AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Quacker1964 on August 18, 2009, 05:51:09 PM

Title: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Quacker1964 on August 18, 2009, 05:51:09 PM
Firstly I have reported this to support, but was wondering if it might be something obvious and easily corrected?

Have added to a new PC and upgraded to ARB2009 software as Vista didn't like the original software.  Added the software first, it loaded, the username & password - all ok, but shows as hardware unconnected tso no planes onscreen and no network facility.

I'm trying to update this for my father as it is his kit & PC etc.  THe box & software work on other PC's in other rooms but not where needed.

Any held if forthcoming this evening much appreciated.

Thanks
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Allocator on August 18, 2009, 06:02:31 PM
Sounds very much like the radarBox driver isn't installed.

Follow this video tutorial and see if you can see RadarBox in the USB Drivers

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Drivers.wmv
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Quacker1964 on August 18, 2009, 06:12:45 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply Allocator - I make you right.  Now I (foolishly) assumed when I downloaded the 2009 version it would have the drivers included.  How/where can I locate and add these?

Cheers
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Allocator on August 18, 2009, 06:31:53 PM
Take a look at the RadarBox Help file Help > Contents or press the F1 key.

Look at Getting Started > Installation for instructions.

The RadarBox drivers are in the /Drivers folder as shown in this picture of the directory structure on the RadarBox Utilities website.

http://radarbox.gofreeserve.com/html/downloads.html

If at any stage, the install window says that it can't find a file, take note of which file it is then browse to where that file is - usually in /Drivers or Drivers/i386.  If you can't find the file, use Windows search to locate it.

Another way of doing this is to watch the Device Manager > USB controllers ans see which 'device' disappears and reappears as you unplug and plug in RadarBox.  You can then right click on it and go to the Drivers tab and click 'Update Driver' and go from there.

Once you can see AirNav RadarBox in the Device manager, you are in Business :-)

Remember to always use the same USB port, otherwise you will have to install the drivers for the new port too.
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Quacker1964 on August 19, 2009, 04:49:40 PM
Still can't crack this (does it matter that it is Windows Vista - I only ask as I cannot get to terms with the format - it looks alien to me).

I have nothing showing in device manager under usb controllers, but further up Airnav Radarbox shows in "other devices" - so far so good.

I have also located the driver in i386 file - again good.

How do I add the second to the former?  seems so obvious, but no way to drag & drop etc.  It has to be something obvious, but am dubious about just going in gung-ho - even though it is probably something simple.

My poor father is desperate to play with this.

Anyone please?
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: AirNav Support on August 19, 2009, 05:26:01 PM
Can you confirm your not using Vista 64bit?
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: malc41 on August 20, 2009, 11:15:31 AM
Where did your install the airnav box software to?
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Quacker1964 on August 20, 2009, 06:13:21 PM
Quote from: AirNav Support on August 19, 2009, 05:26:01 PM
Can you confirm your not using Vista 64bit?

I wouldn't know to be honest - but if that is the better, more expensive version then no!
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Quacker1964 on August 20, 2009, 06:15:08 PM
Quote from: malc41 on August 20, 2009, 11:15:31 AM
Where did your install the airnav box software to?

Program files on the hard drive - can't recall when as machine had been back and forth to shop a few times.

Might I just be better obtaining the correct disk? - I would try the original (2007) disk but it and Vista are not good bed fellows.

Apologies but not sure how to link both posts/replies together.
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: bearcat on August 20, 2009, 06:41:09 PM
Lets see if this works. Right click on the ANRB icon and select "Run as Administrator". Vista could be asking for Administrator privelidges to run the program as it is installed in Program Files.

Stewart
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: tarbat on August 20, 2009, 07:51:55 PM
Sounds like a driver problem.

Try the driver installation FAQ - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=786.0
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Quacker1964 on August 21, 2009, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: tarbat on August 20, 2009, 07:51:55 PM
Sounds like a driver problem.

Try the driver installation FAQ - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=786.0
It is definitely a driver problem - in that there is no driver. I shall remove the software completely and try and obtain a copy on disk - which will hopefully include any necessary drivers, and start again.

Does anyone know where i can obtain a copy of a Vista-compatible disk (not a download) - I've asked admin and indeed the retailer I purchased from.  If I'd known it was going to be so much trouble with Vista I'd have ensured XP was on the new PC.  THe Box works well on other (XP) computers.

Sorry for the frustration but this is "doing my head in" to quote the young ;-)
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: tarbat on August 21, 2009, 04:55:18 PM
Quote from: Quacker1964 on August 21, 2009, 04:01:44 PMIt is definitely a driver problem - in that there is no driver.

The driver should be located in:
C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2009\Drivers\

Did you follow the instructions in the driver FAQ I gave a link to?
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=786.0

You also need to establish whether your using Vista 32-bit or Vista 64-bit.   Right-click on Computer, select Properties.  Under System - System Type, it will say whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit system.  If it's 64-bit, then driver installation is more complicated.
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: bearcat on August 21, 2009, 07:15:06 PM
I think  the driver depends on which processor is installed on your pc AMD or Intel? In which case have you installed the correct driver for the installed processor?

Hope you get it going soon

Stewart

Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: sterigia on August 21, 2009, 07:37:55 PM
 r u sure that your usb port is working properly and have a functioning usb cable too? i had a disabled usb port and had to reenable it via a prog from nirsoft before i could install
frank
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Quacker1964 on August 23, 2009, 11:44:16 AM
Right guys.  Weekend away.  I have removed the software to start again to see if I can get this correct.  Just a few points.  Firstly the USB is fine - it plugs & plays with other PC's without problem.  (XP on those PC's)

I am using Vista home edition with service pack 1 - it is 32-bit.

The processor is AMD Sempron (but only 2.21Ghz)

Now what I plan to do is to start again from scratch downloading from here

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html

Two questions.  Firstly should I download the full version download link?

Secondly, will I be prompted to load the drivers there and then?

Finally, if the software is to be loaded prior to the airnav box itself, why does the instruction on the above link advise adding the hardware first?

Apologies for taking up so much time.  I will hang fire for the time being just to confirm this is what I need to be doing and will not start until I hear from someone.
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: AirNav Support on August 23, 2009, 11:54:23 AM
Install the full version then follow the guide below

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/help/installation.htm
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Quacker1964 on August 23, 2009, 12:23:10 PM
Quote from: AirNav Support on August 23, 2009, 11:54:23 AM
Install the full version then follow the guide below

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/help/installation.htm

Success! - it worked a dream - just as it had originally (on XP with original software).

Thanks for all help and bearing with me on what has been one of the most frustration "2-minute jobs" of my life!

I know even an idiot(me) can follow simple, straight-forward instructions, yet this was just not working.  I can only assume somewhere along the line was a corruption as removing and re-installing (as often is the case) worked a treat.

Still a mystery what was wrong in the first plavce, but having spent enough time on it already, I won't delve further and investigate.

Phew!
Title: Re: Hardware unconnected - please help!
Post by: Allocator on August 23, 2009, 12:46:14 PM
Well done!

Glad you are up and running :-)