AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: catman on June 10, 2009, 05:09:29 PM

Title: Splitting Antenna
Post by: catman on June 10, 2009, 05:09:29 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has tried this, I want to split the cable from my antenna and have both my radarbox and my scanner (AOR AR2002) connected to it at the same time, was wondering what sort of signal loss I could expect? I normally see about 300~ Aircraft now using a Watson antenna

Has anyone tried this?

And if anyone is interested: Stansted are changing their runway numbers in july from 05 to 04 and 23 to 22!

Many thanks,
Title: Re: Splitting Antenna
Post by: dudbaker on June 10, 2009, 06:08:25 PM
Hi

Do not do it.  RB antenna is cut for 1090 MHz and presumably you want to listen to 130 MHz. 

Interesting about runway change though.

Dudley
Bishop's Stortford
Title: Re: Splitting Antenna
Post by: malc41 on June 10, 2009, 09:02:55 PM
Most Uk airports seem to be doing it
EGCC from24 to 23
EHNJ 21 to 20

Must be to do with mag var?
Title: Re: Splitting Antenna
Post by: CoastGuardJon on June 10, 2009, 09:30:11 PM
Quote from: malc41 on June 10, 2009, 09:02:55 PMMust be to do with mag var?

Hi Malc, that was my first reaction and I think the most likely reason.   Magnetic variation is minimal, and these alterations would indicate a couple of degrees which is a about 20 years worth at approx. 12' variation east annually (OS), so that could be the case if designations were declared 40 years ago or so - the variation is nothing new, so if EGCC had been 23(6)º, it would 've been forecastable that 10 years down the road it would be 234º - I hope you catch my drift!
Title: Re: Splitting Antenna
Post by: DaveReid on June 10, 2009, 09:47:36 PM
Runway designations are indeed derived from the magnetic heading in degrees, divided by 10 and rounded to the nearest whole number.

So in fact a change from 235.001° to 234.999° over the space of a few months would be enough to trigger a change in runway designation.

HTH
Dave