AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: DougV on September 03, 2009, 08:50:09 PM

Title: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 03, 2009, 08:50:09 PM
I noticed tonight when I got home from work that the radarbox had a problem.

I checked the antenna and found the centre of the coax had become detached inside the base, so I soldered it up again and was looking forward to seeing the usual 40 or so flights tracked.

It was not to be.
I am lucky to get 4 or 5 on screen and they disappear within a few minutes.
The range has dropped from 90-100 miles to less than 20.

Looks like it will be going for a warranty repair.

I lasted a month, so I hope it lasts a bit longer next time.

Obviously the supplied antenna does not like being left outside in bad weather.
Perhaps I will try a new antenna first to see it that cures the problem (think I may be clutching at straws here).

Ho hum.

Doug :o(
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Allocator on September 03, 2009, 10:00:40 PM
Sounds like an antenna problem to me.  Well worth trying a different antenna before you send the box off.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 03, 2009, 10:42:58 PM
I do hope so.
I have enjoyed the last month using the box and have missed it tonight.

It is probably trying to tell me to do things right and spend more money!

Doug :o)
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Jeremy on September 03, 2009, 10:55:38 PM
My basic issued antenna worked well for months so can not think why the centre should become detached. Have you put a continuity meter across the coax to see if you have soldered in a short?
I can understand software problems with beta versions but mechanical failures should be very rare. Perhaps Airnav should investigate production quality as this is not the first report of failure.
My set up continues to crash after about 30 mins so I am looking forward to a new and very fast machine being deliverd next week. I hope to be on cloud nine from then onwards!!
73 de J. (QRZ.com)
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: 73TORANA! on September 03, 2009, 11:05:24 PM
G'Day Jeremy,Mine was doing the same thing It was also causing noise in my Aircraft radios here at work ,Replace your USB cable as the one supplied with the Box are rubbish they have very poor shielding causing radiation into radio etc and the data string pulses become rounded instead of square and this causes dropouts. I replaced mine and it has been fine for over 2 months now.
Geoff.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 03, 2009, 11:22:54 PM
Hi Jeremy.

Yes I double checked to make sure I didn't have a short on it.
I even made the end off again to make doubly sure.

It is only the centre conductor that holds the cable in the mount apart from a little bit of glue on the outer sheath.

I think the high winds shook it to death today.
The whole blob of solder had come off the centre post of the mount so I don't think it had been soldered on very well to start with.

Still whatever is wrong will get fixed one way or another.

73 de Doug

Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Jeremy on September 03, 2009, 11:51:46 PM
I had problems with RF getting in when Txing on the amateur bands and RFI getting out causing 5 S points of noise on 20m. I replaced the USB lead with a screened lead from Maplins and that has cured those problems as reported before. My computer is 4/5 years old and the MYFlights list just grows and grows until the software crashes. I am hoping a new machine will cope with the cpu load better!! A great box but it has caused me problems. 73 all. de j.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 04, 2009, 12:18:22 AM
Looks like it has gone completely deaf now.
It just struggled to pick up a Jet2 flight that flew right overhead.

I lost it at 1.6 miles!
I can normally watch them down to 1600 ft when they land at Leeds Bradford.

Oh well...
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: GlynH on September 04, 2009, 07:29:55 AM
Quote from: Jeremy on September 03, 2009, 10:55:38 PMMy set up continues to crash after about 30 mins so I am looking forward to a new and very fast machine being deliverd next week. I hope to be on cloud nine from then onwards!!
73 de J. (QRZ.com)

Good luck Jeremy...I would be interested to know how you ge ton with a new machine as I am seriously considering building a new one here although mine is a Dual 3.2GHz Xeon/4GB/1.25TB beast to begin with...

The problem is the amount of programs I have on here at the moment and everything works extremely well (apart from RB that is) so it not just a simple as build a new machine for me...it will take weeks/months to install/configure all of my software...

If I want to continue to enjoy my hobby it seems like I will have to do something soon though as it is all wearing a little thin now...

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: GlynH on September 04, 2009, 07:34:32 AM
Quote from: DougV on September 04, 2009, 12:18:22 AM
Looks like it has gone completely deaf now.
It just struggled to pick up a Jet2 flight that flew right overhead.

