AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Allocator on February 14, 2009, 05:50:50 PM

Title: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 14, 2009, 05:50:50 PM
Anybody interested in a map window for RB that you can run undocked on a separate monitor?  It's purely a viewing window for live tracks without any interaction with RB, but it's free :-)

Not my work, but I can let you know where to find it!

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/3278544539_824295f452.jpg)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/3278544539_325588cd10_o.jpg
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: DaveReid on February 14, 2009, 05:59:25 PM
Quote from: Allocator on February 14, 2009, 05:50:50 PMIt's purely a viewing window for live tracks

Another good reason for not upgrading to V2.1  :-)
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 14, 2009, 06:02:03 PM
Maybe if we are really good and promise not to tell anybody, AirNav will forget to put the delay on port 30003 :-)

After all, if we choose to use the port 30003 data, we have to make an effort to do so, so any problems are our fault!
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: CAM on February 14, 2009, 06:16:08 PM
So where do we find it Allocator !
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: LiveATC on February 14, 2009, 06:42:37 PM
Very interesting, but it is possible to run at Euroscope
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: OKC-Steve on February 14, 2009, 06:54:51 PM
Quote from: LiveATC on February 14, 2009, 06:42:37 PM
Very interesting, but it is possible to run at Euroscope

If Euroscope would make a socket reader for port 30003 of the SBS and RB, I'd throw away everything and buy that!

The program is a Java 1.6 program I've been playing with. The intent was to view my screen remotely.  The map syntax is similar to vatsim, but is dumber.  Take a look at the examples.

http://sbsviewer.googlecode.com
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 14, 2009, 07:01:56 PM
OKC-Steve,

Welcome to the "Dark Side" :-)

I have SBS Viewer running full-screen on my second LCD monitor right now!  I do think that you might have to change the name though, something like RBSBS Viewer - no, that's no good, sounds like Royal Bank of Scotland BS!
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: OKC-Steve on February 14, 2009, 08:39:21 PM
Quote from: Allocator on February 14, 2009, 07:01:56 PM
OKC-Steve,

Welcome to the "Dark Side" :-)

I have SBS Viewer running full-screen on my second LCD monitor right now!  I do think that you might have to change the name though, something like RBSBS Viewer - no, that's no good, sounds like Royal Bank of Scotland BS!

I usually run two windows: one is zoomed in to our two airports, and only shows 10k and below, and then the big window shows the whole state at 10k and higher.

Maybe "peepshow" no wait, that's already taken...  Actually, it was originally called SocketViewer so maybe that would be good.

Just to let people know, a few of us have been testing the networking code, and have declared it not ready for prime time, so I'm going to re-do all of that.  I didn't make enough hooks to restart on error.  The network just kind of fades away (too soon actually).
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: waddington1 on February 14, 2009, 10:53:23 PM
Hi how do you start the program, I have downloaded it SBS viewer, I click on it and nothing happens, sorry if I am being a bit thick.

stu
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: OKC-Steve on February 14, 2009, 11:05:26 PM
Put the program in your C:\users\<username> where username is what you login with.  Make sure you have Java 1.6 SE JRE installed (available from java.sun.com) see the SE link on the right of that page.

Put the sv.conf and map.dat in that directory as well.

With java installed on windows, you just need to left double click it, or most people make a desktop shortcut.

or you can CD to that directory in a dos window and type:

java -jar SBSViewer.jar

Steve


Quote from: waddington1 on February 14, 2009, 10:53:23 PM
Hi how do you start the program, I have downloaded it SBS viewer, I click on it and nothing happens, sorry if I am being a bit thick.

stu
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 15, 2009, 09:45:41 AM
The path confused me a bit, but this is what it means (at least in XP):

C:\Documents and Settings\Allocator

as Allocator is my PC user\logon name

in the Documents and Settings directory, you can usually see directories such as these:

All Users
Default User
Allocator - your PCuser/logon name
LocalService
NetworkService
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 15, 2009, 12:11:46 PM
Had to set the fonts a bit smaller so that I could see all the traffic :-) Click the link below the picture for full size.

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/3281350192_0314799905.jpg)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/3281350192_afa517811f_o.jpg
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: tarbat on February 15, 2009, 12:21:09 PM
Is it possible to display routes as well (as in Planeplotter)?
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 15, 2009, 12:45:49 PM
No, as it gets all its information from the port 30003 output.  I guess that reading routes would require a separate database lookup - maybe Steve can answer that question?

I prefer the display to PP, but it is only live traffic that you will see - then that's what a lot of people have said that they want :0)
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: tarbat on February 15, 2009, 01:01:00 PM
Agreed.  I currently use Planeplotter as my pseudo-undocked window on a separate monitor, as much for local live data as for the shared live data.

