Just an FYI. At this weekends SBS Open Day @ ML&S, there was talk of the "other" product getting a software upgrade to Basestation 2. Targeted for launch this summer. With a new, three-dimensional map, cockpit view, rendered aircraft, weather overlays.
Just something to note for future development plans for Radarbox. A weather overlay would be useful, the rest just sound like "eye-candy".
:-) They also promised t their customers mapmode-s 3 years ago and nothing yet (but still advertised).
That is simply the way the "other" product works: always promised something even if you can't get it.
At work we use Flight Sentry (the profesional version of Flight Explorer) which has all the weather features and shows all the published Atlantic and Pacific tracks for the day. These would be a useful addition to Radarbox from my point of view as it would give you a good idea as to where the traffic is overflying.
Regarding Kinetic SBS-1: it is unbelievable how they still lie to their customers everyday and there are still those who believe them. Like the "new" SBS-1e which only new feature is an ethernet port and which sensitivity is lower than RadarBox. Now they will have a "brand new" software which only change is the ability to zoom more. Sincerely and in business terms the most important think, in our opinion is being on the side of the users.
Regarding and as posted on another thread, V2.10 will not be V2.01 with some bugs corrected. Expect some important changes in terms of graphics. We are developing a brand new application to replace AirNav Live Flight Tracker and we are using all its technology on the new RadarBox software. The down side of this is that it will take more time to release it. The applications starts to look impressive.
Tommyg: can send us a private message with more details on how you use Flight Explorer at work? We have some questions for you.
Airnav, can you give us some idea of timescales for v2.10. It's dissapointing that v2.10 hasn't met it's "end of January" promise.
We've been waiting for the fix to show Flight IDs (http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1372) on many airlines (eg Loganair, Flybe, etc.) since September last year. It's the one feature that the Kinetic SBS-1 has that is broken in Radarbox, and was promised to be fixed urgently.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather you fixed the bugs instead of changing the graphics to make it look impressive.
Totally agree Tarbat. Military is my main interest and there's many types that don't show the callsign. Bugs/Glitches should be a top priority over any new features. Hopefully we'll find out what's going on with v2.10 soon.
I concur with Tarbat's comments. Please fix the current incarnation of the software as a priority.
And Airnav, with respect, may I suggest that with your persistent defamatory comments about a rival company's product, you are skating on dangerously thin ice...
DC
So, what do everyone else think? Should Airnav concentrate on bug fixes for v2.10, and leave enhancements such as impressive graphics, weather overlays, etc. for v3.0?
Kinetic and KineticDavid, I apologise for this remark, and will refrain from any further postings that may be intepreted as libel.
So, I publicly apologise for any postings I have made on this or the Kinetic forum that may have been interpreted as libel.
Quote from: bratters on February 17, 2009, 09:44:27 AM
Gordon Bennett - if Kinetic have even a half-decent lawyer, they'll skin you alive.
Looks as if they may try.
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9096 (http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9096)
And in this litigious climate, it's a good idea to take care when you edit quotes - for example the quotes from both AirNav and Bratters in the previous post are wrongly attributed.
In defence of Tarbat, not that he needs me to defend him, libel is only libel if the statements made are untrue - however what any company has or hasn't promised and has or hasn't delivered is presumably a matter of public record and not subject to dispute.
Hi
I can wait. Better to get it wright. As far Mil callsigns are concerned that is down to the operator. Sometimes we see Test01. This could have been put by the engineer who fitted the kit when he was testing it. Then it stayed. Sometimes they are deliberately vague as ZZZZZZZ or 00000. Sometimes the aircraft registration.
Dudley
Dudley, it's a well documented bug (http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1372) that even when an aircraft is transmitting a Flight ID, Radarbox does not always display it. This has been proven by comparing a Radarbox and SBS-1 running side-by-side. The SBS-1 displayed all the Flight IDs, and Radarbox misses many from certain airlines/aircraft.
Guys,
Although I'm not a regular contributor to the forum I have had my Radar box for nearly a year ad a half now and have enjoyed the professional advice and add-ons from the experts who regularly post on here ,Tarbat Allocator,Rod etc . At the moment it saddens me to read the constant bickering , the 'we said they said our toy is better than your toy' philosophy that is all too apparent at the moment . For god sake guys we know that the Air Nav is better than SBS in certain features and SBS has attributes that Air Nav doesn't have at the moment but will have in the future. We know each will try to outdo each other and the winners will be us,the enthusiasts who love aviation and and the huge enjoyment we get from our gadgets.
So please please can we get back to the way the forum was, fun, informative and a font of knowledge that we have all tapped into as we have learnt how to get the most out of our radar boxes.
If any new potential customers decided to check out the forum before buying how childish must we look? No offence was meant with the above to anyone connected with Air Nav or furum contributors just had enough....
