AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: puddy on May 24, 2009, 03:02:09 AM

Title: New Member
Post by: puddy on May 24, 2009, 03:02:09 AM
Hi

I just popped in to say hello  I purchased the AirNav radar box on Friday.
 
It's a brilliant piece of kit and very easy to setup. 

I have been interested in aircraft for over 40 years now.  I am based in south Lincolnshire/Norfolk and very near to usaf and raf bases and their a firing range about 4 miles away from my house.

In addition last year I brought a internet radio and found it very useful to pick up ATC and airport towers around the world. I own  a AOR 8200 mk 3 scanner and have a cheap HF radio

There's a one problem with the radar box my Mrs was not happy about the price or me buying it. 

Kind regards

Puddy
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: AirNav Development on May 24, 2009, 06:07:15 AM
Puddy, welcome to our family. If you need any help just create a new thread on this forum or email us at [email protected]
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: TedLoon on May 24, 2009, 06:45:27 AM
Hi Puddy,
              welcome to the forum. My Mrs was not happy about the price of the RB,  so i asked her............... if the RB had a diamond on it and it would fit on a finger would the price be ok then????
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: Allocator on May 24, 2009, 08:12:09 AM
Puddy,

Welcome to the forum!

Allocator
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: daveg4otu on May 24, 2009, 08:59:49 AM
Welcome ...yes had similar conversations  about cost.... pointed out that it is only because the cost comes in one lump that makes it seem expensive.

Mrs. G4OTU is a very  keen (and extremely good)  gardener and when I started to add up what she had spent on seeds/pots/compost/ plants/ etc. etc. in the past few months - all resistance crumbled long before I got anywhere near a total figure.

Enjoy the RB -  but be warned ....it is highly addictive!

BTW...I rate gardening  somewhere  around the same level of interest as shopping or  unblocking blocked toilets.

:)
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: nortonbeak on May 24, 2009, 09:55:03 AM
Quote from: puddy on May 24, 2009, 03:02:09 AM
There's a one problem with the radar box my Mrs was not happy about the price  

Lucky that you didn't choose the alternative, then  :-)

http://www.hamradio.co.uk/acatalog/Av_RD_Kinetic_Avionics.html (http://www.hamradio.co.uk/acatalog/Av_RD_Kinetic_Avionics.html)
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: malc41 on May 24, 2009, 10:11:44 AM
Alternative i didn't think there was a real one ;-)

Welcome Puddy

Title: Re: New Member
Post by: flightchecker on May 24, 2009, 10:27:47 AM
QuoteBTW...I rate gardening  somewhere  around the same level of interest as shopping or  unblocking blocked toilets.
Things might change if you would go for a lawn tractor, Dave. Imagine: RB attached to its steering wheel, the antenna high up in the air (hold by the "non steering arm") will result into mobile operation at its finest. (endless range etc.etc.) Now that your receiver has been made "static prove", you don't even have to worry about "earthing" no more. Amazing. If you'll realize, may I come for gardening from time to time? Unfortunately don't have a garden of my own..

Kind regards

Karl
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: daveg4otu on May 24, 2009, 10:32:05 AM
Always wanted one to pay around on - just like those little mini-diggers you see around....that ...or a  Sherman tank!
:)
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: flightchecker on May 24, 2009, 10:35:48 AM
QuoteAlways wanted one to pay around on - just like those little mini-diggers you see around....that ...or a  Sherman tank!

I'd prefer the "Sherman" ;)
K.
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: TedLoon on May 24, 2009, 10:59:27 AM
Pointing at the wife
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: CoastGuardJon on May 24, 2009, 12:13:09 PM
Hi Puddy and all, what you need to do is show her what you can see and hear using RB, scanners whatever - when she shows signs of total boredom, it's time for the killer stroke - tell her she never shows interest in your hobbies/pastimes/interests etc., this sends them on a guilt trip and can be the ideal time to order a nice shiny new external antenna!
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: EK01 on May 24, 2009, 06:40:21 PM
Quote from: CoastGuardJon on May 24, 2009, 12:13:09 PM
Hi Puddy and all, what you need to do is show her what you can see and hear using RB, scanners whatever - when she shows signs of total boredom, it's time for the killer stroke - tell her she never shows interest in your hobbies/pastimes/interests etc., this sends them on a guilt trip and can be the ideal time to order a nice shiny new external antenna!

CoastGuardJon, You very bad man !
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: CoastGuardJon on May 24, 2009, 07:48:45 PM
Works better than any pair of shoes, frock or handbag!
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: puddy on June 11, 2009, 11:16:43 AM
Thank you for making me feel welcome.

my mrs is very hard to please she a tax inspector and I have given up the costing issue so I just buy things for my hobbey when i want  I did reminder her that the last time I brought a new scanner was 7 years ago.

michael
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: malc41 on June 11, 2009, 11:49:37 AM
Will you get tax relief on you network subscription when its due?
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: EK01 on June 11, 2009, 12:45:00 PM
Quote from: malc41 on June 11, 2009, 11:49:37 AM
Will you get tax relief on you network subscription when its due?

Shouldn't be a problem. MP's would qualify for it !
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: malc41 on June 11, 2009, 02:07:40 PM
And claim for two RB's when they only had one!!
Title: Re: New Member
Post by: eggplant on June 11, 2009, 09:31:47 PM
Before I invested in my RB I viewed the numerous posts on here about how addictive it can be. One member posted that his RB had to be sent back for repair,  and as such he actually engaged in a conversation with his wife - the first time in several weeks he said. When I relayed this tale to my wife she encouraged me to go and buy one !

Maybe she was trying to tell me something ! So far my RB has been fine. If/when it does stop working, then I may try a conversation with her to find out if she was joking or not.....