Why is it that I see so little traffic,even on the network, of flights going into Southampton and Bournemouth? Is it that there is no local coverage although I see one RB in the area or is it the commercial flights using those airports do not have mode-s?
Jeremy.
I suspect that the aircraft, although they probably have Mode S and should appear in the aircraft list, are not transmitting the ADS-B position information.
What airlines/aircraft fly the commercial flights into these airports?
I know Flybe use Southampton a great deal but do not use ADS-B position info. However Ryanair and Tui use Bournemouth and do register.
Flybe use Emb 190's & DHC8-Q400's into Southampton (or Eastleigh as known to locals) and these types do not have ADS-B equipment fitted. Do not see many other Embraer or Bombardier aircraft show on the map either - crj's etc.
I am a few miles from bournemouth, I only see around 4 flights a day going to bournmouth etc, - & my range is not excellent, around 80 miles all round.
John -
Can we do a quick poll to see where you guys have your RB's located to assess coverage in the south. I'm about to buy and am in Blandford.
Nick
Quote from: NickJackson on October 01, 2009, 05:32:51 PM
Can we do a quick poll to see where you guys have your RB's located to assess coverage in the south. I'm about to buy and am in Blandford.
Bear in mind, though, that no matter how many RBs there are in the area, you won't see on the network any of the non-ADS-B aircraft that they are picking up.
As for your own likely reception, that's dependent also on how high you are, and the buildings and topography immediately around you. You could end up having much better (or much worse) reception that someone 5 miles away from you.
Quote from: NickJackson on October 01, 2009, 05:32:51 PM
Can we do a quick poll to see where you guys have your RB's located to assess coverage in the south. I'm about to buy and am in Blandford.
Nick
Locations of users are mapped (not entirely accurately) here
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php (http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php)
Ryanairs regularly picked up into Hurn, sometimes down to 0ft from my position about 30 miles east, seen the occasional TOMxxx flights also.
My advice if you're in Blandford and what to know whats flying about, buy an RB!
Charters into Exeter and EZY/KLM into Bristol also proliferate, as well as the masses of traffic streaming across the channel and inbound from the west into the UK and europe.
Quote from: nortonbeak on October 01, 2009, 06:00:13 PM
Locations of users are mapped (not entirely accurately) here
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php (http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php)
Not entirely accurate is just a little exaggerated.. ;-)
Positions are derived from your IP number, my provider is based in Amsterdam, but I'm living 150 km from Amsterdam, but only 50 km. from Düsseldorf-Germany.
So the card is more rubbish then anything else!!
jannuh
p.s.: have entered my exact position in RB
T1mbo - am close to Winchester if that helps with your query