With some of the new features being developed for v3.0, I'm finding my lack of screen real-estate is becoming a problem, even with the low number of aircraft I get in my area.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3421/3706439011_e2c7836486_t.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/3706439011/sizes/o/)
So, what's a good size monitor to go for? I'm currently using a 1280x1024, so what's the best price/size combination. Don't really want to go the dual-monitor route, as I've not got the space on my desk.
Tarbat - I've got a 22" LG screen with max resolution of 1680x1050, which is how I have it set. About £120 from Tesco - I love it!
(http://www.rbearden.toucansurf.com/full.jpg)
Rod
I'm currently using 1680x1050 on a 22" HP TFT (HP w2207h) and feel fine with it. Trying to picture the same content you have, it seems I can get a 50/50 ratio compared to your 40/60 ratio of Map/Grid display. Even so, my next TFT will definitly be a 24" with 1920x1200 - only a minor increase in physical size but a lot more space pixel wise.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3707344872_838f8b5118_t.jpg) (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3707344872_838f8b5118_b.jpg)
Hi there,
Have to agree with you Vruma and Rod,i use a 22"Belinea 1680+1050 from Staples(special offer around here) £109.99,plenty of room on it.
Hey sorry to go off topic a min,but im a newbie,and i would like to know how you get that realistic looking map showing terrain?
Thanks Gary
I guess what I need is something with significantly more than 1024 vertical resolution. Each line in the aircraft list takes 18 pixels, so I'm looking for something with >1200 vertical resolution - does such a monitor exist at reasonable prices?
1024 (or 1050) just isn't enough vertical resolution.
Quote from: lovemuscle on July 10, 2009, 02:52:59 PMHey sorry to go off topic a min,but im a newbie,and i would like to know how you get that realistic looking map showing terrain?
3.0 beta patch 1, which is on closed beta test at the moment, so something to look forward to!!!
You can get a similar monochrome map using the Satellite Layer on the Map menu.
Hi Gary,
that's rather easy: go to MENU > SATELLITE LAYER > DOWNLOAD then click SAVE and wait a short moment for the satellite pic to get downloaded.
Note that the satellite view gets downloaded for the current map view only. You may have to download a new satpic when changing (paning/zooming) the map view.
Tarbat,
the only TFT I would consider to be of reasonable quality offering real WUXGA resolution - 1920x1200 - starts at around £210 (Samsung SM2433BW at Amazon UK). You might find better deals or have different demands in regard to glare/non glare display, features, handling, etc.
vruma, thanks. I guess 1920 x 1200 will let me get an extra 10 aircraft in the list. I was hoping for more, and I don't really need widescreen. Something like 1750 x 1400 is what I'm looking for really. That would give me an extra 20 aircraft in the list.
Maybe a 1600x1200 (UEGA) turned vertical would work !!!
I use dual Samsung 22" Synchmasters, both running at 1680 x 1050.
DC
Using the pivot function of my HP TFT I tried to see how many lines I would get: its 62. Don't know if this will be any good for you.
However, besides the uncomfortable 30/70 ratio of the display I was unable to download a satellite layer for the map view. Might be due to the unusal resolution.
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2466/3706746977_481b93f8ab_t.jpg) (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2466/3706746977_481b93f8ab_b.jpg)
I use two 24" Samsung 1920x1200 screens, highly recommended. They are dual input and fed by three separate PC's so I can mix and match what I am doing.
tarbat
This don't help, because you only want one, but I use 2 x Samsung 22" Syncmaster 2232BW.
£235.00 from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SM2232BW-Glossy-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B000SOGB3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247255078&sr=1-1
Loved them 2 Great Monitors
Andy
Thanks for all the suggestions. Its given me several options to consider.
Hi tarbat, i have two monitors running laptop monitor and a 17" desktop monitor. Monitors go pretty cheap on ebay if your lucky you could grapb one for £10-20.
Where did you download your airways from? (http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/Kinetic/Utilities/Kinetic_Utilities2_Outlines.htm)?
Quote from: atcukmatty on July 10, 2009, 10:00:18 PMWhere did you download your airways from? (http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/Kinetic/Utilities/Kinetic_Utilities2_Outlines.htm)?
The airways are just the standard ones in Radarbox. Other things such as coastline, danger areas, etc. are from the Bones site.
ok, is it possible to turn those on and off? or do you just have to delete them from the outlines folder
If you mean individually, yes - the only way is to remove them from the outlines folder. You can of course turn them all off and on using the Map...Outlines menu command.
Rod
Morning Rod. Very good to see your July 10. How do you get the two maps (ie airport and map) on to one screen like you have please.Colin.
Hi Colin
Just open another map (Map...Open/Save and if you want, chose the default map or any other one).
Then choose Window...Tile and choose Vertical or Horizontal.
You treat each map individually, with different colours, satellite overlays, etc. Just click on the map you want to change before you change it.
I'm not sure how well this worked in V2 - I'm using the closed beta version and it works a treat!
Rod