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3280614529_f7cd975bab.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/3280614529/sizes/o/)
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 15, 2009, 05:41:44 PM
I'm surprised that there is so little interest in this thread, seeing as though the ability to run an undocked map window was high on the priority list for a number of users not too long ago.

Maybe AirNav don't need to bother with this as a development priority?
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: OKC-Steve on February 15, 2009, 06:32:22 PM
Quote from: Allocator on February 15, 2009, 05:41:44 PM
I'm surprised that there is so little interest in this thread, seeing as though the ability to run an undocked map window was high on the priority list for a number of users not too long ago.

Maybe AirNav don't need to bother with this as a development priority?

It might be more complex than that.  People may still want an undocked display, but not in the form of two separate products.  They may only want to run one piece of software, and not two, three or four.
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: RodBearden on February 15, 2009, 06:34:38 PM
That's true for me, Steve - also there must be many people who haven't got the desk space (or the money) for a second screen!

Rod
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 22, 2009, 10:28:28 AM
Still playing with SBS Viewer to watch RadarBox port 30003 output.

Green tags are level, red is descending and blue climbing traffic.  Prediction vectors are set at 60 seconds and VOR names are on.  Height filters are set to show all traffic.  Manchester EGCC weather is being displayed.

Click on the link under the picture for full size.

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3299191673_54876f4aae.jpg)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3299191673_a670b80ca6_o.jpg
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Keith L on February 22, 2009, 03:40:23 PM
I plucked up courage to try this today.  Installation and configuration were very easy and the results excellent.  I particuarly appreciate having the squawk on the aircraft data tag.  Is it possible to configure RB to show the squawk?  Thanks for bringing it to our attention Allocator.

Keith
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: robbieinderry on February 24, 2009, 11:35:38 AM
Quote from: Allocator on February 15, 2009, 05:41:44 PM
I'm surprised that there is so little interest in this thread, seeing as though the ability to run an undocked map window was high on the priority list for a number of users not too long ago.

Maybe AirNav don't need to bother with this as a development priority?
i am lost on this one, do i need a second screen,i downloaded all to a folder on my
desktop and download the java but noting happens when i click the SBSViewer18
it trys to open but then nothing happening
help
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: abrad41 on February 24, 2009, 12:11:30 PM
Same thing here too, when I click on the SBSViewer18 file, nothing happens.
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Keith L on February 24, 2009, 12:20:32 PM
Try renaming the files to:-

SBSViewer.jar
map.dat
sv.conf

You may well find it worthwhile to edit sv.conf (with Notepad) to enter appropriate coordinates before trying to run the programme again.  For info the crucial first few lines of the .conf file should look somewhat like these:

#
# Config File for SBSViewer
#
# Uncomment if you have a radarbox
#
hardware.rx = rb
#
# The lat/lon is degree's and fraction of degree's (not minutes)
#
station.longitude = -00.368333
station.latitude = 51.8745
#
# Feet, Used for Density Altitude calculation
#
station.alt = 525
#
# The following is displayed on the window title
#
station.name = Luton EGGW
#
# Must be one of the metar sites at ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/decoded/
# 3 sites maximum and we assume there will be at least metar1
#
station.metar1 = EGGW
#station.metar2 = KPWA
#station.metar3 = KDEN
#
# Colors are Red, Green, Blue

also, adujst your screen settings to correct screen size and zoom, this works well for me:

# The address and port where the SBS-1 hardware is located
#
socket.address = 127.0.0.1
socket.port = 30003
#
screen.height = 1024
screen.width = 1280
screen.scale = .009

That should get you going and then you can continue editing the .conf file to your requirements.

HTH Keith
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 24, 2009, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: robbieinderry on February 24, 2009, 11:35:38 AM
Quote from: Allocator on February 15, 2009, 05:41:44 PM
I'm surprised that there is so little interest in this thread, seeing as though the ability to run an undocked map window was high on the priority list for a number of users not too long ago.

Maybe AirNav don't need to bother with this as a development priority?
i am lost on this one, do i need a second screen,i downloaded all to a folder on my
desktop and download the java but noting happens when i click the SBSViewer18
it trys to open but then nothing happening
help

You can't just put the files in any folder.  A limitation of the software is that the files MUST go in the Documents and Settings folder in the User directory.

For example, my PC User Name is Allocator.  This is what I set it to be when I installed Windows, and it's what I'm presented with when I run windows - when I type in my access password.  Your name will obviously be different.

So, I put the 3 files in:

C:/Documents and Settings/Allocator

The 3 files are:

SBSVier.jar
sv.conf
and the map file renamed to map.dat as discussed earlier in the thread.

You do not need a second monitor, you do need the latest version of the Java runtime and you do need to set your location in the sv.conf file as described above.

