Just wondered what the best refresh rate is to use,i wonder what all you experienced member are using?
Is there any disadvantage to using the fastest refresh rate ie 100ms.
thanks in advance Gary
Thats probally "overkill". ADS-B messages are sent twice every second.
So 500ms would be fine, though it also depends whether your computer can handle the load.
ATC radar screens typicaly update every 4 seconds I think. So I use 4000ms for a more realistic simulation of real ATC radar.
ummm interesting,i would of thought they would update faster than that,might give it a go,cost nothing.:)
I have set my RB to 1000ms for refresh, you are right that it cost nothing, but it might have an impact on the resources of your computer. I,m sure that if ATC could have a refresh rate higher than 4 seconds they would.
Quote from: Spaice on July 14, 2009, 10:51:40 AM
I'm sure that if ATC could have a refresh rate higher than 4 seconds they would.
You try spinning a massive PSR head at more than 15 rpm :-)
23cm radar - 6 sec update, 10cm radar 4 secs.
DC
That was my point really, they are limited to 4 sec refresh because of technical limitation, however if they could spin the PSR head at a faster rate ATC would be very happy :)
and would probably shake the tower/building to bits !
i study avionics at uni, i learnt all this this last year. If you have a high scanning speed and the pulse repetition frequency is low some targets may be missed becuase of the time interval between pulses. So if you want a high scanning speed it requires high PRF, and the more pulses transmitted per second means the display will be clearer and brighter (talking about PSR).
I went to air traffic control for my work experience a couple of years ago and im pretty sure it updated faster than 4 seconds.
Terminal Airport Surveillance radar updates at 4.8 seconds (12.5 rpm antenna
rotation)
Airport surveillance and SSR usually at 4 seconds (15 rpm)
PAR < 1 sec
Do the ADS-B transponders on Aircraft respond to a ground based interrogation from radar? Or do they transmit independently at a regular interval?
I leave my RadarBox set at 4000ms
Quote from: FlyOverMe on July 15, 2009, 01:26:33 AMDo the ADS-B transponders on Aircraft respond to a ground based interrogation from radar? Or do they transmit independently at a regular interval?
Both.