I have a fairly new RB 2009 purchased from ScannerMaster in the USA. I installed it first on a Dell desktop using the included USB cable and all seems to work well.
I wanted to use it on a different box so I installed the software on an HP desktop (WinXP-Pro, and all seems to be working well until the RB application quits for some reason after an hour or 2. I leave the computer on 24/7 and just shut off the monitor when I go to sleep. I have all the power saver and screen savers turned off, and there is nothing listed in the Event Viewer. There is no error message, the application just politely stops and goes away.
ON a third computer (MacBookPro, WinXP-Pro) I installed the software so I can bring it with me on the road. I connect the RB to the USB port with the same USB cable and it works fine for a few minutes but after 5 minutes or so it stops processing hardware flights. The Hardware button stays green and I still receive Network flights, the RB's USB light is green, the blue and white lights are off.
My questions are:
1) On the HP Desktop, any idea why the application will just go away without notice or error message?
2) On the MacBook Pro, any idea why the RB will just seem to stop communicating with the computer?
3) Am I correct in presuming that we are allowed to install the software on multiple computers since the RB itself acts as a sort of hardware key?
Just a guess - but I would be inclined to think that maybe on one (or both) the issue could be power(lack of)....are the PSUs operating on the edge maybe and the added load of the RB (which draws all it's power via the USB) is enough to make them unstable.
Try installing Motherboard monitor(Google - it is free)...thgis will give a readout (and a text log) of Voltages, Temperatures, fan speeds...all voltages(12/5/3.3V) should remain within =/-5% of the nominal at all times.
As I said - just a guess - could be other things also - but the PSU would be one of my first stops.
Well, I tried Motherboard monitor on the MacBook Pro but it refuses to work on this hardware apparently. I can get it to install but it just hangs when you try to run it. I try to uninstall and reinstall it and then I get an access violation.
Someone else suggested to try a powered USB hub so that it can draw more power from that but at least so far on the MacBook Pro the same results are apparent. The white light stops flashing after 5 minutes or so and a minute or two later the blue light goes out and I am left with a power light only.
I am going to try the powered hub idea on the Windows box and see if it helps there.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Here is my update:
On both of my Windows XP-P computers (Dell, Compaq) the program seems to run fine for a while but eventually becomes more and more unresponsive. I run Task Manager and see that the ANRB.exe is typically running at 96 to 99%. When I try to perform some task like resort plane types or change a map parameter it takes a minute or two for the action to complete. The ARNB stops receiving eventually and the pointer turns into an hourglass. Exiting the program and restarting the application returns it to normal for an hour or so before it digresses to non-responsiveness.
Computer 1 is a Dell GX270 with a 3 GHz. P-4 and 3GB of RAM, computer 2 is a Compaq D510 with a 2.4 GHz. P4 and 2 GB of RAM.
I tried to use Motherboard Monitor on both machines but could not get it to work, it just errors out during the set up.
I have about given up on using the RadarBox on these aging computers and am replacing these with a different desktop. I have a couple options I am considering:
One is an Apple Mac Mini, with a 2 GHz. Intel chip and 2 GB of RAM, using BootCamp or Fusion with Windows XP or Vista. The second option is a current Wintel machine such as a PowerSpec B647 using an Intel Core 2 Quad processor and either WinXP or Vista. The cost is about the same.
The question I now have are:
1) How well would the Radar Box and the current software run in Vista versus WinXP-P, will it work better on one or the other?
2) Since i am a Mac guy at heart, how well has other users done using a Mac Mini or other Mac with BootCamp or Fusion? (I could't get it to work with my MacBook Pro, see prior posts.)
3) Is there some setting or attribute to set to reduce the processor load and keep the application running smoothly?
Thanks!
I have been using RB on my Macbook pro for over a year with no problems at all using bootcamp and win XP Pro, I often take the laptop out and about with RB and it all works perfectly.
Perhaps the usb cable is faulty, are you using any other adaptors, connectors ets as these have been known to cause issues.
Regards
Stephen
N9JIG,
How many messages do you get at busy times? Also how fast is your net connection?
I tried using a couple different cables, both the included cable and others had the same issue, and each worked fine on the Windows machine (for a while anyway...) I also tried a powered USB hub, no joy with that. I wonder if the USB drivers in Fusion are to blame, I might try installing BootCamp on my MacBook Pro before investing in another computer, and if that works I think the MacMini may be the permanent solution and the MacBook Pro the mobile solution. (Whatever computer I end up getting will likely be dedicated to the RB, it is worth the investment!)
Quote from: Spaice on June 18, 2009, 10:59:39 AM
I have been using RB on my Macbook pro for over a year with no problems at all using bootcamp and win XP Pro, I often take the laptop out and about with RB and it all works perfectly.
Perhaps the usb cable is faulty, are you using any other adaptors, connectors ets as these have been known to cause issues.
Regards
Stephen
In the Chicagoland area, roughly 25 miles north of ORD I usually see between 20 and 40 flights during daylight, and about a dozen at night. Right now, at about 1925 Hrs local time I have 28 flights. I get between 250 and 1200 Network flights, right now there are 426, but I guess that isn't dependent on my installation.