Read all the way through the thread for all the info.

Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: OKC-Steve on February 24, 2009, 01:37:08 PM
I don't remember why I made it so you have to put it in your home directory.  Maybe it was a feature! ha.  Anyway, on Linux it has to go in /home/<login name> and in windows C:\users\<login name> for Vista, and I think C:\Documents and Settings\<login name> for XP.

Essentially on WIndows it should go in where the output of this macro says:

Open a DOS window and type:

echo %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

and yes, rename any downloads to SBSViewer.jar.  I had to upload the files to google using a different name each time. It seems they must add some browser code that doesn't download anything if the file names are the same.  I think it was an IE thing.  Anyway, to knock that crap off, I upload it with a version number, but then you have to rename it after downloading.
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: robbieinderry on February 24, 2009, 06:36:09 PM
Quote from: Allocator on February 24, 2009, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: robbieinderry on February 24, 2009, 11:35:38 AM
Quote from: Allocator on February 15, 2009, 05:41:44 PM
I'm surprised that there is so little interest in this thread, seeing as though the ability to run an undocked map window was high on the priority list for a number of users not too long ago.

Maybe AirNav don't need to bother with this as a development priority?
i am lost on this one, do i need a second screen,i downloaded all to a folder on my
desktop and download the java but noting happens when i click the SBSViewer18
it trys to open but then nothing happening
help

You can't just put the files in any folder.  A limitation of the software is that the files MUST go in the Documents and Settings folder in the User directory.

For example, my PC User Name is Allocator.  This is what I set it to be when I installed Windows, and it's what I'm presented with when I run windows - when I type in my access password.  Your name will obviously be different.

So, I put the 3 files in:

C:/Documents and Settings/Allocator

The 3 files are:

SBSVier.jar
sv.conf
and the map file renamed to map.dat as discussed earlier in the thread.

You do not need a second monitor, you do need the latest version of the Java runtime and you do need to set your location in the sv.conf file as described above.

Read all the way through the thread for all the info.


I followed your instruction i can open program now, getting weather ok but no map just blue screen,i live in northern ireland.
thanks robbie
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 24, 2009, 06:39:52 PM
Robbie,

Have you downloaded the UK map and renamed it to map.dat?

Can you see aircraft on the map?

Have you tried zooming out - rotate mouse wheel away from you?
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: robbieinderry on February 24, 2009, 07:25:05 PM
Quote from: Allocator on February 24, 2009, 06:39:52 PM
Robbie,

Have you downloaded the UK map and renamed it to map.dat?

Can you see aircraft on the map?

Have you tried zooming out - rotate mouse wheel away from you?
thanks Allocator we are getting there slowly got map, on aircraft.is just live traffic i will see
as my aerial is in door i get about 40miles
(http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/robbiecber/raddarmap.jpg)
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Allocator on February 24, 2009, 07:38:14 PM
Robbie,

Yes, it's just live traffic as that is all that comes out of port 30003.

OKC-Steve here on the forum is the guy who has produced this.  It's not interactive like the RB map, so it's not a replacement, but if you do have a second monitor it's nice to have in addition to the RB window.

It is a good example of what can be done with the port 30003 data if you are clever enough :-)
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: robbieinderry on February 25, 2009, 12:25:39 PM
Quote from: Allocator on February 24, 2009, 07:38:14 PM
Robbie,

Yes, it's just live traffic as that is all that comes out of port 30003.

OKC-Steve here on the forum is the guy who has produced this.  It's not interactive like the RB map, so it's not a replacement, but if you do have a second monitor it's nice to have in addition to the RB window.

It is a good example of what can be done with the port 30003 data if you are clever enough :-)

hi thanks okc-steve for the program and allocator/all for the help.
count got get aircraft until i switch off my squawk box, all going well
i like it,and if i can download it anybody can.
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: AirNav Support on February 25, 2009, 05:29:49 PM
Even we had a quick play around and found it nice to get a simple view of whats going on  from another PC as attached. The only concern we had was that under more than 20 tracks it was slow to respond and using quite a lot of our CPU power.

Otherwise its nice :)
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: OKC-Steve on February 25, 2009, 06:50:54 PM
Thanks all for trying it!  I've been trying to find a project that would allow me to learn an Object Oriented language.  I picked Java because the tools were free.  If you think the program is slow, you should have seen it a few months ago, ha.

My boss has decided that we are going to use .Net and C#, so again I picked the wrong language to learn!

My sole intent was to watch my ADS-B receiver from the Patio, and it suffers a bit of feature creep.

The C# version should be even better (smile).
Title: Re: RadarBox Undocked Map Window
Post by: Keith L on February 25, 2009, 07:33:30 PM
Steve, you've done a good job here.  I appreciate it and I think it won't do your resume any harm :-}