Hi as you probably know my radarbox returned on Friday following repair. I have been trying to get it set up as previously. Before the repair i was seeing around 900 aircraft in a 24hr period. At this time of day i would expect to see around 50 aircraft on myflights.
I have been getting around 700 aircraft over a 24hr period and the box has dropped out a couple of times during the 24hrs (possibly Spyware Doctor) however right now on my flights 29 aircraft are being recorded and this does seem low.
I just wonder if it is a quiet day or if for some reason my signal strength is dropping off?
John
Hi
It Has been a bit quiet, most things look to be taking a northly route.
Regards
Stewart
Hi John, just over the water from you and over the past hour or so I'm seeing on average 50-60 myflights (with my massive null to the South) which does seem a bit quiet. What I have noticed today is that it's very quiet on the GA front: there are very few biz and private aircraft on the box up here today.
cheers
Chris
I have 70 flights on at the moment near to Leeds.
Terry
Thanks Guys for the responses much appreciated. It has picked up a bit lately with 50+ aircraft showing. I'll keep an open mind on it for acouple of days but it probably was just me being paranoid.
John
john
no what you mean when my box came back it took a couple of days to convince me it was working properly even then it took a couple off polar diagrams to do so good to see you up and running again
cheers paul
John,
Might just be worth double checking the connection into the back of the RB is locked firmly home for peace of mind. The centre pin on those SMA connectors can be very quirky: some of those connectors on the market at present are of very questionable construction quality. The compression fit one I got on the patch lead with my ELAD looked like it came from Poundland (and 3 for a pound at that!).
hth
Chris
Picked up 1028 over a 7 hour period yesterday at Popham but today during a similar timespan only picked up 891 (nice Iraqi A300 included)
I currently have 20 flights showing in MyFlights only 8 of which are on the map. I would usually have 40-50 flights in MyFlights. I have also noticed that for a while now have been processing 60 -70 messages per second when I would usually handle up to 250 messages per second.
I'm not far from Leeds either, as mentioned by someone ealier, and have been used to picking up traffic as far south as Oxford but typically now I can only see traffic up to around 40 miles south.
Using the supplied hardware and have fequently checked the SMA connector is ok and it is. Is this this reduced reception the reason some of you have been returning boxes ?
Wayne,
Simple answer, No :)
Day to day conditions change such as the atmospheric conditions will affect your reception and also the traffic level, routes being used that day, winds in terms of which runways are being used.
The issue which was affected a very small amount of people was when aircraft only very close by (less than a couple of miles) were being picked up.
It is not very busy at all at the moment in the North. Only 36 here with 14 ADS-B.
cheers
Chris
OK thanks for the response although I would have thought today was perfect as regards atmospheric conditions. Now have 26 in MyFlights, 8 on the map and the furthest one south plots at 56.8 miles and i know after 15 months of using RB I usually see further.
Tending to lose stuff southbound around the TRENT VOR which is really quite local for me and can usually see stuff down to the DAVENTRY area. That was the basis of my concern really because it's the same most days.
Hi seems yesterday was just quiet. 640 aircraft logged so far today and an average of mid 50s on my log. Gad to report it sure seems the box ix back and working well.
John
Quote from: Wayne on May 03, 2009, 05:43:59 PM
OK thanks for the response although I would have thought today was perfect as regards atmospheric conditions. Now have 26 in MyFlights, 8 on the map and the furthest one south plots at 56.8 miles and i know after 15 months of using RB I usually see further.
Tending to lose stuff southbound around the TRENT VOR which is really quite local for me and can usually see stuff down to the DAVENTRY area. That was the basis of my concern really because it's the same most days.
Hate to disagree with Airnav but sounds identical to problems I had with faulty filter. Check the aerial if you can and see if any improvement. See if any improvement in 24 hours.
Current conditions in Notts area I would describe as standard. Good luck.
Yes I am keeping an eye on it Bratters. Love the RB and having used it so long I know what I see and currently the range is vastly different no matter what anyone says !
What is there to check on the ariel ? Have frequently checked the SMA connection into the box itself which seems fine and the ariel stays where it always is.
Cheers
Quote from: Wayne on May 04, 2009, 05:54:20 PM
What is there to check on the ariel ? Have frequently checked the SMA connection into the box itself which seems fine and the ariel stays where it always is.
Cheers
If you have a second aerial it would eliminate an aerial fault, maybe in the lead or sma connection. From what you say though, it sounds as if your problem lies elsewhere.
I agree with you that after a period you know your own box and it's little idiosyncracies and you can spot a change in performance a mile off.
Grasp the nettle Wayne - get it off to the menders.
Quote from: bratters on May 04, 2009, 06:28:03 PMI agree with you that after a period you know your own box and it's little idiosyncracies and you can spot a change in performance a mile off.
Just like farmers! Farmers will pick up BSE symptoms long before a vet. will be able to detect anything. Just out of interest, cows with BSE may display some of the symptoms associated with Alzheimers!
Hi my radarbox was returned to me on the 1st May and at midnight that night I reset the polar diagram. I had been a bit concerned coverage was less than normal but I am delighted to say it seems spot on to me. I have to agree with others comments on both Airnav helping when I reported the fault and then Waters and Stanton who were excellent in dealing with the repair process. I was without the box exactly one week a good show all round.
The attached polar diagram with a DPD aerial feeding the RB is from Midnight 2nd May to just now i think it confirms that all is well.
John
Quote from: CoastGuardJon on May 05, 2009, 08:49:37 PM
Just out of interest, cows with BSE may display some of the symptoms associated with Alzheimers!
And vice versa!!!