I have a cable modem here (ComCast) that has for the most part worked well but I have noticed recently that it chokes when I try to open multiple connections, (like several news pages), something that hasn't happened before. I don't think the RB is causing this, since it occurs even when the RB is not connected. (I might have to get a new cable modem anyway, as the one I have is not DOCSIS 3.0 compliant)
Quote from: AirNav Support on June 18, 2009, 11:43:56 AM
N9JIG,
How many messages do you get at busy times? Also how fast is your net connection?
Have you run any other applications on their own and if so do they shut down after the same period?
Dell computers tend not to have temp sensors or cpu temp they build their own motherboards and leave them off (temp fan speed cpu temp sensors)
I have a dell xps 420 a inspiron 1520 1525 and 1545 laptops. (coming next week) The inspiron 1520 has a dual core running at 1.46ghz with 2 g ram the xps420 has a quadcore processor (2.4ghz) and the Inspiron 1525 is being replaced due to overheating problems with a inspiron1545 all run Dell MS Vista ultimate x86.
Are you running a real copy of vista? some beta editions of microsoft software including windows7 shut down every 2 hours now and some software every hour
I take it screen saver is off but what about Microsoft updates?
puddy
I am actually running Win XP-Pro SP3. I have Automatic Updates set to download but not install updates, and I have Auto Restart turned off on my Antivirus (AVG Free)
I am considering Vista for whatever new computer I end up with, but I may use XP if RB works better in that.
Quote from: puddy on June 19, 2009, 05:57:51 AM
Have you run any other applications on their own and if so do they shut down after the same period?
Dell computers tend not to have temp sensors or cpu temp they build their own motherboards and leave them off (temp fan speed cpu temp sensors)
I have a dell xps 420 a inspiron 1520 1525 and 1545 laptops. (coming next week) The inspiron 1520 has a dual core running at 1.46ghz with 2 g ram the xps420 has a quadcore processor (2.4ghz) and the Inspiron 1525 is being replaced due to overheating problems with a inspiron1545 all run Dell MS Vista ultimate x86.
Are you running a real copy of vista? some beta editions of microsoft software including windows7 shut down every 2 hours now and some software every hour
I take it screen saver is off but what about Microsoft updates?
puddy
Quite a few people are running vista with no problems. I use ultimate and it seems to absolutely fine with beta v3.0
I am kind of leaning the Vista way at this point, on a new Wintel box.
Do I presume correctly that 3.x will be a free upgrade to those of us that have prior versions? (I have 2.01 not on my RB2009.)
Quote from: malc41 on June 19, 2009, 02:46:03 PM
Quite a few people are running vista with no problems. I use ultimate and it seems to absolutely fine with beta v3.0
Yes v3.0 is a free upgrade either as a full install or update from v2 to v3
Quote from: N9JIG on June 19, 2009, 08:28:49 PM
I am kind of leaning the Vista way at this point, on a new Wintel box.
Do I presume correctly that 3.x will be a free upgrade to those of us that have prior versions? (I have 2.01 not on my RB2009.)
Quote from: malc41 on June 19, 2009, 02:46:03 PM
Quite a few people are running vista with no problems. I use ultimate and it seems to absolutely fine with beta v3.0
It IS a free upgrade, download it now from the forum link here:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2893.0
Remember V3 is a beta not yet a final release.
Quote from: EMA on June 20, 2009, 10:40:57 AM
Remember V3 is a beta not yet a final release.
But it's pretty close to the final V3.0 and it has already been extensively tested. It also installs into a separate directory to any older version, so there is no problem installing and using it :-)
Quote from: Allocator on June 20, 2009, 12:33:12 PM
Quote from: EMA on June 20, 2009, 10:40:57 AM
Remember V3 is a beta not yet a final release.
But it's pretty close to the final V3.0 and it has already been extensively tested. It also installs into a separate directory to any older version, so there is no problem installing and using it :-)
I do not disagree Allocator but there are still some issues with this beta and if someone is having problems then best stick with the current released version.
EMA: depends on the problems! If they are minor (which they are) then V3.0 has much more performance, is faster and decodes more traffic.
Quote from: AirNav Development on June 20, 2009, 02:39:06 PM
EMA: depends on the problems! If they are minor (which they are) then V3.0 has much more performance, is faster and decodes more traffic.
Just trying to help, nothing more..............
I like the idea that v3.0b installs to a separate directory, I will try that tonight.
I have turned off the Network feature and the application seems to be running pretty well for the last 36 hours. I am also getting a new cable modem tomorrow, DOCSIS 3.0 with (supposedly) up to 50 Mbps, and perhaps the new computer next week. I will try the Network feature again after that and see if things improve.
Thanks for all the help with this fascinating toy!
Quote from: AirNav Development on June 20, 2009, 02:39:06 PM
EMA: depends on the problems! If they are minor (which they are) then V3.0 has much more performance, is faster and decodes more traffic.