I am considering of ordering a RB real soon, Any rough guesses of the range the standard antenna can do?, My location is semi high - but with the odd few higher trees around etc, not perfect...
Or is external antennas the way to go?
Thanks
I tried the standard twig for a few days, then realised that my house was its biggest obstacle, and went for an external one - I haven't regretted it!
Rod
I ran with the standard antenna in the loft my many months (year?), and it gave great coverage up to 150nm. Only way to know is to try in your location. In my opinion, location and height are a lot more important than the antenna used.
Standard antenna in the loft - polar diagram - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=450.msg3272#msg3272
As Tarbat says, its all about your location and whether your antenna has clear view of the horizon and great line of sight.
Many customers have used the included antenna in mobile locations such driving to large hill and they can see up to 240nm away.
Quote from: Johnn on February 01, 2009, 08:25:16 PM
I am considering of ordering a RB real soon, Any rough guesses of the range the standard antenna can do?, My location is semi high - but with the odd few higher trees around etc, not perfect...
Or is external antennas the way to go?
Thanks
Take a look at the polar diagrams at the bottom of this page on the RadarBox Utilities website - these are produced using the standard antenna - it's actually very good if you can get it at least onto a window ledge.
http://radarbox.gofreeserve.com/html/polar_diagrams.html
As the responses suggest, try the standard antenna first, then decide. If you want greater coverage then go outside and higher!
Quote from: nortonbeak on February 01, 2009, 11:16:24 PM
As the responses suggest, try the standard antenna first, then decide. If you want greater coverage then go outside and higher!
Yes indeed. Paradoxically I get better coverage in the opposite direction to that I would expect, going through the house, because it seems the windows are coated with a non RF-transparent coating that means that even if I can see an aircraft through the window from behind the antenna, the RB can't see 1090MHz transmissions at more than about 4-6nm. Yet in the opposite direction through two walls and other houses I can see aircraft 35nm away.
Okay, Thanks for the help everyone
really helpful!
Thanks
Johnn
Just one more question please,
What type of cable would I need for the external antenna? do I need to use connecters to fit the end of the wire?
Is 10 - 15m of cable costly?
Thanks
Johnn
Hi John, at the high frequencies used, cable losses can be huge if you skimp on co-ax cable, the poorer quality tends to be thinner, less screening and not such good copper. Result is signal loss and more "noise" picked up masking the signals you want. For any length over 5m you want to be going for the heavy stuff and connect to the RB using a much lighter patch lead to avoid extra mechanical load on the SMA socket. With co-ax, you very much get what you pay for - and if you're spending £400 on an RB - is £40 for some decent stuff so expensive? For my money you're best going with N-type connectors and an N-socket to SMA plug patch lead - try Garex.
Another hi-spec. co-ax is http://www.diodecomms.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=30&osCsid=0325e3c2d2ec7c79d72e2c9b95916a5a
Quote from: Fenris on February 01, 2009, 11:21:15 PM
Yes indeed. Paradoxically I get better coverage in the opposite direction to that I would expect, going through the house, because it seems the windows are coated with a non RF-transparent coating that means that even if I can see an aircraft through the window from behind the antenna, the RB can't see 1090MHz transmissions at more than about 4-6nm. Yet in the opposite direction through two walls and other houses I can see aircraft 35nm away.
What type of coating is it on your glass? It's not self-cleaning glass is it?
Quote from: Jez on February 03, 2009, 09:39:08 PM
Quote from: Fenris on February 01, 2009, 11:21:15 PM
Yes indeed. Paradoxically I get better coverage in the opposite direction to that I would expect, going through the house, because it seems the windows are coated with a non RF-transparent coating that means that even if I can see an aircraft through the window from behind the antenna, the RB can't see 1090MHz transmissions at more than about 4-6nm. Yet in the opposite direction through two walls and other houses I can see aircraft 35nm away.
What type of coating is it on your glass? It's not self-cleaning glass is it?
No, it's standard sealed units, but I suspect it has the heat reflecting coating (like Pilkington K-Glass) and that is not RF transparent.
Let's put it this way, I can see no other reason why it won't allow my RB to see an aircraft I can see up in the sky.
I can only agree with Fenris on this. Had double glazing installed in December, it's Pilkington K, and it has cut my radar box reception noticeably. Have to stand the antenna on the outside of the window. That's fine until it rains and then I am worried it should not be left out
Quote from: Wayne on February 04, 2009, 02:17:01 PM
I can only agree with Fenris on this. Had double glazing installed in December, it's Pilkington K, and it has cut my radar box reception noticeably. Have to stand the antenna on the outside of the window. That's fine until it rains and then I am worried it should not be left out
Oh great.... I've just ordered some new windows and we are getting Pilkington K glass. Looks like I will have to give some thought to getting an external antenna.
Are other RF frequencies affected or just 1090MHz? - i.e will it affect my airband scanner as well?
Jez
Not noticed any difference with the airband reception but the RB reception is certainly worse. RB reception is fine when put the antenna on the outside of the windows and when it rains I put the antenna in a clear plastic bag which also seems to work fine. Will have to save up for an external antenna
Wayne
Thanks Wayne,
Just how much difference has the K-glass made?. Is your Radarbox still usable if the antenna is inside your window?
Cheers
Jez
Jez
Oh yes it's still useable but typically the antenna picks up 220 to 250 or greater messages per second when outside whlist maybe 50 to 70 messages per second when inside.
From a display point of view with the antenna outside I can see as far south as the Oxford area which is probably 140ish miles south of me but when the antenna is inside the house I only see around 35 to 40 miles in the same direction. It's quite interesting to watch the traffic increase when you move the antenna from inside to outside.
You could always break the window !
Ok. that doesn't sound too bad then. I'm mainly interested in the a/c that I can see, so as long as I've got around 30-40 mile range then that should be ok.
I made sure the new window in my Study had a double opener, so I should be fine in the summer - just open the windows!