What's the Coax rating on the supplied RB antenna?
Thanks
Hi kdt1, the supplied antenna has RG 174 fitted.
Thanks CoastGuardJon
What kind of loss am I looking at with the RG 174, what is it 5 meters?
What are you thinking - replacing the co-ax?
Just curious at the loss, I don't have the luxury of installing any thing
outside at this time.
I was thinking where I am at very few ADS-B show up, so when one
does I call the neighbors over for a (Quick) look. I think that's why I am so
critical at times and put the ADS-B contact under the microscope. You guys
have so much ADS-B traffic in Europe. (Unreal)
I feel there may be possible signal processing issues at the software level.
Ill quit drifting here.
Thanks
I haven't really worked it out scientifically, but I get around 50% of the aircraft in MyFlights with full ADS-B here in the West Midlands of the UK. What I am seeing though is more GA traffic with Mode S transponders, so that is distorting my average a bit, but overall, it must represent more airline traffic with full ADS-B.
Only my opinion of course ........... ;-)
I'm using the BS1100 external antenna with about 10 metres of cable - can't see any markings on it, so nothing special I guess.
Report for today attached if you are interested - 1072 aircraft so far
You Killing me! That reads like a phone Book.
Thanks
I get about 30% with ADS-B - 3,006 aircraft out of a total of 9,213.
I'm on about 40% with 4006 out of 9911 full ADSB.
I've also attached my log for today with 1020 flights so far.
Hi all,
that mentioned RG174 (RG174A/U) is twice as bad as RG58 at any length
RG58 @ 1000 MHz 55dB/100m
RG174 @1000 104 dB/100m !
Aircell5 @1000 32.8 dB/100m
Aircell7 @1000 22.5 dB/100m
so judge for yourself, even if you have only 5meters to cover it is worth getting rid
of the RG174.
IMHO there are only 2 advantages of RG174 it is very cheap and superflexible,
but flex is guaranteed also with the 5 - 7 mm dia Coaxes since most have stranded
inner wire.
rgds
Klaus
Don't laugh to hard.
Pitiful 30 off and on ADSB out of 4334
Quote from: Yachtie45 on April 12, 2009, 06:40:05 PM
Hi all,
that mentioned RG174 (RG174A/U) is twice as bad as RG58 at any length
RG58 @ 1000 MHz 55dB/100m
RG174 @1000 104 dB/100m !
Aircell5 @1000 32.8 dB/100m
Aircell7 @1000 22.5 dB/100m
so judge for yourself, even if you have only 5meters to cover it is worth getting rid
of the RG174.
IMHO there are only 2 advantages of RG174 it is very cheap and superflexible,
but flex is guaranteed also with the 5 - 7 mm dia Coaxes since most have stranded
inner wire.
rgds
Klaus
I was afraid there was going to be a substantial loss with the RG174 coax even
on a 5 meter run. Certainly doesn't help with the RG174.
I think they advertise the antenna with a low loss cable.
Thanks Klaus
Well, I use the SBS-1 standard magmount often on my RB with about the same length of cable, and I can't really see any difference in performance.
It's back to that "scientific testing" question again - lol
Low loss or not its all about how high and open you can get your aerial.
I've got mine outside at roof height its been there two weeks. I get around 40% ADSB flights 3873 of 8666. Attached is todays log and Polar. EDIT (Standard aerial)
Just for info from the logs posted G-RCEJ is now G-IFTF and 43C38A is ZH536 so ZF573 should be 43C38B.
Been updating my DB today so thats how I know:-)
HTH
Cheers John
Quote from: EGNXR on April 12, 2009, 08:39:28 PM
Low loss or not its all about how high and open you can get your aerial.
HTH
Cheers John
So you use the RG174 coax and aren't concerned because you have height?
If I had a polar diagram like that, I wouldn't care if I was using a bit of wet string :-)
Hi kdt1, use the best and least "lossy" co-ax from externa antenna, with N-type connectors, but use a very flexible (eg RG-174) co-ax patch lead for the final couple of feet or so. You need an SMA plug on the RB end, and you can't fit one of them to a heavier co-ax which is larger outside diameter (10 - 15mm, depending on which one you get) and nothing like as flexible.
Quote from: kdt1 on April 13, 2009, 01:56:43 AM
Quote from: EGNXR on April 12, 2009, 08:39:28 PM
Low loss or not its all about how high and open you can get your aerial.
HTH
Cheers John
So you use the RG174 coax and aren't concerned because you have height?
I am not concerned with the RG174 it does what it is supposed to do.
If I put the aerial on my windowledge my coverage drops to about 20Nm with about 16 - 30 returns at peak times on the box both mode-s and ADSB.
By experimenting I have increased that to over 150Nm and 150+ at peak times.
I've taken my lapop up to my local airport and achieved a similar polar diagram
with returns of over 200. So the the radar box and supplied aerial do exactly what they should do and very well. The down side to this is the supplied aerial is not specifically for external use. Any loss in the supplied aerial is not really a factor because the range that can be achieved is far greater than I can physically see.
Where are you located, whats your nearest comercial airport and are you supplying the network because I am curious to see what kind of traffic your getting.
Cheers John
Loss for you and many others just isn't a factor with you height as your polar diagram reveals KMSP is about 15 miles away, not a unreasonable distance
at all. Height is definitely the most important element here but with my limitations on height and obstructions I believe I need to also look at loss in my situation. Don't you think?
The ADS-B traffic here is few and far in between and I do turn on my share from time to time when I have contacts but they don't last long.
So if you blink your out of luck. Ha
Cheers