AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: asiawatcher on December 04, 2008, 01:55:30 AM

Title: i want to buy external antenna and amplifier !! from where and what models ??
Post by: asiawatcher on December 04, 2008, 01:55:30 AM
i want to buy an external antenna amplifier and cable any suggestions ? does airnav have any options for sale on some website ?

Title: Re: i want to buy external antenna and amplifier !! from where and what models ??
Post by: AirNav Development on December 04, 2008, 02:13:08 AM
Affirm. Check the link below:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html
Title: Re: i want to buy external antenna and amplifier !! from where and what models ??
Post by: HadNav on December 04, 2008, 03:43:03 AM
Too expensive Airnav. It can be done cheaper! Elsewhere, with a little knowledge :)
Title: Re: i want to buy external antenna and amplifier !! from where and what models ??
Post by: HadNav on December 04, 2008, 03:45:52 AM
ie. Do it yourself :)

Title: Re: i want to buy external antenna and amplifier !! from where and what models ??
Post by: tarbat on December 04, 2008, 08:03:19 AM
I've been using the Airnav (aka Wimo) antenna and pre-amp kit for a few months now, with excellent results (>90% increase in coverage).  The advantage of the Ainav/Wimo kit is that it's recommended by Airnav to work with the Radarbox.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3218/2845488648_e53cc62866_t.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/2845488648/sizes/o/)
Title: Re: i want to buy external antenna and amplifier !! from where and what models ??
Post by: Deadcalm on December 04, 2008, 09:25:48 AM
I have been using the Wimo antenna and pre-amp since I bought my RadarBox and have been very pleased with the results.  I did have a pre-amp failure, though and more recently found water had got into the antenna somehow (a rare occurrence, Wimo assure me).  In both cases, the support from Wimo has been excellent, so I'd still recommend their gear, and await a replacement aerial.  I have also visited another option for a standby antenna, and ordered a BS1100 (with AS high-gain whip option) from Martin Lynch.  So it's belt and braces for me.  I'm used to a 250 mile coverage with an external antenna, so they are well worth the investment - I don't want to be without one for any longer than I can help!

DC
Title: Re: i want to buy external antenna and amplifier !! from where and what models ??
Post by: malc41 on December 04, 2008, 11:51:48 AM
While I agree with Hadnav about DIY installations, because of the environment that the aerial and equipment will be in (especially like here in the UK) buying sealed and screened kit, although more expensive, is well worth it.

Especially with the support supplied.

Title: Re: i want to buy external antenna and amplifier !! from where and what models ??
Post by: HadNav on December 09, 2008, 01:34:48 AM
I guess as a radio amateur for many years, I take things a bit for granted. I have installed all my own antennas over the years. They needed to transmit and receive. Weather proofing and installation is easy if you know how. My antennas have been up for many years. Knowledge can be passed on and you can do it yourself if you want to save a bit of money :) (I guess health and safety would have a fit these days)