AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: ukv1290 on June 02, 2009, 06:10:23 PM

Title: What antenna?
Post by: ukv1290 on June 02, 2009, 06:10:23 PM
Hey All!

I have now had the Radar Box for a few days and I think I need to get an extenal antenna which should help me pick up more aircraft!  Can anybody recomend any?  I want to mount it to the roof and then connect the cable to my Radar Box located in my room (2nd floor) so the cable will need to run from the roof through the loft and then into my radar box?

Also I want one for my scanner  - If anyone can recomend an external one for a scanner (thanks )

Regards

Tom

:)
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: nortonbeak on June 02, 2009, 06:18:34 PM
There are quite a number of companies selling aerials suitable for use with RadarBox including AirNav themselves.

However, one company that I have used for both items that you are seeking is

http://www.ssejim.co.uk/22-antennas.htm (http://www.ssejim.co.uk/22-antennas.htm)
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: daveg4otu on June 02, 2009, 06:23:18 PM
For the Radar box I am using the MD-1105 .The Kit comprises the antenna (which is Magmounted) 10 metres of coax and a BNC/SMA  adaptor.)

Screenshot shows my coverage - height is about 400ft amsl  with  higher ground to the west.

For your scanner - presuming you are mostly interested in Airband VHF ...I use WBA20  vertical from W & S for 108-136Mhz...this is a  GP vertical ...and it seems to work fairly well on the Mil UHF  bands.

Otherwise if you want to cover a wide range of bands - then some kind of Discone - but remember that it will be a compromise at best.
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: ukv1290 on June 02, 2009, 06:38:08 PM
Anyone know much about the two antennas at the bottom of this page?
http://www.bhinstrumentation.co.uk/html/_airnav_radarbox.html
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on June 02, 2009, 09:47:40 PM
Hi Tom I have two DPD Productions aerials one for the Radarbox and one for the VHF UHF Airband. These came from America with little bother they are excellent quality and I know others have gone down this route well for the radarbox anyhow. I hope this helps. i have a ttached my polar diagram for information.

John
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: CoastGuardJon on June 02, 2009, 09:54:21 PM
Hi Tom, worth looking at Diamond D-777 for scanner rather than discone IMO.

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/d777-diamond-120300mhz-airband-fixed-station-vertical-p-4093.html?osCsid=67d13d0e718d5c8c896b3d786459075a

very well made and high quality, and as mentioned by you above Watson Radar Extender, both appear to be from same maunfacturer but different badge engineering, like Austin, Morris, Riley, Wolseley etc............!

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/radarextender-external-antenna-radarbox-p-5965.html?osCsid=67d13d0e718d5c8c896b3d786459075a
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: colinhall on June 03, 2009, 07:50:25 AM
Morning Coastguardjon,  Im not allowed by our landlord to put any aerials on the outside of our house. So do you suggest one that I can put up very discreetly and is not very noticeable  please. Colin Hall. Nr Dover.
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: nortonbeak on June 03, 2009, 08:10:11 AM
Quote from: colinhall on June 03, 2009, 07:50:25 AM
Im not allowed by our landlord to put any aerials on the outside of our house. So do you suggest one that I can put up very discreetly and is not very noticeable  please. Colin Hall. Nr Dover.

This is a possibility for a "discreet" installation as it can be easily removed from its location. I have no idea of how it performs, however.

http://www.airbandonline.co.uk/kapl_sbs1_aerial_co.htm (http://www.airbandonline.co.uk/kapl_sbs1_aerial_co.htm)
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: malc41 on June 03, 2009, 09:58:13 AM
or what about the telescopic masts with tripod that can be put up used and then take down again.

Apologies but someone posted the info a few days ago
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: WAL 2T on June 03, 2009, 03:58:04 PM
Be careful with the telescopic masts as the top sections are often very thin (as little as 1" dia) which means that typical v-bolts supplied with many external atennae for pole mounting would run out of thread. You can of course get around this by replacing the bots with longer threaded ones.
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: John Racars on June 03, 2009, 04:05:06 PM
Quote from: ukv1290 on June 02, 2009, 06:10:23 PMCan anybody recomend any?

Hi Tom,

I can recomend you the configuration mentioned in my signature below. I am using this for one year now and I am verry statisfied about it.
Title: Re: What antenna?
Post by: CoastGuardJon on June 03, 2009, 05:29:20 PM
Quote from: colinhall on June 03, 2009, 07:50:25 AMIm not allowed by our landlord to put any aerials on the outside of our house. So do you suggest one that I can put up very discreetly and is not very noticeable  please.

Hi Colin, is he totally rigid on this - have you got an external UHF TV and/or satellite dish (my daughter was in a very similar position, I suggested she talk to her landlord and given that she accepted responsibilty for any damage or repairs as a result of these aerials, he agreed), are you after an antenna for just RB/SBS or for wide band scanner as well?    If it is totally out of the question, email a pic of your house, there are various possible solutions and suggestions.