AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Blackthorn on December 13, 2008, 11:37:11 AM

Title: Tracking Aircraft Routes
Post by: Blackthorn on December 13, 2008, 11:37:11 AM
I tracked a Thomas Cook Airbus from East Midlands on route to Las Palmas, Canary Islands. Thanks to the users in Ireland I was able to follow it north over Liverpool, The Irish Sea, Dublin, Cork then due South, this seems a strange routing for the Canary Islands is this usual?
Title: Re: Tracking Aircraft Routes
Post by: RodBearden on December 13, 2008, 01:00:28 PM
I think this sort of thing is quite common as it avoids en-route ATC charges over France, Spain, and Portugal. The green lobby has complained about it, and, of course, the airlines themselves would prefer direct routings, but if it's cheaper that way...

Rod
Title: Re: Tracking Aircraft Routes
Post by: Blackthorn on December 13, 2008, 01:02:06 PM
Thanks for the information Rod.
Title: Re: Tracking Aircraft Routes
Post by: RodBearden on December 13, 2008, 01:18:27 PM
I've just been looking at the Atlantic jetstream map, http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/jetstream.asp (http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/jetstream.asp), and see that there's a strong southward component off the west coasts of Ireland and Portugal, and a northern component over France. That's possibly another factor in that routing.

Rod
Title: Re: Tracking Aircraft Routes
Post by: Blackthorn on December 13, 2008, 01:20:01 PM
Interesting, so they would re-route to get a tailwind.