38:02 AM
What does it mean exactly when I track an aircraft over the UK for example and I see scrolling along the top in my Squawkbox...THY1979 4133 Transit (ORCAMB) Dusseldorf?
I know the first two parts are Flight ID and squawk code.

Thanks.
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: tarbat on November 13, 2008, 10:49:14 AM
Quote from: Tailwinds on November 13, 2008, 10:38:02 AM
What does it mean exactly when I track an aircraft over the UK for example and I see scrolling along the top in my Squawkbox...THY1979 4133 Transit (ORCAMB) Dusseldorf?

My understand, but correct me if I'm wrong.  It means that the squawk code has been assigned by ATC under the ICAO Originating Region Code Assignment Method (ORCAM), and the aircraft is probably going to or from Dusseldorf.

Very useful information if you don't know the route for an aircraft.
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: Tailwinds on November 13, 2008, 11:02:47 AM
I'm still a bit confused by it though. For example, Here's another one currently in the vicinity of Heathrow....BAW162 3554 Transit (ORCAMBE) Berlin. It's coming from Tel-aviv (LLBG) to Heathrow (EGLL).
Title: Re: squawk code decoder
Post by: tarbat on November 13, 2008, 11:11:52 AM
It probably entered Eurocontrol airspace under air traffic control at Berlin, so that tells you it probably flew through Germany en-route.

To be honest, I use Squawkbox more for the less usual squawk codes used on local and military aircraft - eg. LN-TWL, currently on SSR 6160 (Inverness Approach).  It helps me see which ATC has control.

And CCAMS will change how squawk codes are allocated, starting next year.