Hi. My flight from LHR-YYZ got cancelled yesterday, my RB is in my checked bag, which they did not return to us. I would like to use the RB network from my hotel, without benefit of my hardware being available ... is this possible? how? I've got RB program running (well over 5 mins now), but still I have 0 flights on the network tab.
Any insight/guidance appreciated.
Tony - stranded at LHR til at least 1530 today.
Hi Tony,
You cannot get network flights without the box.
You could go to http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm and download PP. I think if you pay you will be able to use the PlanePlotter network straight away.
Tom
Thanks Tom.
Wow. That just makes no sense at all. I have an account, that I pay for, you would think that Network flights would be accessible when the hardware is not available.
Would be interested in hearing from AirNav support on why this is the case.
Rgds,
Tony - now frustrated at LHR.
Quote from: apjwright on September 11, 2009, 07:16:53 AMWow. That just makes no sense at all. I have an account, that I pay for, you would think that Network flights would be accessible when the hardware is not available.
Because you could share your network account details with others who could also then use the Airnav network. In effect, the Radarbox box acts as a "dongle" security device.
Quote from: tarbat on September 11, 2009, 07:20:16 AM
Because you could share your network account details with others who could also then use the Airnav network. In effect, the Radarbox box acts as a "dongle" security device.
Besides, if everyone connected to the network without their RadarBox hardware being online, there wouldn't be any network traffic for them to look at :-)
Great answer Dave...wish I had thought of that!
Remind me again why *that* option always defaults to checked? ;^)
<ducking>
-=Glyn=-
The main reason was piracy and we didn't want RadarBox software to be passed around and "hacked" so anyone could get access to the network.
Orginally we wanted the network only accessible via RadarBox customers however this has slightly changed now due to RB customers wanting the network price as cheap as possible.
So who else does have access to the network?
The slight change is that Live Flight Tracker customers can watch the European data picked up by RadarBox customers.
Aha! So our data IS being distributed further than we thought. Thin end of the wedge? Perhaps a further price reduction because the whole thing has become devalued? Thought not.
DC
Airnav - you are being a bit naughty here. You made a clear statement the other week that the network data was not being used elsewhere. It might have been tactfull to have released a statement.
Personally I am not concerned but you know it is a sensitive subject!!
Deadcalm,
Not sure what you mean by Aha!. That was known ages ago when we released the European version and we explained why. It is also delayed data before you say otherwise. It hasn't been devalued at all.
Furthermore you easily forget some of the other items we have had to do to please RB customers. In one case something that you really wanted. We would like to remind you of the agreement we needed to do with FlightStats to get route data for Europe. This was not free and it cost us in many other ways. Again this has been dicussed on the forum.
Its quite simple really, there are costs in many of these extra features that customeds want us to have. If we have to absorb these costs as customers don't want to pay we need to find alternatives to match those costs. If not we won't be around much longer. Choices need to be made, its easy sitting at home and making a quick judegment when you don't have all the details and the full picture.
Deadcalm: access to network data is almost free (5 EUR) per month and we can't have it free because it uses our servers extensively.
Again this forum has now almost 2500 users and we can't daily read your constant negative posts always focusing on the same facts.
AirNav Development -
When the included subscription is due to expire, could your system send an email, with a link for the renewal of the service access?
It seems at present that this is missing!!!
I used the access very little and got no reminder, or prompt to extend the facility!!!
Problem is jgrloit is that customers buy the RadarBox from dealers and other ways so we have no email for them just there RadarBox login.
Well I linked the login to an E-Mail address when I created the ID on the Forum - That would be a good place to start.
I even get emails when PM traffic is sent on the forum!!!!
No Excuse in this instance!!!
Wish it was that simple, and what about the customers who don't sign up to the forum :)