AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Hamish McTorsk on February 12, 2009, 06:37:27 AM

Title: Tech question for computer buffs.
Post by: Hamish McTorsk on February 12, 2009, 06:37:27 AM
I have a question, and have tried to find one but with no luck.

I have just bought a new laptop for exclusive use with RB and the LT has no com port which I need for my Uniden USC 230, I dont have to have it plugged into the computer but it is nice to have the scanner interface on the screen.

My question is this:
Is there such a thing as a com port connector with a male plug one one end and a usb plug on the other and is it at all possible to to use a usb port as a com port or does anybody have any suggestions about what to do...

Thanks.
Title: Re: Tech question for computer buffs.
Post by: Allocator on February 12, 2009, 06:43:02 AM
Yes, there are various adaptors to provide an RS232 port where only USB ports are fitted.  Here is one I found after a quick search - I have a different one.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29968
Title: Re: Tech question for computer buffs.
Post by: Lou on February 12, 2009, 06:47:39 AM
yes there is its called a serial to usb adapter Maplins or even PC World have them,PC world nearly twice the price though. Regards Lou
Title: Re: Tech question for computer buffs.
Post by: Hamish McTorsk on February 12, 2009, 06:54:10 AM
Thanks for the fast replies .. Very helpfull.
Title: Re: Tech question for computer buffs.
Post by: jgrloit on February 12, 2009, 12:03:51 PM
Maplin also do a double Com from USB adapter, as well as a single.
In would advise you NOT to get the Single, which uses a seperate cable, rather than an integrated one as I have had that type fail, with very litle usage.
The integrated cable ones seem more robust.
Title: Re: Tech question for computer buffs.
Post by: Hamish McTorsk on February 14, 2009, 07:53:15 AM
Quote from: jgrloit on February 12, 2009, 12:03:51 PM
Maplin also do a double Com from USB adapter, as well as a single.
In would advise you NOT to get the Single, which uses a seperate cable, rather than an integrated one as I have had that type fail, with very litle usage.
The integrated cable ones seem more robust.

Thanks for that.
I´m not quite sure what you mean, can you please post a link to the "double com"
Title: Re: Tech question for computer buffs.
Post by: rogerl on February 14, 2009, 12:05:06 PM
I have one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5859  Currently $4.61 including delivery. Works fine.

dealextreme do about half a dozen different types.
Title: Re: Tech question for computer buffs.
Post by: jgrloit on February 14, 2009, 12:19:56 PM
I have both a single and a double comport versions, from USB
Single is ZP43W
Double is N04GF
The single that failed was a A86AN.