I have just purchased RadarBox. It says New 2009! on the box.
However, when I plug in the hardware, my computer simple does not recognise it. I have read the help section with the software, but I don't get any of the messages that it says there.
Please help!
First step is to check in Windows Device Manager under the USB section. Do you see Airnav Radarbox listed there? Or an unknown device listed?
Then the FAQ at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=786.0
Quote from: Matt Howard on June 21, 2009, 02:02:10 PM
I have just purchased RadarBox. It says New 2009! on the box.
However, when I plug in the hardware, my computer simple does not recognise it. I have read the help section with the software, but I don't get any of the messages that it says there.
Please help!
Almost certainly it means that you haven't got the correct driver installed. See this help video:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Drivers.wmv
Thanks for that, but I haven't even got to this stage of proceedings yet!
When I click on my USB controllers, it doesn't say RadarBox, just 'Unknown USB Device'
Any ideas?
Thanks
Follow the instructions in the FAQ I linked to. That will install the correct drivers. Double click on the "Unknown Device", and update the drivers.
I followed the tutorial all the way down to selecting ftdibus.inf. When I click OK, I get the following message:
"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"
Any ideas?
Thanks. Matt
Quote from: Matt Howard on June 21, 2009, 09:36:49 PM
I followed the tutorial all the way down to selecting ftdibus.inf. When I click OK, I get the following message:
"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"
Any ideas?
Try deleting the Unknown device entry and then plug the RB back in, when it asks for the driver location supply the ftdibus.inf file you've used already.
Before you do that, check that the .inf file contains what you would expect it to, namely USB vendor and device IDs and appropriate names etc.
I would suggest using another USB port or a powered USB hub. The message "unkown USB device" might indicate that the USB port you plugged the Radarbox into, does not supply sufficient power (try disconnecting other USB devices if no other USB port is available).
Tried other USB ports. Tried uninstalling and plugging in again, then updating driver with ftdibus.inf file myself. Still getting the same message as before: "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."
Surely it shouldn't be this complicated to set up?!
Thanks in anticipation,
Matt
Matt, It's really east to set up unless you let Windows "do its own thing" and install drivers automatically :-0
After that, it's a bit of a pig to convince Windows that you want to use another driver!
I'll just read back over what you've been trying to do and see it I can offer any advice!
Matt,
Try this, and tell us at what stage you run into problems:
- With RadarBox plugged in via the USB cable, open up the device manager and look at your devices, including the "Unknown Device"
- Unplug the RB USB cable, does the Unknown Device disappear, or does another USB device in the list disappear - we need to make sure that you are actually trying to install the driver to RB, not some other random device.
Right, can you get this far?
Quote from: Allocator on June 22, 2009, 09:17:43 PM
Matt, It's really east to set up unless you let Windows "do its own thing" and install drivers automatically :-0
After that, it's a bit of a pig to convince Windows that you want to use another driver!
I'll just read back over what you've been trying to do and see it I can offer any advice!
im having same prob. now 12 hours have gone by and all i get is cant start device.
Quote from: savagegrave on June 22, 2009, 09:29:10 PM
Quote from: Allocator on June 22, 2009, 09:17:43 PM
Matt, It's really east to set up unless you let Windows "do its own thing" and install drivers automatically :-0
After that, it's a bit of a pig to convince Windows that you want to use another driver!
I'll just read back over what you've been trying to do and see it I can offer any advice!
im having same prob. now 12 hours have gone by and all i get is cant start device.
OK, so have you tried the above?
savagegrave, isn't yours a Vista 64-bit problem.
Matt Howard, are you also running Vista 64-bit?
Quote from: tarbat on June 22, 2009, 09:33:40 PM
savagegrave, isn't yours a Vista 64-bit problem.
Matt Howard, are you also running Vista 64-bit?
i have 2 comps, one with vista 32 and 64. so far cant get the driver to work on either, have read all the links etc and my screens look like all the screen shots.
tried straight usb conection but no avail, really need the ethernet conenction as pc its going on (vista 32) is in a basement, so need the ethernet to run to rb.
im out of options otherthan totally wiping everything and going back to xp, however 50% of essential software i run is vista. :s somewhat disheartend by this product.... (sorry guys, but after 12 hours of searching internet for a solution im out of ideas)
ps works fine on friends xp laptop!
savagegrave, the standard driver will work perfectly well on Vista 32-bit - no need to revert to XP. On Vista 64-bit, you'll need to refer to the FAQ section on how to allow unsigned drivers.
Matt Howard, what operating system are you running?
Quote from: tarbat on June 22, 2009, 09:42:17 PM
savagegrave, the standard driver will work perfectly well on Vista 32-bit - no need to revert to XP. On Vista 64-bit, you'll need to refer to the FAQ section on how to allow unsigned drivers.
Matt Howard, what operating system are you running?
from what ive seen the above that you have put is correct, however all i seem to get is :.
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
would an upgrade to v3 help fix this? the software i got is 2.01
OK, I know nothing at all about Vista, so I'm not best placed to advise here, but I've just unistalled and reinstalled my drivers in XP just to check how it works.
If anybody knows better here, do correct me.
