just got my RB, will it hurt the antenna if ill leave it "outside"? (basiclly its just on my window) or wil it destroy her by the elements?
its mostly sunny and hot here and no thunderstores expected for the next few months..
I really dont want to ruin it...
The supplied antenna is not really weatherproof although some users have reported no issues with using it outside.
Hi Jordan, my standard antenna has been outside in not the worst weather we can experience, for about 2 months. The metal twig has seriously deteriorated and got quite rusty in that short time, and performance has dropped off really noticeable, range dropped from 200nm to 30/35nm. Our location's climate is the worst possible, damp amd salty sea air. If you're intending to leave it out, rub a good film of electricians' silicone grease over the twig and base, and work as much as possible into the threaded part before assembling, this will give it a good fighting chance. I've dispensed with the CD metal ground plane, as it is too insubstantial for our winds, I use an old Peugeot 405 brake disc, which is excellent for the purpose.
Quote from: CoastGuardJon on June 28, 2009, 03:18:09 PM
I've dispensed with the CD metal ground plane, as it is too insubstantial for our winds, I use an old Peugeot 405 brake disc, which is excellent for the purpose.
I bet the supplied antenna has superb braking performace! :-)
ah so if i cover it with protective nylon there shouldnt be a problem?
i dont think that the nylon would interfere with the reception...and its not that it will be out all the time, during the the time i will use and when im done it will be back in...
Beware using Nylon because it creates static which can cause a spike.
not good..
ill try and working something out with plastic
I purchased a MyDel 1105 antenna and that was okay outside.
by photos it does look protected
I also have a wideband antenna that is external and installed outside for 3 years now
Unfortuneatly the wideband antenna will not work well with a Radarbox
yea just tried and its not working great..
one last question, where do i change my location that i inserted when i first logged in?
Quote from: Jordan on June 28, 2009, 05:15:46 PM
yea just tried and its not working great..
one last question, where do i change my location that i inserted when i first logged in?
In the preferences
File/Preferences/Home Station Data
Thank you very much for all of your help :)