AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 04:51:57 PM

Title: New user quick help
Post by: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 04:51:57 PM
Greetings folks,

Purchased an Airnav box a few weeks ago, my first foray into Mode-S.
Something that is not obvious to me is how to update the airframe data in relation to their HEX codes. I see that it is possible to manually change or add records, but is there any download similar to that provided by GAS for SBS-1?

I note that 'new' airframes are automatically updated as they appear on the Airnav network, but I also note that airframes that have long changed registration still show as their old registration. Examples:

G-TOYM picks up as G-OHAJ
G-OZBS picks up as G-TTIA

Curiously both these airframes were registered around the same time.

Finally I find that the hardware randomly disconnects quite frequently, but without a regular pattern. I am using it with two machines and two operating systems (HP Pavilion laptop/Vista and Samsung NC-10/XP).
Is this normal, do I have a faulty box, or am I just doing something wrong?

Any guidance gratefully received
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: RodBearden on March 08, 2009, 04:58:42 PM
Hi Laurence and welcome to the forum!

First question is a regular one - you either update the NavDadata database manually, or delete the eroneous records and wait for them to be autopopulated next time the aircrafft appears.

Second question - try a different USB cable between the RB and the PC - this seems to be quite a common fault :-(

Hope that helps

Rod
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: Allocator on March 08, 2009, 06:29:46 PM
Laurence,

There is a good video tutorial on the AirNav RadarBox support page here:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Database_Explorer.wmv

Unfortunately, no database is 100% accurate and if you already have an aircraft record in the RadarBox database, then it isn't overwritten by the auto-populate function - otherwise any manual changes you had made would be lost!

Your RadarBox should not disconnect.  This has been an issue in the past when there is a power saving mode set for the USB port, or if an over long USB cable is being used.  RadarBox gets its power through the USB lead, so if the power drops, then so does the connection.  Are you using the supplied USB cable?
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: darkskies74 on March 08, 2009, 07:09:46 PM
Hi, new here, been using Airnav live flight tracker for a while but want to purchase Radar box. Have a few Q's.....

1) If I buy the Radar box, can I see other aircraft from other radar boxes without having to have the professional version?

2) What's the difference between pro version and standard?

3) Will the Radar box I buy in UK work in Australia?

Thanks :)
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: Allocator on March 08, 2009, 07:17:22 PM
Hi darkskies,

1. With the standard RadarBox, you will get 12 months free access to the RadarBox Network and you will be able to see all the traffic shared by other RadarBox users, wherever they are in the world.  After 12 months, the Network access will cost 5 Euros per month.  Network data is delayed by 5 minutes for security reasons.

2. There isn't a "Professional" version of RadarBox, but there is a subscription for access to live Network data, rather than the standard 5 minutes delayed.  You won't mix up the two, as professional access is at a professional price - big bucks - and only available to professional and Government organisations.

3. RadarBox will work anywhere in the world.  The majority of airliners will show on the map, some will only show in the list (older airliners or those without a modern Mode S fit) and some won't show at all - small light aircraft and helicopters.

Hope this helps :-)
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 08:09:55 PM
Quote from: RodBearden on March 08, 2009, 04:58:42 PM


First question is a regular one - you either update the NavDadata database manually, or delete the eroneous records and wait for them to be autopopulated next time the aircrafft appears.



Rod,
Thanks for the welcome.

Just so I have got this correct I can either:

1. Manually update records one by one

2. Autopopulate, which presumably:

i. Only works when linked to the network?
ii. Only 'autopopulates' aircraft with HEX codes that are being picked up during that network session?

Would I be correct in assuming therefore that a non-renewal of subscription would result in the need to update the aircraft list manually, one by one?

With regard to 'autopopulation' I use one machine with an internet connection, one without. Should I occasionally connect the second one to the internet to update the aircraft list?
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: Allocator on March 08, 2009, 08:15:20 PM
Laurence,

Auto-populate works when you are connected to the INTERNET, you can switch off Network processing and auto-populate still works.

As far as I'm aware, the only function you loose when your Network subscription ends, is Network traffic.  Everything else, including auto-populate will still work.

Is there anybody here who has not renewed their subscription that can confirm this?
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: RodBearden on March 08, 2009, 08:45:07 PM
Laurence

Autopopulate only works with aircraft that are currently being received in MyFlights (and, if you're on the network, network flights). This process updates Navdata.db3.

If you want to update the database on the non-internet PC, you will have to copy Navdata.db3 to it (possibly by memory stick) from the internet PC.

In the past, AirNav have confirmed that populate and photo update will still work without you having a network subscription.

Rod
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: AirNav Support on March 08, 2009, 08:47:25 PM
Subscription will only affect the network, nothing else.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: RodBearden on March 08, 2009, 08:54:00 PM
I found this thread useful:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1599.msg12510#msg12510 (http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1599.msg12510#msg12510)

Rod
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 09:09:24 PM
Quote from: Allocator on March 08, 2009, 06:29:46 PM
Your RadarBox should not disconnect.  This has been an issue in the past when there is a power saving mode set for the USB port, or if an over long USB cable is being used.  RadarBox gets its power through the USB lead, so if the power drops, then so does the connection.  Are you using the supplied USB cable?

