That's weird. I zoomed in on "me" and saw the position was a bit off.
I modified it and now I am not on the map.
:(
Oh, yeah I appreciate it is not accurate.
That's why I asked.
;)
Alley cat, I have just been onto the map and my position is not on, how do I put mine onto the map please ? Thanks Colin Hall, near Dover
Just wonder why the majority of locations are IP/ISP derived rather than actual (from Geo location)....
My part of the country (SW England )appears totally devoid of active stations - presumably because my ISP(AOL) now have their servers somewhere in the Midlands.
If the location info is to be available - seems pointless unless the positions are at least reasonably accurate.
A few of us laboured this same issue a while ago - it does seem a bit pointless, but we were shouted down by those who, for their own reasons, wished to remain anonymous and hide their location, even the nearest town. But I thought that there was an alternative map devised whereby we could all register where we were - what happened to that? I remember I was on that, whereas in the original map it showed me in Germany (my then ISP) when in fact I live in central southern France. Hey ho...
DC
Following on from DC's post, AirNav say that it's for privacy of individual very shy users. We've gone into this before at great length: this thread http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1685.0 (http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1685.0) has 25 pages!
The live map that AirNav provides is the best we have for now, but we all hope for improvements in the future, preferably using our home locations, but with an opt-in button to satisfy the shy and nervous ones out there (for example, maybe it's illegal to use an RB in some places).
Rod
The live map
DOES use the location entered by the RB owner in Preferences - Home Station Data. But, and its a big but, only if Google Earth can handle all the lookup requests. Many of the lookups will time-out, resulting in BLUE pins.
If you want to see the list of all user locations, just right click on the page, and View Source. You'll see all the locations listed as geoStuff statements.
geoStuff('London','UK',51.35,-0.15);
geoStuff('Sao Paulo','Brazil',-10,-55);
geoStuff('Northampton','United Kingdom',54,-2);
geoStuff('Fortaleza','Brazil',-16.0168,-41.2668);
geoStuff('Oakland','United States',37.5488,-122.3124);
geoStuff('WAL','DE',50.2167,11.9333);
geoStuff('Roskilde','Denmark',56.1,10.15);
geoStuff('Zoetermeer','Netherlands',52.05,4.5);
geoStuff('New Preston','USA',41.6123,-73.412);
geoStuff('Stevenage','England',51.9167,-0.2167);
geoStuff('Almere','Netherlands',52.1833,6.5333);
geoStuff('manchester','uk',53.5333,-2.2833);
geoStuff('Heraklion','Greece',37.95,23.7);
geoStuff('Bournemouth','United Kingdom',50.7167,-1.8833);
geoStuff('Toronto','Canada',43.6667,-79.4168);
geoStuff('São Paulo','BRAZIL',-23.5333,-46.6167);
geoStuff('Eindhoven','Netherlands',52.1333,4.45);
geoStuff('Terschelling','Netherlands',52.35,4.9167);
geoStuff('Manchester','England',51.9667,-2.7167);
geoStuff('Hattingen','Germany',51.4833,7.2167);
geoStuff('Skibby','Denmark',55.75,11.9667);
geoStuff('','United Kingdom',53.4167,-2.3);
geoStuff('Montreal','Canada',45.5,-73.5833);
geoStuff('Wilhelmshaven','Germany',53.5167,8.1333);
geoStuff('Felixdorf','Austria',48.2,16.3667);
geoStuff('CT','France',49.4167,2.8333);
geoStuff('WALLINGFORD','united kingdom',54,-2);
geoStuff('Portmahomack','Scotland',54,-2);
geoStuff('Wecker','Luxembourg',51.4,-1.3167);
geoStuff('Middlesbrough','United Kingdom',54.5728,-1.1628);
geoStuff('','',49.7167,2.8833);
geoStuff('CHATEAU-THIERRY','France',49.4167,2.8333);
geoStuff('Alfragide','Portugal',38.75,-9.2333);
geoStuff('Hockley','UK',54,-2);
geoStuff('Halifax','UK',51.3667,-0.8167);
geoStuff('MANCHESTER','ENGLAND',54,-2);
geoStuff('Woodbridge VA','US',38.8782,-77.1054);
geoStuff('scunthorpe','uk',54,-2);
geoStuff('Bolton','United Kingdom',53.5833,-2.4333);
