AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Brimon on May 11, 2009, 11:48:13 AM

Title: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: Brimon on May 11, 2009, 11:48:13 AM
I leave my PC on 24/7 (The tree-huggers will love me) but don't leave the Radarbox on.To ensure the network gets the additional coverage I thought about leaving the radarbox on.
One question though what is the typical bandwidth useage of Radarbox?

I have a reasonable download allowance every month,but am quite a heavy user.
I would disable the download pictures if that would make a difference.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: malc41 on May 11, 2009, 11:51:43 AM
Brimon

I would imagine as the data is in a text format very little, as you have turned of the photo. They tend to be the real file size grabbers.

Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: WAL 2T on May 11, 2009, 12:05:30 PM
The pictures are only thumbnails. I've just looked at my photos folder and it's only 100MB. That's after more than 12 months of use so on a day to day basis the photo downloads are hardly likely to make a dent in usage.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: malc41 on May 11, 2009, 12:10:55 PM
Chris

Yes absolutely right, I assumed they would be bigger that that, so on the whole there is not a great amount being downloaded?

Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: Brimon on May 11, 2009, 12:19:07 PM
Thanks for the info all.In the interests of fellow networkers  I will try leaving it on & see how I get on.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: malc41 on May 11, 2009, 12:20:42 PM
With all the 'unlimited downloads???' that the broadband companies offer, surely its not a problem :-)
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: WAL 2T on May 11, 2009, 12:52:26 PM
I suppose you could check the network overhead reasonably accurately using DU Meter with just the RB program running at the time. Here, the cable modem lights flicker for a second every 30 secs as the network updates. I'd hazard a guess that the overall usage in a 24 hour period is negligible in the great scheme of things.

Unlimited downloads provided that they're during a time when most people are in bed ;)

Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: malc41 on May 11, 2009, 12:54:20 PM
You have time to sleep with all this activity going on? ;-)
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: tarbat on May 12, 2009, 07:17:41 AM
Bandwidth was discussed last year, and my conclusion was that a 24x7 PC running RB will consume about 18GB per month.

See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=507.msg9105#msg9105
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: Brimon on May 12, 2009, 07:43:57 AM
Thanks tarbat. Obviously,like everyone here probably, I would like to give network users the benefit of additional cover by leaving it on 24/7 but ,if the figures are right, 18GB per month is a hefty hit on bandwidth.
I will monitor it for a couple of days & decide.In the meantime thanks again.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: AirNav Support on May 12, 2009, 07:45:28 AM
Let me just confirm, you can still share data with having the network download switched off.

Sharing bandwith depends on the amount of aircraft you have but at its max it won't upload anything more than 800mb per month in busy conditions.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: Deadcalm on May 12, 2009, 08:11:58 AM
Be wary of turning off photos - as I recall there is an issue with turning off the downloading photos option affecting receipt of network traffic.  Maybe Airnav could confirm that?  I gather it's a known issue and is one of the fixes in the next version.

Have a look at: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1908.msg15302#msg15302

DC
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: AirNav Support on May 12, 2009, 08:21:10 AM
It is fixed :) Look out for it soon.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: tarbat on May 12, 2009, 09:17:22 AM
Quote from: Brimon on May 12, 2009, 07:43:57 AMThanks tarbat. Obviously,like everyone here probably, I would like to give network users the benefit of additional cover by leaving it on 24/7 but ,if the figures are right, 18GB per month is a hefty hit on bandwidth.

That 18GB per month was for DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD.  I guess the UPLOAD would be a lot less, but would really depend on the number of aircraft being uploaded to the Airnav servers.  I'm in a very light traffic area, so my upload is probably small.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: malc41 on May 12, 2009, 09:26:43 AM
Still seems a large download/month.

Where is most of the data coming from?

Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: tarbat on May 12, 2009, 09:28:48 AM
Quote from: malc41 on May 12, 2009, 09:26:43 AM
Where is most of the data coming from?

Its the download of >1000 aircraft positions/etc. every 30 seconds.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: malc41 on May 12, 2009, 09:44:54 AM
But that is only if you are connected to the network and downloading info. I think the origional message was refering to supplying info to the network?
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: Brimon on May 12, 2009, 10:52:30 AM
 
Quote from: malc41 on May 12, 2009, 09:44:54 AM
But that is only if you are connected to the network and downloading info. I think the origional message was refering to supplying info to the network?

malc, as you know I am new to the Radarbox & as such will ask stoopid questions:).
If I left the Radarbox on with the network connected, I was under the impression that I would have no option but to upload & download (with the exception of pictures) everything.Am I wrong,can I turn off other aspects?

Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: tarbat on May 12, 2009, 11:28:34 AM
You can turn off the network download, and you will still be uploading your local aircraft to the Airnav network.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: WAL 2T on May 12, 2009, 11:31:34 AM
Further observations using DU meter for the past hour. The PC is just running RB and an instance of Outlook Web Access occasionally polling my work mailbox.

Hourly total is 18.6MB with approx 1100 network flights at present

Extrapolate for the day: 446MB

For the week: 3.1GB

And the month: 12.5GB

It's worth noting that as the number of network flights drops off considerably during the late evening and wee, small hours you could treat that estimate as worst case scenario.

Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: daveg4otu on May 12, 2009, 11:37:13 AM
Since reading this I have run a monitoring app(BW Monitor)  for 2 hours....

ANRB is running
Hardware traffic only .
Average "My Flights" 55-65 showing
Photos turned OFF.
Winsend is running uploading to Libhomeradar.
IE is running  one or two pages.

The figures....

2 hours
 Downstream was 39.89MB
 Upstream             6.01MB


Taking that and  turning it into 24hrs/30days per month and you get a ballpark figure of  14GB Down.....

But...


The  traffic levels(and consequently the up/down levels ) are generally going to be far  less for the period from 8PM- 8AM(local)...so IMO   a figure (under the conditions above)  of 10-12 GBs would probably cover it.


Location is Torquay.
5miles N of BHD.

EDIT: I run twin monitors....hence IE in use at the same time.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: malc41 on May 12, 2009, 12:02:42 PM
Still a fair slice of your bandwidth if you have a restricted to monthly limits
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: tarbat on May 12, 2009, 12:13:50 PM
Quote from: malc41 on May 12, 2009, 12:02:42 PMStill a fair slice of your bandwidth if you have a restricted to monthly limits

In which case, please support my feature request to have the option to limit downloads to just those aircraft that would be visible on the current map view.  See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=507
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: OKC-Steve on May 12, 2009, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: AirNav Support on May 12, 2009, 08:21:10 AM
It is fixed :) Look out for it soon.

1st Quarter 2010?
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: AirNav Support on May 12, 2009, 12:34:04 PM
No, a test version is already out to a few members. Please read the sticky as well regarding the version on the forum.
Title: Re: Bandwidth usage?
Post by: AirNav Development on May 12, 2009, 06:20:13 PM
We can confirm that the upload is 5% of the download rates - the upload can be easily maintained with a dial-up connection.

The software has a way of predicting which messages are relevant for upload: for example an aircraft can transmit 60 ADS-B message per minute. The software will only upload one with the relevant data and when it finds the data useful.