AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 02:55:49 PM

Title: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 02:55:49 PM
My flights stop updating when ANRB does the update of the network flights. The MSG/Sec stop all flights on my radar stop moving or updating until the network flights data is downloaded. Sometime its takes over 20 seconds to get the network flights which mean that I only have 10 seconds or so of "live" flights then it stops again to update my network flights.

Any reason or fix for this?

thanks.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: AirNav Support on April 29, 2009, 03:04:47 PM
Whats your PC spec and internet speed?
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 04:56:41 PM
Attached is the DxDiag.

Internet speed is 7.2 Mbps.

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer   INTEL_
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date   Intel Corp. RL86510A.86A.0052.P06.0305020834, 5/2/2003
SMBIOS Version   2.3
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory   2,560.00 MB
Available Physical Memory   1.62 GB
Total Virtual Memory   2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.96 GB
Page File Space   3.85 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Allocator on April 29, 2009, 08:39:22 PM
Storm,

Is your internet speed really 7.2 Mbps?  I only ask because I use a mobile broadband USB mobile phone dongle, and this shows as 7.2 Mbps - but that is the connection speed of the USB interface, not the Internet connection speed.  Often I get dial up speeds only and that does cause problems running RB with the Network.  Symptoms exactly as you say, all live contacts time out and disappear while the slow Internet connection tries to get the data.

So, I do think that this might be an issue with the connection speed.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: AirNav Support on April 29, 2009, 08:41:34 PM
We also seem to recall you have mentioned this before and that was the same reason which came up?
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Allocator on April 29, 2009, 08:52:34 PM
Here is what I mean.  The connection speed is shown as 7.2 Mbps, but a download speed test shows the actual connection speed as 2.01 Mbps - pretty good for this location, it's not always that quick!
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 09:11:27 PM
Yes. In my speed test I get 4.3 Mbps. The last time I had this issue was when an internet cable was cut. But all is normal now, actually I have noticed this problem since the last time i posted about it. Even after the cable was fixed and the internet service was back to normal the program will freeze everything including menus until the download of network data is finally downloaded.

Why would my flights be affected but the software downloading data? One should have nothing to do with the other. Does everyone's ANRB screen freeze when its downloading the data?

This problem still existed when the machine was connected to my home DSL which is 4.4Mbps. So the internet speed has nothing to do with this problem.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: AirNav Support on April 29, 2009, 09:16:09 PM
How long does it take for the download to complete?

On a 4.4Mbps connection it should download with 1/2 seconds and processing on a quick computer would be less than a second as well.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 09:32:10 PM
Ok. So given my connection and computer specs I attached earlier, how can I fix this?
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: kdt1 on April 29, 2009, 10:11:00 PM
This was a dead end for me, you might have seen this before.


http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2289.0

Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Allocator on April 29, 2009, 10:13:55 PM
Can't help much here, I can recreate the problem by deliberately connecting to the Network with a very slow, or "unpredictable" mobile broadband connection, but with a reasonable connection I can't get it to happen.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: AirNav Support on April 29, 2009, 10:14:34 PM
Well, if it taking 20 seconds. The download size is about 150-200kb. That means your net connection is getting you around 7.5kb -10kb downloaded per second which is very slow and nowhere near your 7.2mb or 4.4mb mentioned.

While in the next version we will try and get the download to be another thread so not causing the pause but even so with the download size getting larger with the network getting bigger you will be reaching times near 30 seconds soon.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 10:26:24 PM
On speedtest.net my speed is 3.5 Down 0.55 Up Latency of 12 ms. So again, its not my internet.

Therefore based on what you have said about the size of the data actually getting larger, until you find a fix, is there any option I dint know about which allows me to select which areas on the network I want? I'm sure the answer is no but worth a try.

Am I the only one with this problem? Has it been reported by anyone else before?
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: AirNav Support on April 29, 2009, 10:32:05 PM
Lets just clarify the issue here,

Is the 20 seconds delay the downloading of the data when you see the download bar in the status menu or is it the processing?

As you mention the last time you had this issue it was when a net cable was cut under the ocean. This then leads us to point to your internet connection otherwise if it was processing it should in theory occur all the time.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 10:48:42 PM
The net went back to normal a few days after my post a few months ago. The problem did not disappear and still persists. I have tried 2 different internet connections.
The freeze happens when its says Downloading Network Data or something and until its says Download Complete everything works again.

You can see a live view of the issue

Go this link: http://www.kuwaitstorm.com/storm/LiveSBS1_16.html

Open the VNC viewer or if you already have one type in okbk.myvnc.com and you'll see what I mean.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: jgrloit on April 29, 2009, 10:52:17 PM
This Internet problem sounds like a throughput problem rather than a connect speed problem.
It reminds me of having to obtain file transfer software that could handle a larger number of blocks in transit, before it insisted in receiving an ack for the first block.   Software was then written, for a dial-up file transfer network that could handle the time delay generated by the signals being routed over 4 Sat links.   I wonder if this is the same problem, but on the Internet, as indicated when your cable link was down?!!
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 10:58:38 PM
But that's the thing my first problem was quite a while ago the internet has been fine since then but still the same issue. Anyway, what do you think I could do to fix this?
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: AirNav Support on April 29, 2009, 10:58:55 PM
Storm,

Just checked, looks like a nice setup by the way with a few views.

The download and processing from what I watched took 2 seconds in total (with vnc showing changes slower it might have been quicker). It is light traffic at the moment on the network, so we will log on tomorrow during a busier a period.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on April 29, 2009, 11:09:18 PM
Great! Thanks support!
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: AirNav Support on April 30, 2009, 07:02:55 PM
Just had a look at we used the clock shown in RB and Vnc was updating 1/2 seconds and watched a a few updates which showed the processing and download taking a max 4/5 seconds.

It seemed what took a while was the intial start to download, once it started it was quick but nothing near the slow downs you mentioned of 20 seconds.
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: perezoso on May 04, 2009, 01:32:52 AM
I want to chime in here and say that I also have some RB anomalies that seem to be related to network updates. 

My box can get into these cycles where it fairly frequently (once every few minutes) suddenly indicates timeout for all aircraft being tracked. This usually happens after a seemingly delayed network update - the timeouts pop up about when the next network update is indicated as coming in 27-28 seconds.  Then the RB pretty quickly reacquires about the same set of aircraft in the next 10-15 seconds. 

The machine is dual-core Intel that's not stressed by the RB application. My internet connection, however, is very shaky.  Don't flame me please; but my intuition is that something is happening with the DNS and/or a simple lack of connection when the RB wants it.  Net result: Timeouts across the board.

I'm guessing a solid internet connection will fix this; but I do wonder if there's not some issue with the RB ap getting snagged in the (potentially failed / dropped connection) network update that is causing timeouts.

Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: kdt1 on May 04, 2009, 03:31:42 AM

A solid internet connection will help but not Fix from what I have experienced
I am hoping the new version will address the live/update/network delay
Title: Re: My Flights stop when updating Network Flights
Post by: Storm on May 04, 2009, 07:09:57 PM
So it's not just me then. I was beginning to wonder if it was a computer perdormance issue.

Support: The lag is more like 8-10 seconds. Regardless, I don't see why My Flights are tied to the network flights. IMO My Flights show continue to update normally regardless of the network update.

Anyway I hope this will be fixed in the next version?

And thanks for all the replies.