Thanks for the link.
I am using the supplied USB cable, so maybe I need to try a different one.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 09:24:13 PM
Thanks Rod, Allocator and 'Airnav' for helping to clarify things.

Now if there was only a way to make global updates of the db3 file!
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: darkskies74 on March 11, 2009, 09:58:18 PM
Quote from: Allocator on March 08, 2009, 07:17:22 PM
Hi darkskies,

1. With the standard RadarBox, you will get 12 months free access to the RadarBox Network and you will be able to see all the traffic shared by other RadarBox users, wherever they are in the world.  After 12 months, the Network access will cost 5 Euros per month.  Network data is delayed by 5 minutes for security reasons.

2. There isn't a "Professional" version of RadarBox, but there is a subscription for access to live Network data, rather than the standard 5 minutes delayed.  You won't mix up the two, as professional access is at a professional price - big bucks - and only available to professional and Government organisations.

3. RadarBox will work anywhere in the world.  The majority of airliners will show on the map, some will only show in the list (older airliners or those without a modern Mode S fit) and some won't show at all - small light aircraft and helicopters.

Hope this helps :-)

Great help. Many thanks!!
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: darkskies74 on March 14, 2009, 11:23:01 PM
Does anyone know if Radar box can run with live flight tracker? I've got Live flight tracker 6, and am not sure if it's worth keeping it if I get RBox.
If I get RBox and Airnav suite together, will that give me good coverage of NorthWest UK (where I live) and the N.Atlantic (which is also what I want with my ever trusty AOR8000 HF receiver)?

Cheers :o)
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: AirNav Support on March 14, 2009, 11:53:26 PM
You can have Live Flight Tracker run at the same time as RadarBox but they won't interact with other, the same goes for Suite.

RadarBox and its network will allow you perfect coverage of NW UK and many other places around the globe. As we don't have any RBs in the Atlantic :) your Live Flight Tracker will give you a view of the Atlantic.

We are considering requests about having some of the Live Flight Tracker data available to RB network customers in the future.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: darkskies74 on March 15, 2009, 03:55:32 PM
Quote from: AirNav Support on March 14, 2009, 11:53:26 PM
You can have Live Flight Tracker run at the same time as RadarBox but they won't interact with other, the same goes for Suite.

RadarBox and its network will allow you perfect coverage of NW UK and many other places around the globe. As we don't have any RBs in the Atlantic :) your Live Flight Tracker will give you a view of the Atlantic.

We are considering requests about having some of the Live Flight Tracker data available to RB network customers in the future.

Thanks for that :o)
Just wondering are there any of the prgrams that will run together? Just want to know as much as poss b4 I buy.

Cheers
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: AirNav Support on March 15, 2009, 03:59:28 PM
ACARS Decoder will interact with RadarBox. So you will know which aircraft you pick up by RadarBox are also sending ACARS messages and what they are in RadarBox 2009.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: colinhall on March 15, 2009, 04:33:35 PM
One for you Rod,

I have had the box on for the last 4 hrs. As you know I live just east of Dover. I see a Monarch A321 go over here and by the colours it was a Monarch but the ANRB says flight no MON6948, EGKK to LOWI, but the photo shows a BA 319 reg no G-TTIB ???. How do you update the pictures please mate.

Colin.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: RodBearden on March 15, 2009, 04:44:56 PM
Hi Colin

Go to www.airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net) and search for the aircraft - when you get the thumbnails, right click the one you want and choose Copy. Then open the Data/Photos folder in the Airnav folder and delete G-TTIB.jpg, then paste the file, and rename it to that.

To do a second one, delete G-TTIB,2.jpg and name the next file you past that.

Hope that helps - ask more questions if you need to!

Rod
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: darkskies74 on March 15, 2009, 05:07:24 PM
Just one more question, lol....

Having live flight tracker is great, am going to buy RBox in a bit, but as I like looking at traffic over N.Atlantic, what are my best options?

Obviously RBox won't pick up N.Atlantic, but what should I get or keep to run along side it? From my house I can see widebodied N.Atlantic traffic as it heads N.West and over the border to Scotland, I know RBox will pick these up but I want to follow them beyond its range. Is it best to keep live flight tracker or get Air nav suite? And just how much does Air nav suite pick up? More or less than flight tracker?
Any thoughts appreciated :o)
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: AirNav Support on March 15, 2009, 05:41:59 PM
Suite will not pick up the those flights and show them.

The best setup for you is RB and Live Flight Tracker.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: EGNXR on March 15, 2009, 06:16:13 PM
Quote from: colinhall on March 15, 2009, 04:33:35 PM
One for you Rod,

I have had the box on for the last 4 hrs. As you know I live just east of Dover. I see a Monarch A321 go over here and by the colours it was a Monarch but the ANRB says flight no MON6948, EGKK to LOWI, but the photo shows a BA 319 reg no G-TTIB ???. How do you update the pictures please mate.