I lost it at 1.6 miles!
I can normally watch them down to 1600 ft when they land at Leeds Bradford.

Oh well...


I do hope its just the antenna but having had 2 different boxes go the same way myself I would brace yourself for the worst.

Do you have another antenna or someone close who might let you try your box on their antenna?

We did have some brief storms around here yesterday or the day before - I have never disconnected any of my kit in years and never have any problems but I found myself scurrying up into the loft the other day to unplug the antenna from the RB...:-(

God knows what might have happened if I weren't here to do so?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Jeremy on September 04, 2009, 09:15:23 AM
Glyn,
I am not convinced all the crashing is due to me but my computer is 4 years old. It is supported by my company so I thought it was time the chairman had a new one!! 4 core 64bt coming my way and I have put aside 2 weeks to move everything over, 2 weeks of hell I fear!
73 de J.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: EK01 on September 04, 2009, 12:31:34 PM
Quote from: Jeremy on September 03, 2009, 11:51:46 PM
I had problems with RF getting in when Txing on the amateur bands and RFI getting out causing 5 S points of noise on 20m. I replaced the USB lead with a screened lead from Maplins and that has cured those problems as reported before. My computer is 4/5 years old and the MYFlights list just grows and grows until the software crashes. I am hoping a new machine will cope with the cpu load better!! A great box but it has caused me problems. 73 all. de j.


Jeremy,
Just as a matter of interest what was the make/name/part number etc of the screened USB lead you got from Maplins. I also experience noise from my airband radio and with having a Maplins nearby would appreciate any details you can supply on the product as it seems to have solved your problems.

Cheers,
Ian
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Jeremy on September 04, 2009, 01:54:46 PM
L08BT USB2 A-Min 5pin 1.5m
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: EK01 on September 04, 2009, 02:36:02 PM
Thanks, mate

Ian
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: CoastGuardJon on September 04, 2009, 09:32:54 PM
Hi Doug, my supplied antena has also gone completely U/S (<4 months outside!), the metal element has rusted very badly, almost through in a couple of places.    The RG174 cable has damp all the way through it to the SMA plug.    The metal magnet in the antenna base should've been connected to the screen of the co-ax, but was totally isolated by corrosion dissolving the copper screen.

I've connected a Moonraker Miniscan (bought through Maplins) and am only picking up very occasional aircraft and only to a range of about 30 miles.

http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Scanning-Receiving-and-Avionics/Mobile-Scanner-Antennas/MINISCAN-MOBILE

Although I've a Watson Radar Extender, I'm not going to get the chance to erect it this year, so I am wondering about an SSE-1090, which I can tack onto the flat roof, by hanging out of the window, without scafolding etc..

I am wondering if the RB has developed the deaf syndrome, so may contact one of the Forum members to try it against their box, as it it one of the later "bomb-proof" boxes.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: GlynH on September 05, 2009, 06:02:36 AM
Quote from: CoastGuardJon on September 04, 2009, 09:32:54 PMI've connected a Moonraker Miniscan (bought through Maplins) and am only picking up very occasional aircraft and only to a range of about 30 miles.

http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Scanning-Receiving-and-Avionics/Mobile-Scanner-Antennas/MINISCAN-MOBILE

Although I've a Watson Radar Extender, I'm not going to get the chance to erect it this year, so I am wondering about an SSE-1090, which I can tack onto the flat roof, by hanging out of the window, without scafolding etc..

I am wondering if the RB has developed the deaf syndrome, so may contact one of the Forum members to try it against their box, as it it one of the later "bomb-proof" boxes.

My educated guess would be that the box is OK.

The likely culprit would be the antenna which IMHO is totally unsuitable for the RB.

What gives the game away is the listed receive frequency of 100-1300MHz which as its name suggests is a Jack-of-all-Trades wideband receive antenna and not a specialized 1090MHz antenna.

I realise it is cheap but it will have considerable negative impact on performance as will cheap RG58 coax which I am guessing you may have fitted?

I once connected my Royal Discone to the RB and had a similar experience.

You really need the Watson mounted ASAP - you will be amazed at the difference it makes and wonder why you never fitted it sooner!