The Driver installation needs 3 files:
ftdibus.inf (in \Drivers)
ftdibus.sys (in \Drivers\i386
ftd2xx.dll (in \Drivers)
When RB is installed from CD, these are copied across into the Drivers directory as shown in the picture below. Note that if you are using a different version of RB, then the name of the directory will reflect the version you have installed.
So, to install the correct drivers, if you have the wrong ones installed, fire up the Device Manager and right click on AirNav RadarBox, or Unknown USB Device and select Properties.
Select Driver > Update Driver and select "No not at this time" then Next
Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click Next
Browse to the \Drivers directory as per the diagram below.
Click Next
Accept the warning about unsigned drivers and click Next
The install will probably stop looking for the ftdibus.sys file, so browse to the \Data\i386 directory and click Next
If the install should then continue. If the install stops again, take a note of the file that the driver update is looking for.
This is for XP, so don't know if this works the same for Vista.
thanks for your help, however im still getting that good old error code 10, device cannot start.
ohwell, may have to leave this airnav alone, re-coup my losses and go with sbs instead (which does look like a better system)
Quote from: savagegrave on June 23, 2009, 05:21:12 AM
thanks for your help, however im still getting that good old error code 10, device cannot start.
ohwell, may have to leave this airnav alone, re-coup my losses and go with sbs instead (which does look like a better system)
No, as an SBS-1 and RB owner, there is no doubt at all that RB is the better product, but you do what you feel is best.
savagegrave
I have owned a SBS and I am now running the RB - As Allocator say's
the RB is the better product - without doubt
Andy
Are you installaing the drivers loged in as administrator or with administrator privilages? if not it may be worth a try.
Quote from: Matt Howard on June 21, 2009, 02:02:10 PM
I have just purchased RadarBox. It says New 2009! on the box.
However, when I plug in the hardware, my computer simple does not recognise it. I have read the help section with the software, but I don't get any of the messages that it says there.
Please help!
Hi Matt,
what's the status? Is it up and running now?
Still no joy, folks! I'm running XP. Now I don't even get a message about not recognising the unknown USB device; nothing...nada.
ftdibus.inf is in \Drivers
ftdibus.sys is in \Drivers\i386
ftd2xx.dll is in \Drivers/i386.
Any further thoughts?
Thank you for continuing to help me and being so patient.
Matt Howard
Quote from: Matt Howard on June 28, 2009, 07:25:24 PM
Still no joy, folks! I'm running XP. Now I don't even get a message about not recognising the unknown USB device; nothing...nada.
ftdibus.inf is in \Drivers
ftdibus.sys is in \Drivers\i386
ftd2xx.dll is in \Drivers/i386.
Any further thoughts?
A search through the registry for the ftd*.sys and .dll might help, assuming you have no other ftdi drivers. Find and delete keys that contain these strings, it's riskier than doing it via the hardware tab under My Computer but in some ways more certain.
Be careful with regedit though.
Quote from: Matt Howard on June 28, 2009, 07:25:24 PMStill no joy, folks! I'm running XP. Now I don't even get a message about not recognising the unknown USB device; nothing...nada.
Did you try what Allocator suggested at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2918.msg26473#msg26473
It might help diagnose the problem.
Fenris: I'm not sure I have enough know-how to even begin what you suggest without someone holding my hand with a step-by-step walk through.
Have tried unplugging the USB cable with Device Manager running - nothing changes; no noise, no message - nothing.
It's odd that my computer at least recognised that I'd plugged in a USB device (even though it didn't recognise it) a week ago, yet now I don't get any message at all.
Now, on the box, it says "New for 2009", yet on the back of the software CD-ROM, the Copyright date is 2007; is this in any way significant?
Not significant. What matters is that the software has the latest stable version. We have released 10 days ago a new software (V3.0) but it is still in beta.
Matt, when you plug the RB into the computer with the USB cable, what lights do you get on the Radarbox?
Woo hoo! Progress! My computer now recognises the USB device as AirNav Radarboc. However, at the end of installation, I now get the message:
"This device cannot start (Code 10). Any ideas>
Try the FAQ instructions in the following post - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=786.0
Yep, did that, all was fine, it said "Hardware installed and ready to use", but seconds later I was back to "Unknown USB device" and the software says "Hardware not connected." AARRGGHH!
Maybe a hardware problem. What lights are on or flashing on the Radarbox?
We are ON!!! All lights on/flashing now! I think the actual box has a dodgy USB connection at the back. Do I need to send it back, or is this easy to fix?
Thank you so much for all of your help; you have been fantastic!
Might be worth contacting Airnav Support by email about the possible dodgy USB connection -
[email protected].
Glad you're up and running!!
Quote from: Matt Howard on June 28, 2009, 09:26:49 PM
We are ON!!! All lights on/flashing now! I think the actual box has a dodgy USB connection at the back. Do I need to send it back, or is this easy to fix?
Thank you so much for all of your help; you have been fantastic!
If you have a spare cable, try swapping it over. Some connector pairings are on the limits of mechanical tolerance and the electrical contacts can then be intermittent.
Glad you got it working in the end though.
Bought a new cable for 70p and all works perfectly now!
The simplest things, eh?
Thank you all once again for all your help.
Matt Howard