AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: dl1812 on May 26, 2009, 12:31:19 PM

Title: First Awayday....
Post by: dl1812 on May 26, 2009, 12:31:19 PM
Having spent several months recovering from a broken hip, I'm today making my first long-ish trip out from Home (SSW of Heathrow).
I'm currently in the AVP at Manchester Airport, with the standard aerial on the car roof.
It's showing 64 in Myflights, I'm attracting some attention wirh the RB, and all's well with the World  :o)
It just gets better....
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: malc41 on May 26, 2009, 12:52:46 PM
Hope the weather is not too bad, bit windy here
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: imropes on May 26, 2009, 01:27:58 PM
The fresh air will do you good sir. Blowing strong in W yorkshire and overheads not trailing,but very clear air means some can be seen. UR-VVO/T just gone west.
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: malc41 on May 26, 2009, 01:29:26 PM
Yes just seen those two myself. Looked out but didn't see either of them from here in North Lincs
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: imropes on May 26, 2009, 01:39:53 PM
Unlucky. They went right over the top of me and using tree tops and chimneys as markers i know where to look. Anything west of me now i will not see- position of sun. Hope the evening good with the clear air
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: malc41 on May 26, 2009, 01:51:33 PM
Thats the something I am working on at the moment, finding visual reference points
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: imropes on May 26, 2009, 02:15:21 PM
It has taken me a while. I find the range rings usefull if anything close. Only had rb a month and its great. So easy to use for non computer folk like me. works well,no probs so far.
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: malc41 on May 26, 2009, 02:31:15 PM
Yes, and with the new software imminent we should be able to pick up even more aircraft
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: dl1812 on May 26, 2009, 02:43:44 PM
Yep, I've been strugling a bit with the Airways stuffhere at the AVP; it's quite broken cloud here but windy. Must be the beans & chips I had for lunch :o)

Very pleased with the difference to Myflights that a bit of "Air" around me makes - I've had up to 72 showing so far


Cheers

Dave
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: malc41 on May 26, 2009, 02:56:34 PM
Yeah it really shows the difference when you get outside.

Under normal conditions at home I usually have about 20 in the list with about 60-80 messages

If I take the car about two minutes away these figures usual triple if not quadruple in number
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: imropes on May 26, 2009, 03:04:00 PM
Ref new software-how will this be done. Will this be a simple download or automatic? hope this wretched vista gives me no problems. Any ideas please
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: RodBearden on May 26, 2009, 03:06:59 PM
It's probably going to be a full release, so will need downloading.

Rod
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: imropes on May 26, 2009, 03:08:56 PM
Ok thanks for that
Title: Re: First Awayday....
Post by: DaveReid on May 26, 2009, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: malc41 on May 26, 2009, 01:51:33 PM
Thats the something I am working on at the moment, finding visual reference points

In the days when the SBS had a real-time socket interface,  I recall writing a little application to show which piece of sky a non-trailing aircraft was occupying at any given point in time:

(http://www.civilaircraftregisters.org/Mode_S_Resources/Aircraft%20Alerting%20with%20contrails!.jpg)