Is there anyone out there using this handy little tool with a PC, AOR 8000, Icom IC-R7000, Realistic 2005 or JRC NRD545. If you wonder where this is going - I'm after the pin outs for the data transfer for Reaction Tuning (tight old git that I am, I don't want to spend out buying the proprietary leads). I've just bought one of the older ones s/h.
Which model have you bought? I have got a Optoelectronics Scout 40 (1994)
Boris
Hi Boris, errrr, I'll phone a friend on that one, here's a link to it
http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/second-hand-scout-optoelectronics-frequency-counterfinder-p-6020.html?osCsid=7368aad444b84a1532947c18cdf86579
I nearly bought one years ago, but funds (ie justification to she who must be obeyed - the long haired general!) were more limited.
Radioworld contacted AOR on my behalf with reference to the connections, and AOR provided this link for AOR8000 owners, so now I won't need to purchase the cable, just need to work out how to do the same with a PC, Realistic 2005, IC-R7000 and the NRD545.
http://www.aoruk.com/archive/8000mods.htm#opto
I'll guess it is a Scout 25 or 40. I can sent you (by private e-mail) a copy of the instruction booklet if you need one.
As for the AR8000 connection: There is a FFC Adapter specially made by Optoelectronics for the AR8000. Put the flexibel adapter into the AR8000 at the bottom and off you go. No soldering required. I can sent you a diagram of this adapter if you like.
To use the Scout with a R7000, PC etc you will need a CX12AR RS-232C interface converter. I have got the diagram of this interface as well.
Greetings Boris
Hi Boris, many thanks for that. I'll let you know when it arrives.
Did you have any luck with this. I have an AR8000 and Scout. But I have lost the lead. The AR8000 was modified by Lowe Electronics with a 3.5 jack socket for the Scout lead. If I knew the connections I would have a chance.
Hi Bob, if you go to this link, look at the Opto mod. centre tip of jack carries data, outer is common/earth. A heck of a lot cheaper than the proprietary leads.
http://www.aoruk.com/archive/8000mods.htm#opto
Boris and Bob, a couple of questions - what sort of range will the Scout pick up aircraft and does it detect/log digital signals? I'm wondering whether to go for the Digital Scout, in view of the way everything's going digital, but if they don't detect more than 1/2 mile range, may not be worth going for. Your advice will be appreciated.
It's a long long time since I used it but as far as I remember the range isn't very good. Probably ok at an airshow for getting the frequencies of nearby stuff. It stores/logs 400 different frequencies and up to 255 occurrences of each frequency.
Thank's for the pinout. All I need is to find my charger next.
Hi Bob, thanks for the response, I was hoping to use it to catch the frequencies in use as A/C as come in over the UK but if they're above a couple of thousand feet (which they are of course) and call in on VHF, I'm not catching them on my scanners.
I would say no chance for that sort of thing. I seem to remember when I sat mine on the desk here it would get the occasional taxi or police car passing but aircraft thousands of feet up. No chance.