Colin.
Hi Colin,

The other method is to go into Database explorer and update the Reg and remove the photo links then the next time its picked up it will update with the correct photo if one is available. If your a new user like me you will find quite a few out of date Regs in the database. Here is a few for Monarch.

G-MIDM now G-OZBO
G-TTIB now G-OZBP
G-TTIA now G-OZBS
G-TTIH now G-OZBT
G-TTII now G-OZBU

I Check for updated info on the following
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1
http://www.airframes.org/
http://www.libhomeradar.org/databasequery/index.php

Hope this helps
Cheers John
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: darkskies74 on March 15, 2009, 09:33:03 PM
Quote from: AirNav Support on March 15, 2009, 05:41:59 PM
Suite will not pick up the those flights and show them.

The best setup for you is RB and Live Flight Tracker.

Great, thanks.
RBox ordered, looking forward to getting it.
Hopefully will have good coverage here, 350ft above sea level!!! :o)
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: thetrees on April 06, 2009, 10:53:44 PM
Quote from: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 04:51:57 PM

G-TOYM picks up as G-OHAJ
G-OZBS picks up as G-TTIA



Just for info I deleted these two and they have both autopopulated as G-OHAJ and G-TTIA again.
I also picked up TF-LLZ last evening, which was re-registered TF-LLY some time ago.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: Allocator on April 07, 2009, 07:41:32 AM
Quote from: thetrees on April 06, 2009, 10:53:44 PM
Quote from: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 04:51:57 PM

G-TOYM picks up as G-OHAJ
G-OZBS picks up as G-TTIA



Just for info I deleted these two and they have both autopopulated as G-OHAJ and G-TTIA again.
I also picked up TF-LLZ last evening, which was re-registered TF-LLY some time ago.

Laurence,

How did you delete these 2 aircraft?  Did you use Database Explorer or did you delete the aircraft in MyLog?
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: thetrees on April 07, 2009, 05:47:54 PM
Quote from: Allocator on April 07, 2009, 07:41:32 AM
Quote from: thetrees on April 06, 2009, 10:53:44 PM
Quote from: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 04:51:57 PM

G-TOYM picks up as G-OHAJ
G-OZBS picks up as G-TTIA



Just for info I deleted these two and they have both autopopulated as G-OHAJ and G-TTIA again.
I also picked up TF-LLZ last evening, which was re-registered TF-LLY some time ago.

Laurence,

How did you delete these 2 aircraft?  Did you use Database Explorer or did you delete the aircraft in MyLog?

I deleted them from Database Explorer.
I have just done same again and closed the software. Upon reopening a search finds that the deletions were successful.
I don't think that either aircraft are around at the moment soi will report back when I pick them up tomorrow.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: thetrees on April 12, 2009, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: thetrees on April 07, 2009, 05:47:54 PM
Quote from: Allocator on April 07, 2009, 07:41:32 AM
Quote from: thetrees on April 06, 2009, 10:53:44 PM
Quote from: thetrees on March 08, 2009, 04:51:57 PM

G-TOYM picks up as G-OHAJ
G-OZBS picks up as G-TTIA



Just for info I deleted these two and they have both autopopulated as G-OHAJ and G-TTIA again.
I also picked up TF-LLZ last evening, which was re-registered TF-LLY some time ago.

Laurence,

How did you delete these 2 aircraft?  Did you use Database Explorer or did you delete the aircraft in MyLog?

I deleted them from Database Explorer.
I have just done same again and closed the software. Upon reopening a search finds that the deletions were successful.
I don't think that either aircraft are around at the moment soi will report back when I pick them up tomorrow.

I picked up G-TOYM on Friday and it did re-populate as G-OHAJ.

Another anomally picked up on Thursday was RAF E-3 43C3A5, which the db file tied up as ZH106. This particular code relates to ZH107, which was visually confirmed on this occasion.

Now the crunch. In my opinion the box and interface are superior to the competition, but the data is not. I appreciate that data cannot be 100% accurate (I have plenty of experience in that field!!), but for enthusiasts accuracy of data is crucial.
I'm not sure what the answer is, but the Gatwick Aviation Society do a pretty good job of producing a regular download for the competitor product. Surely Airnav could download this and create some comparison routine in order to maintain an up to date DB file for its users?
As a user I certainly wouldn't want the task of manually changing the DB file.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: DaveReid on April 13, 2009, 09:11:43 AM
Quote from: thetrees on April 12, 2009, 05:55:08 PMI'm not sure what the answer is, but the Gatwick Aviation Society do a pretty good job of producing a regular download for the competitor product. Surely Airnav could download this and create some comparison routine in order to maintain an up to date DB file for its users?

AFAIK, AirNav does use the Gatwick Aviation Society Database, so in theory what's in your RadarBox database should match GAS's.
Title: Re: New user quick help
Post by: kdt1 on April 13, 2009, 09:45:39 PM

in theory

Most of my Mode-s Untitled are on gas. I've giving up
this week on trying to put in the right data.

New version could be out next friday.