AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: puddy on June 10, 2009, 06:47:35 AM

Title: Military airspace?
Post by: puddy on June 10, 2009, 06:47:35 AM

I don't get any aircraft flying near me  Lat 52.9055    Long-0.0886  I can pick up aircraft going to the top part of the wash, could this dead airspace be closed military airspace? I do know we have a RAF  firing range near me and MOD control Eastern Radar near to my home.

  I am within 5 min flying time for RAF Coningsby USAF Mildenhall  RAF Waddington RAF Marham  RAF Cranwell and USAF Lakenheath.  I do pick up a lot of RAF jets and USAF on my RD box and hear them!!!

Michael
Title: Re: Military airspace?
Post by: viking9 on June 10, 2009, 07:53:52 AM
Hi Michael,

Yes indeed, you are close to Wainfleet and Holbeach Air Weapons ranges as well as the East Anglian Military Training area and a multiude of military air bases so you won't get much civil OTT where you are.

Tom
Title: Re: Military airspace?
Post by: AllanK on June 11, 2009, 10:14:35 PM
Quote from: puddy on June 10, 2009, 06:47:35 AM

I don't get any aircraft flying near me  Lat 52.9055    Long-0.0886  I can pick up aircraft going to the top part of the wash, could this dead airspace be closed military airspace? I do know we have a RAF  firing range near me and MOD control Eastern Radar near to my home.

  I am within 5 min flying time for RAF Coningsby USAF Mildenhall  RAF Waddington RAF Marham  RAF Cranwell and USAF Lakenheath.  I do pick up a lot of RAF jets and USAF on my RD box and hear them!!!

Michael

Puddy,
I am in sleaford and notice a similar dead airspace.  I pick up luton, EMA and stanstead reasonably well but little over lincolnshire at low level (<FL100!).  I do get the E/W airway over lincoln (nice to see the contrails out of the window as RB plots the aircraft).  I find a scanner is useful to fill in the gaps (ie local military activity).

--
Allan
Title: Re: Military airspace?
Post by: malc41 on June 12, 2009, 09:08:22 AM
i'm a little bit further north, and we get stuff for EGNJ and also EGCN other than that its all high level stuff.

It is quite a low level of activity area around here