geoStuff('france','lille',50.6167,2.2);
geoStuff('Klevar','Norway',60.05,10.8833);
geoStuff('Oslo','Norway',59.9167,10.75);
geoStuff('Breda','The Netherlands',52.0833,4.3);
geoStuff('Albertville','France',48.8333,2.1833);
geoStuff('Orlando','USA',28.4807,-81.5518);
geoStuff('Coventry','England',52.5167,-1.4667);
geoStuff('EXETER','UK',51.6,-0.1167);
geoStuff('Girona','Spain',40.4,-3.6833);
geoStuff('Faro','Portugal',37.0167,-7.9333);
geoStuff('Aalen','Germany',48.8333,10.1);
geoStuff('Melilla','Spain',36.7167,-4.4167);
geoStuff('Milton Keynes','England',51.0833,-1.55);
geoStuff('Dromahair','Ireland',52.4,-2.75);
geoStuff('Heerlen','Netherlands',52.35,4.9167);
geoStuff('St Ives','UK',51.4578,-3.3456);
geoStuff('Hartlepool','UK',51.9167,-0.65);
geoStuff('Tokyo','Japan',35.9086,139.4853);
geoStuff('Lincolnshire','UK',53.1167,-1.2667);
geoStuff('Crumlin','Northern Ireland',55.2167,-2.1);
geoStuff('Derby','UK',53.4833,-2.2668);
geoStuff('Kristiansund','Norway',63.0167,7.95);
geoStuff('Blandford North Dorset','England',54,-2);
geoStuff('Bishops Stortford','Hertfordshire',51.7833,0.1667);
geoStuff('Billericay','United Kingdom',54,-2);
geoStuff('Luton','United Kingdom',51.8833,-0.4167);
geoStuff('Madrid','madrid',40.4,-3.6833);
geoStuff('Irún','Spain',43.35,-1.7833);
geoStuff('Peterlee','UK',52.45,-2.05);
geoStuff('SÃO PAULO','BRAZIL',-10,-55);
geoStuff('Huddersfield','United Kingdom',53.4167,-1.9);
geoStuff('','',50.9833,-0.6);
geoStuff('brighouse','United Kingdom',54,-2);
geoStuff('Rotherham','United Kingdom',53.55,-1.4834);
geoStuff('Wallasey','England',53.4333,-3.0667);
geoStuff('Windsor','UK',54,-2);
geoStuff('Ballardsville KY','USA',38.3439,-85.4299);
geoStuff('Bedford','United States',42.0255,-87.8967);
geoStuff('lagarde','France',43.7333,1.6333);
geoStuff('Derby','United Kingdom',52.9333,-1.5);
geoStuff('Templepatrick','United Kingdom',54,-2);
geoStuff('sacramento','usa',38.3928,-121.3678);
geoStuff('Schenectady','USA',42.806,-73.9416);
geoStuff('Crowborough','GB',54,-2);
geoStuff('clipperton','France',48.9833,2.2332);
geoStuff('LFLX','France',48.6167,2.4);
geoStuff('Duisburg','Germany',51.2167,6.7667);
geoStuff('Horsham','United Kingdom',51.05,-0.3333);
geoStuff('Ottershaw','UK',54,-2);
geoStuff('Stockton-on-Tees','United Kingdom',54.5833,-1.4167);
geoStuff('Chichester','UK',54,-2);
geoStuff('Ponta Delgada','Portugal',38.65,-27.2167);
geoStuff('São Paulo','Brazil',-23.5333,-46.6167);
geoStuff('Banbury Oxon','United Kingdom',53.4167,-2.3);
geoStuff('Tokyo','Japan',36,138);
geoStuff('CORSHAM','ENGLAND',51.9,-1.15);
geoStuff('Norwich','UK',51.7333,0.4833);
geoStuff('hednesford','United Kingdom',54,-2);
geoStuff('london','england',52.5167,-1.8833);
geoStuff('Metheringham','England',51.6667,-0.4);
geoStuff('Olne','Belgium',50.8333,4.3333);
geoStuff('Wolfsberg','Austria',48.2,16.3667);
geoStuff('Prato','Italy',43.85,11.15);
geoStuff('Nottingham','UK',50.9667,-1.35);
geoStuff('Tunbridge Wells','United Kingdom',51.1833,-0.6);
geoStuff('VERDUN','CANADA',45.3833,-72.7333);
geoStuff('Brussels','Belgium',50.9833,4.8333);
geoStuff('Biggleswade','United Kingdom',52.0833,-0.2667);
geoStuff('Camborne','United Kingdom',51.4347,-3.18);
geoStuff('Colchester','UK',51.5,-0.1167);
geoStuff('Buchberg','Switzerland',46.5167,6.65);
geoStuff('Massy','France',46.1667,5.3333);
geoStuff('Staines','England',51.4,-0.2334);
geoStuff('Calpe','Spain',38.4833,-0.3333);
geoStuff('Macclesfield','United Kingdom',53.25,-2.1167);
geoStuff('Meigle','U.K',56.6833,-3.4);
geoStuff('Worsley','United Kingdom',53.45,-2.3167);
geoStuff('Ilford','United Kingdom',51.55,0.1667);
geoStuff('Yeri','Cyprus',35.1,33.4167);
geoStuff('LONDON','UK',51.4833,-1.0833);
geoStuff('Heerde','Netherlands',52.3833,6.05);
geoStuff('Kuwait','Kuwait',29.5,45.75);
geoStuff('Cagliari','Italy',39.5611,8.8994);
geoStuff('Frejus','France',48.8667,2.3333);
geoStuff('Almada','Portugal',38.8167,-9.0833);
geoStuff('faro','Portugal',38.7167,-9.1333);
