I have had the box running for like 1hr 30 mins.
Does it need more time to grow?
Thanks
John - remember that the polar diagram is set by the aircraft you receive which are broadcasting their position. As time goes by it will grow - wait until you've experienced a couple of traffic peaks - probably a full day's worth of reception - before you decide if you've got a problem.
Rod
John,
Yes it does.
How high have got the antenna? Is it in the clear?
Tom
Hi there, It is on a 12ft pole. Its mostly clear except to the west. I looked back at the polar diagram from the twig antenna, and not a vast amount of difference yet. I will keep the radar box on for a few days and see what happens!.
Thanks John
John,
As Rod said it will take a day or so.
Just a thought - you did fit the three radials, didn't you!
Tom
Hello, Yes I Did!, What are they for?
Thanks John
Hi John, it may be the case that the standard twig was picking up everything that was available, I must admit I've been very surprised by its excellent performance - it may well be that the Watson Radar Extender doesn't significantly improve my reception when I get it up, other than the fact it will be clear of the very limiting roof ridge to the East, and it's build for external use, which the standard twig isn't. It could be that your physical location is the limiting factor - sorry if that may disappoint, but it may well be the case. The 3 radials form the ground plane, the same as the CD size disc with the standard twig. About 20 years ago, I built a discone out of thin stainless steel sheet, to the same dimensions as a Royal discone, the performance was hugely better, but couldn't be erected outside - interesting exercise though!
Hi there! I have left it on over night and now I have a reasonable 360 view which did not happen on the twig antenna, I will leave a couple more days, but things are looking abit better now, compared to my last polar diagram.
Thanks for everyones help.
John
I put up the 5db RadarRama Antenna. Although my Polar diagram did not get that much bigger the flights at peak hours went from around 60 to 110.
Si in summary it did not help the overrall size of the diagram but did help the quality of data I was receiving.