You still have 3 months left of this year so you might be able to work something out even if all you do is get some decent coax connected and the Watson stuck on a pole somewhere?

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: CoastGuardJon on September 05, 2009, 11:39:18 AM
Hi Glyn,
Thanks for that.    Yes I agree the Moonraker Miniscan isn't the ideal twig to use on the RB.    I've got some RG174, so it would be worth trying the RB antenna with a re-wire, although the difference in the actual lengths of the elements on the RB and Miniscan are not huge, it may be enough to miss ADSB signals.

I've got far, far too many things which need doing before erecting the Watson (the boss' priority list), it will be some 36' in the air, at the base, and I'll need a very good quality scaffold tower to do it.     I had so many things planned to do this summer, but the Great British weather has made it impossible.     I'll probably plump for the SSE-1090, as I could get that sorted in an hour.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Jeremy on September 05, 2009, 12:45:05 PM
Jon,
Why not experiment and just make up a basic virtical dipole 6 cms either side and hang it out of your window on a bit of string. That should be broadband and efficient enough to tell you if the box is working or not.
Jeremy
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: CoastGuardJon on September 05, 2009, 02:06:43 PM
Hi Jeremy, many thanks for the suggestion, I'm already looking at having a play with making a Slim Jim

http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html

I was also going to knock one up for Airband, as they're quick and easy to make, with materials that are usually readily to hand.    I have to get any antenna clear of the flat roof to receive anything (always been that way)  on 1090 as our walls are stone and the best part of 2 feet thick.

To start with I was getting planes out to the 200 mile mark over the sea (next stop the Scillies and USA), but range is drastically reduced, which is why I agree it is probably antenna lnked rather than the RB itself.    Time will tell.     A dipole with 6.75cm lengths would be quarter wave? as 1090 is 27cm wavelength?
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Jeremy on September 05, 2009, 03:39:41 PM
6.75 each side, total length a halfwave dipole. Use a garden cane to hang it on and support your coax at 90 deg. My law of Thumb is the longer you take in putting up aerials the sooner they come down. I have active bits iof string everywhere and they have been up for years!!
If you have a magmount, put a 6 cm bit of coathanger or garden wire in it and stick it to a metal tray in the center. Put that on your flat roof.
J.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: GlynH on September 05, 2009, 10:02:16 PM
You guys scare me talking about bits of string, coathangers and garden cane. :-)

Jon...pm me your address and I will send you one of the two RB antennas I have here and have never used to check out the performance of your box.

Maybe it could become a 'pool aerial' to be used by those who are having suspected antenna problems?

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: CoastGuardJon on September 05, 2009, 10:22:17 PM
Hi Glyn, many thanks for the offer - PM sent.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Jeremy on September 05, 2009, 11:09:08 PM
Glyn,
Nothing to be afraid of. Part of having an amateur radio license I suppose. All the commercial aerials do is stack arrays up the plastic pipe and give you a bit of extra gain. A basic bit of wire for receiving can be very basic and work well. Transmitting on it is another game. I have 560ft or wire in a loop around the garden at 30ft and I talk to the world. 1.2 GHz just makes it all smaller! All the talk about different makes of coax and losses makes me smile as over 30 odd feet the loss is very small. It will either work or not and at least will tell you if the aerial has a short or not. I haven't tried the 560 ft loop on the RB yet. I will try it tomorrow. 73 de J.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: FlightChaser on September 06, 2009, 12:37:44 AM
Bits of wire and coat hangers are part of having an amateur license :) We like to experiment, that's part of the fun!
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 06, 2009, 04:37:03 PM
Hi Guys.

Sorry I haven't had chance to get on over the last day or two.
I am the engineer on call at work and have had to work the weekend. :o(

I will keep everyone updated once I get a chance to have a play again.

Doug
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 08, 2009, 05:51:58 PM
New antenna arrived today.
Put it up on the temporary mast sticking out of the loft window.

The box is most definitely deaf.
Looks like it is going to be going for a warranty repair.

The shop I bought it from is a Pilot supply shop, so should I send it to Waters & Stanton or can I send it to AOR in Matlock?
Anyone know if there is a specific repair centre?