geoStuff('Lisbon','Portugal',38.7167,-9.1333);
geoStuff('London','UK',54,-2);
geoStuff('Hadleigh','UK',51.4667,-1.0833);
geoStuff('London','UK',51.4833,0);
geoStuff('Portsmouth','United Kingdom',50.7833,-0.9667);
geoStuff('Bromsgrove','Worcestershire',54,-2);
geoStuff('Las Palmas','spain',28.1,-15.4167);
geoStuff('LEIOA','BIZKAIA ESPAÑA',43.25,-2.9667);
geoStuff('ballina','ireland',53.3331,-6.2489);
geoStuff('','',54,-2);
geoStuff('London','UK',51.8,-0.35);
geoStuff('manchester','england',52.2833,-1.5833);
geoStuff('','',51.2167,-0.5667);
geoStuff('Londonderry','UK',55.8167,-3.7167);
geoStuff('Cork','Ireland',51.9333,-8.5667);
geoStuff('CHORLEY','United Kingdom',53.6833,-2.7);
geoStuff('Ely','England',52.1,-0.6);
geoStuff('Sutton Coldfield','England',52.4167,-1.7833);
geoStuff('southend on sea','united kingdom',55.3167,-5.6333);
geoStuff('SOISY/SEINE','FRANCE',49.7167,2.8833);
geoStuff('','',54,-2);
geoStuff('Harpenden','United Kingdom',51.8,-0.35);
geoStuff('Lincoln','UK',54,-2);
geoStuff('Cedar Rapids','US',38,-97);
geoStuff('MARSEILLE','France',49.7167,2.8833);
geoStuff('Manchester','England',53.5333,-1.15);
geoStuff('Little Egg Harbor NJ','USA',39.7437,-75.3462);
geoStuff('Albany','USA',42.806,-73.9416);
geoStuff('Highworth','UK',51.75,-1.25);
geoStuff('St.helens','United Kingdom',53.45,-2.7333);
geoStuff('SHANNON','IRELAND',52.4569,-8.6486);
geoStuff('Bradford','United Kingdom',53.7833,-1.75);
geoStuff('Preston','Lancashire',53.7667,-2.7167);
geoStuff('Warboys','England',52.0667,-0.55);
geoStuff('Palma','Spain',39.5667,2.65);
geoStuff('tielt','belgium',50.8,3.1667);
geoStuff('Manchester','England',54,-2);
geoStuff('Faro','Portugal',38.7167,-9.1333);
geoStuff('Waterlooville','United Kingdom',51.2333,-1.6667);
geoStuff('Sedlescombe','United Kingdom',51.5,-0.1167);
geoStuff('Bristol','UK',54,-2);
geoStuff('Edinburgh','UK',55.95,-3.2);
geoStuff('Martock','Somerset',51.3667,0.2167);
geoStuff('Rennes','France',48.0833,-1.6833);
geoStuff('Milton','Canada',43.4333,-79.6668);
geoStuff('Milton Keynes','United Kingdom',52.0333,-0.7);
geoStuff('DERBY','ENGLAND',50.8333,-0.15);
geoStuff('Tel Aviv','Israel',31.9514,34.8953);
geoStuff('Larnaca','Cyprus',34.9167,33.6292);
geoStuff('Silecroft','UK',56.3,-3.5833);
geoStuff('clacton on sea','uk',54,-2);
geoStuff('Copenhagen','DK',55.4167,11.5667);
geoStuff('Newbury','United Kingdom',51.4,-1.3167);
geoStuff('Leigh on sea','United Kingdom',54,-2);
geoStuff('Leatherhead','United Kingdom',51.2833,-0.3167);
geoStuff('Manchester','United Kingdom',53.4833,-2.5168);
it is illegal to use in some countries so i don't like being seen on the map
cheers
frank
Tarbat- that is interesting - if only because I can't find my location in the list(Torquay .UK N50.4745 W3.5121).
Wierd!
Dave, do you have sharing turned on? Check the spelling, etc. - keep it simple, as Google has to work out your location from what you've entered as CITY and COUNTRY.
The coordinates listed are, I think, the location of your ISP.
Yes sharing (Share Flight data ) is on. Location info is as in my previous post - can't be much simpler "Torquay UK"...but I would have expected Google Earth to work of the lat/long rather than anything else.
Tho' looking at the Source code - the info is inconsistent...for example...a user in Portsmouth looks like correct lat/long...one in Waterlooville ( very close to Portsmouth ) is definitely wrong ....and one in "Blandford North Dorset" is wildly wrong........
So who knows...........?
Frank, just don't enter your City/Country in Radarbox Preferences then. Only the location of your ISP will be shown then, NOT your home location.
Dave, Airnav have always said that a users lat/long location will be kept private. So they can't use the Lat/Long from RB.
thanks, but my isp is in my home town. any suggestions? i have set my location and city to another nearby country but it still shows my real location.
frank
Cosmoc is in or near Sydney.
Rod