AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: dl1812 on December 10, 2008, 06:22:28 PM

Title: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: dl1812 on December 10, 2008, 06:22:28 PM
Hi All,

I'll be getting a RadarBox, but due to a broken hip I'm currently on crutches and confined to Home for for another 6-8 weeks.
Weather permitting I can see most South departures and arrivals to/from Heathrow, so I don't need great coverage at this time.
Should I go for it, (albeit with restricted antenna performance) and use the time to learn the system before I'm up and walking again ?
- Or will it be too frustrating  LOL

Cheers

DL
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Allocator on December 10, 2008, 06:26:55 PM
If you can put your antenna on a window ledge with a reasonable view of the sky, I think that you would be reasonably surprised at what you can see.  That's how I'm using my RB at the moment in Uxbridge.

Also, remember that you will be able to see the Network traffic too, so your horizons will be unlimited :-)

Your 6 to 8 weeks will fly by if you have RadarBox to play with!

Listen to that voice in your head - spend, spend, spend ...........

Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: dl1812 on December 10, 2008, 06:33:41 PM
LOL

Thanks a lot - I'm convinced. But it didn't take much, to be honest  :o)

DL
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Blackthorn on December 10, 2008, 06:38:26 PM
You won't regret going for the Radarbox it is very addictive!
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Allocator on December 10, 2008, 07:14:27 PM
DL,

I've just set my RB FTP upload to on, so if you take a look at my web page below, you will see a five minute delayed, 60 second refresh of my RB map.  I've just got live traffic selected at the moment, so what you see is what I can see using the antenna outside on the window ledge.

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/html/airnav_radarbox.html

Edit: I'm having a bit of trouble with the FTP upload at the moment.  I think that it's my mobile broadband that's the problem.
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: dl1812 on December 11, 2008, 10:01:44 AM
That's spot on - I live a couple of miles SSW of Fairoaks (EGTF) so that falls nicely into your map.

Job Done !

Off now to buy a box !

Many thanks for the helpful and 'non-superior' replies to a newbie; much appreciated.


dl
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Blackthorn on December 11, 2008, 10:12:53 AM
Let us know how you get on.
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: nortonbeak on December 11, 2008, 10:59:39 AM
My thought was that you are likely to enjoy your "Arbie" so much, that in 6 weeks or so time, you will want to break your other hip to enable you to have another 8 weeks uninterrupted viewing (http://emoticons4u.com/happy/023.gif)
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: dl1812 on December 11, 2008, 03:22:59 PM
Please believe me, I don't want to go through this again.....

I appreciate the thought process, though  :o)

I actually ordered mine this Morning; I'll update once set up.
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Allocator on December 11, 2008, 07:31:40 PM
I'm trying my FTP upload again to see how my mobile broadband copes.

http://www.ruyton.demon.co.uk/html/airnav_radarbox.html
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Blackthorn on December 11, 2008, 07:35:41 PM
Looking good Allocator updating every minute.
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Allocator on December 11, 2008, 07:36:35 PM
Excellent - not quite sure why it was playing up last night.
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Blackthorn on December 11, 2008, 07:38:56 PM
I presume this has the 5 minute delay built in?
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Allocator on December 11, 2008, 07:46:56 PM
Yes it does.  so this means that "live" traffic I'm seeing is 5 minutes delayed on the FTP uploaded screen shot and if I was to have Network traffic showing too (switched off at the moment) then this would appear 10 minutes delayed.

This keeps the FTP upload "legal" according to the internationally accepted "gentleman's agreement" and is in line with other on-line aircraft data.
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: abrad41 on December 11, 2008, 07:58:18 PM
If anybody wanted to look at another FTP upload, mine is on at the moment

www.absbta2006.co.uk/airnav_radarbox.htm

cheers

Andy
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Blackthorn on December 11, 2008, 07:59:19 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Allocator
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Blackthorn on December 11, 2008, 08:01:37 PM
Yours is also updating nicely Andy.
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: abrad41 on December 11, 2008, 08:04:06 PM
Good I am glad to hear that - Just changed it from Switzerland to my home location - Norfolk and North sea

Andy
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Allocator on December 11, 2008, 08:07:26 PM
Very nice Andy :-)
Title: Re: Unable to move around for 6 weeks - should I wait ?
Post by: Blackthorn on December 11, 2008, 08:08:20 PM
I had to wait for the delay but a nice image of Norfolk!