Doug
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: AirNav Support on September 08, 2009, 07:41:37 PM
Contact us through the methods in our signature and we will give you the details.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 08, 2009, 10:47:42 PM
Thank you Support.

I have submitted a request via the website.

Doug
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 10, 2009, 04:30:47 PM
QuoteI have submitted a request via the website.

No reply yet.

Did you receive my request?
I can re-submit it if required.

Doug
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: AirNav Support on September 10, 2009, 09:09:35 PM
We don't have anything from the email listed in your forum profile. Try using the ticket system rather than sending an email.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: DougV on September 10, 2009, 09:34:33 PM
QuoteTry using the ticket system rather than sending an email.

That would be the contact form on the web site?
I did that last time.

I have used it again.

Thanks,

Doug
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: CoastGuardJon on September 24, 2009, 05:53:30 PM
Hi all, well thanks to the very generous offer by GlynH, I received a brand new ANRB standard antenna, and replaced the Moonraker Miniscan with it (I must admit with considerable scepticism) not expecting much, in fact, quite expecting to find the RB itself, had gone deaf.

The difference is absolutely unbelievable, last evening, it picked up about 80 aircraft in well under an hour, (25 or so instantly, as the program ran up), but the range is incredible, well over 200 miles.

I ran it up again this evening, 90 a/c recorded in 40 minutes (as I post this an hour and a half later 150 count), the most distant at 246nm according to the radar rings, many well over Ireland.

With the Moonraker twig, I was getting a max. of 3-4 in an hour and a maximum range of 30-35 miles.   It just goes to show what a superb little antenna the standard twig is.

I'm using a Lindy USB 2.0 Active Extenson System Pro (4 port hub, Part No. 42783)

http://www.lindy.co.uk/12m-usb-2-active-extension-pro-4-port-hub/42783.html

with 12m length, costing £53 delivered, which is working brilliantly, the antenna is on the flat roof with RB on the end of the supplied lead.   The psu with the entension kit provides up to 2A at 5 volts for whatever USB appliance is connected to the Hub. 

I bought and tried the Maplin's passive Cat 5/6 (10m) lead USB extension, which powered the RB up (green led) and the USB (blue led) flashing every second, but not detecting any a/c messages at all, nor giving any info to the lap-top powering it (running on mains power not just the battery), whether this set up would've have worked OK with a desk-top with high power psu, I do not know.

Now, I have a slight problem - Glyn's very generous offer of his unused antenna for use as a "pool" antenna, by any Forum member to test their RB, to prove as with mine, whether the antenna or RB is acting up - but I don't really want to let it go!

Anyway, the antenna is Glyn's and I will support his very generous gesture - he won't even take any payment from me for delivery, so I will do the same for anyone who needs to borrow it to test their RB.

I would strongly suggest, having completely ruined my standard twig, that anyone with a supplied antenna, remove the plastic film over the magnetic base it peels off easily, lever out the magnet, check the state of the co-ax and soldered connections, if at all discoloured or corroded, replace the co-ax.  Before re-assembling fill the void with (preferably) electricians' silcone grease ( Vaseline would also give some protection against water entry.   Also, do the same with the metal thread that the element screws on to.    When fully assembled, clean any excess grease off and paint the whole thing to get it as near water-proof as possible.     Mine had been out on the flat roof for less than 4 months, and water had permeated and made its way right down to the SMA plug, as well as rotting off the connections within the antenna base.

AN, I would strongly suggest that you get these antennas manufactured as water-proof externals.    It wouldn't add significantly to the costs, and would be a very worthwhile improvement to a fantastic product.

I know we've got a bit of high pressure stuck over us at the moment and that may be giving improved reception, but my reception with the standard antenna against the Moonraker Miniscan is a direct comparison under the same conditions.

And finally (thank heavens, I can hear!) my very grateful and public thanks to Glyn who made this possible.
Title: Re: Alas poor Radarbox, I knew it well...
Post by: Spaice on September 24, 2009, 06:21:41 PM
It would also be nice if the supplied antenna came with coax cable hat was of higher quality and longer, this would cost more, but even if it was an option I would be happy to buy a magnetic mount antenna that is waterproof,  has longer cable and has high quality connectors.