AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: ig on July 08, 2009, 11:37:47 PM

Title: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: ig on July 08, 2009, 11:37:47 PM
This may of been asked before but here goes.
I take my RB abroad quite a lot. I know that new aircraft are updated from the GAS site but what happens if I'm not connected to the internet?
Its a bit frustrating just seeing a load of hex codes on the screen. Surely all airliners & biz should be witheld in a database whether I've picked them up from home or not?
Ian
Title: Re: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: RodBearden on July 09, 2009, 12:27:37 AM
Hi Ian

The database that comes with RB is pretty good, but the basic data will always be out of date. Aircraft are being built, bought, sold, leased, re-registered and scrapped all the time. It's a heck of a job to keep up with it all. It's also true that Europe and North America are better updated than the rest of the world as enthusiasts are on the lookout, and can observe and share their information more freely than in other places.

There is no such thing as a definitive database of all the world's aircraft - it is changing by the minute.

AirNav are looking at ways of improving the updating of the database, but it will always depend on Internet access. Without that, you would have to update the database manually - an impossible task!

There may be RB users who keep their NavData database well up to date who would be happy to share their database with others, and you could download that whenever you do get online. I'm not a particularly enthusiastic database updater, but there are others who are!

I know that's not a solution, but I hope it's a reasonable explanation!

Rod
Title: Re: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: ig on July 10, 2009, 07:26:00 PM
Hi Rod,
I understand that things are changing by the minute but on a recent visit to Munich, it didn't even know "older" Turkish Boeing 737's flying over the top. This is because I haven't picked them up from home whilst connected to the internet.
It's a little frustrating to see just Hex codes flying in the sky!!
Ian
Title: Re: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: RodBearden on July 10, 2009, 07:40:07 PM
I bet it is, Ian. All I can add is that when you get back to an internet connection you can find out what you saw by using the Populate command in MyLog!

Rod
Title: Re: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: ig on July 10, 2009, 07:44:12 PM
I know people that are using SBS-1 and they dont seem to have these problems. They're info, wherever it comes from, always seem's up to date.
Thanks anyway
Ian
Title: Re: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: tarbat on July 10, 2009, 09:12:43 PM
If you're desparate for a "complete" database, you could have a go at importing the Aerosoft database.  See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1088
Title: Re: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: DaveReid on July 13, 2009, 08:24:13 AM
Or even Aerodata  :-)
Title: Re: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: ig on July 13, 2009, 03:34:43 PM
Thanks Guys
Title: Re: UPDATING HEX CODES
Post by: ACW367 on July 13, 2009, 06:27:04 PM
Ian

I suggest that you regularly save the the text document at the bottom of this weblink to your local my documents file on your computer.  Then you are also covered if your internet connection drops out at home, as well as when you go mobile.
http://www.aerodata.org/BaseStationfile