I agree wholeheartedly with Spanman above. If this bickering continues I will not bother with this forum again.
I'm waiting now 1,5 years for this fix so I will go for bug fix.
Harry
Quote from: tarbat on February 17, 2009, 09:37:23 AM
So, what do everyone else think? Should Airnav concentrate on bug fixes for v2.10, and leave enhancements such as impressive graphics, weather overlays, etc. for v3.0?
I'll wait for the bug fix too.
spanman and tommyg,
Totally agree with you comments.
I'm relatively new to this forum but reading various posts it seems to me , certain people like to have a pop at Air Nav at any given opportunity. What seems to be a simple topic turns into a slanging match.
Can we just let Air Nav get on with improving this already excellent product even more.
We have been told already why version 2.10 has been delayed . I would rather wait for all bugs and new additions to be fully operational before new version released.
Cheers
Phil
Quote from: tarbat on February 17, 2009, 09:37:23 AM
So, what do everyone else think? Should Airnav concentrate on bug fixes for v2.10, and leave enhancements such as impressive graphics, weather overlays, etc. for v3.0?
I'd vote for a bug fix release, with the enhanced version later. My reasoning for this is:
1) Some of the bugs are annoying enough to be fixed urgently
2) Bug fixes are sometimes imperfect themselves, so the enhanced release gives a second bite at the cherry to fix them more completely
I am basing this on a educated guess that little of the modified code for the enhanced version will overlap with the areas needing work to fix bugs.
I agree.
Adding new bells and whistles while failing to fix long-standing, well-known, documented bugs sends out the wrong signals IMHO.
From a long time career in selling the comment re knocking the competition is important. This is because if you have to resort to knocking the competition all you are doing is advertising to the world that you have nothing good to say about your own product. RB you are not in this situation, I converted from SBS about 3 months ago and am delighted with my decision. Personally I don't mind if you want to compare, it's just that you are wasting your time and giving SBS free air time, please don't do it, you are letting yourselves down. This from a Brit who in a global financial meltdown (allegedly) doesn't support home grown but buys the best - in my view
Keep up the good work and I look forward to any improvements you are able to make to the software
I'd like the bugs fixed really, but it depends on the time scale for version 2.1.
Just how far away is it? If its a 'reasonable' time i.e max two months and will fix all the bugs present within 2.0 and have all the new bells and whistles, then I'd be happy to wait for the new version. Over two months, well, lets get the bugs sorted please.
Also, I'd rather we concentrated on RB rather than compare in a negative manner the other system. It benefits no one and this forum has always been friendly and professional until of late. Lets return to the previous excellent AirNav RB Discussion Forum values - please!
i agree !!!!
First fix the "old" bugs ... before new "lights",
and for me one of my disappointment is not to have possibility of having long trace
of planes to follow them (especialy during flight test procedures, as the A380).
SBS-1 can do it !!!
Regards,
F6GSG
hi guys, totally agree get the bugs fixed first especially the flight id`s!!!!!!!!
mark
I also agree with Spanman and Tommyg lets get back to what this site was and should again become, a friendly, informative and interesting place to share help and information on the, in my humble opinion, fantastic Airnav Radarbox. I have had endless suppport already from those mentioned above by Spanman and others. I have found Airnav as a company are open and do listen to us their customers, we should be able to offer suggestions, alittle crriticism if required but they also deserve to hear the praise which again ifeel the radarbox warrants. It simply makes this part of the hobby superb. I also can't wait for the new versions to come online, yes it is important also to have the bugs fixed sooner rather than later. But come on this already is a good piece of kit and for enthusiasts has to have moved the hobby forward. The competition has to be good for everyone especially us the end users. I think the virtual radar scene has added something special to this hobby which i simply find addictive. My choice is Airnav and I say Long Live radarbox. But the fact there is opposition surely keeps both those parties busy making sure their product gives the buyer what they want and it is then up to the user to find the most suitable weapon of choice.
John
Regarding comparing our product with the competition, there is a special thread for that:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=606.0
We want to keep this forum has a positive place.
We don't want to bring the negative and aggressive tone of the "other" forum here.
Anyway we cannot keep listening to all the lies and wrong facts and not comment there. We have had serious problems in the past with ML&S (our previous distributor) and we will not accept more lies being told to our customers and possible new users.
Regarding what really matters: all dealers report that RadarBox is a huge success and the number of users/month continues to increase. Dealers reports that RadarBox is much more successful than our competition nowadays and that has a reason: respect and working continuously on new updates.
Regarding V2.10: it is better to wait more time for something amazing than have a minimal upgrade ASAP. Be sure we are working (now 16 hours/day) on an amazing system that will leave everyone happy.
To finish we had to lock this topic as we don't want to turn this forum into a negative place.