Anyone here use Planeplotter ? What exactly does it do ?
Is it worth a look/buying ??
Cheers,
Paul.
I've used Planeplotter. If you pay for it, you get access to the near-real-time Planeplotter network of aircraft. Although your own local aircraft will appear 5-minutes delayed.
I use it less and less now - it's advantages over the Radarbox network are diminishing.
More info. at http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm
Thanks Tarbat,
I just had a quick search and downloaded it. Looks nice, but can't see what it can really offer over and above RadarBox.
Cheers,
Paul.
Quote from: MrT on September 28, 2009, 11:40:26 AMI Looks nice, but can't see what it can really offer over and above RadarBox.
Access to the near-real-time Planeplotter network. That advantage is now diminishing though.
Thanks Tarbat,
I should have my RB delivered tomorrow (Tue) so I think that will distract me from stuff like Planeplotter for a while! :)
Can't wait to try it out.
Cheers,
Paul.
One nice thing about Planeplotter is the ability to show data from HFDL, ACARS
and Radarbox or SBS-1. So you get the full picture so to speak. Plus customer
support 2nd to none! Bev works very hard to keep his products right up to date.
Ken
Does Planespotter show ACARS on radar screen?
J.
Yes providing that the ACARS message has lat/long in the message
Regards
Stewart
If you are in the UK or SE Australia, then you would get good coverage from planeplotter. I think there's only 5 people in the USA and Canada that use it.
ACARS position data is added to non-position Mode-S reports, so that's kind of neat, but then ACARS planes with position data usually transmit about 4 times across the state. Not enough to keep your interest up.
One advantage might be, that it is inclusive of SBS-1 and radarbox users. Radarbox doesn't have any way of importing sbs-1 data and the sbs-1 can't import radarbox data. So that might be a way to get a radarbox and an sbs-1 to share data.
The radarbox is supposed to have a compatible socket interface with the sbs-1, but most people that use planeplotter have hacked sbs-1 that deletes the 5 minute delay.
Anyway, it appears that Europe shares more ADS-B data in various forms than in the USA. So if you are in Europe you should have plenty of ways to plot data.
Quote from: tarbat on September 28, 2009, 11:48:04 AM
Access to the near-real-time Planeplotter network. That advantage is now diminishing though.
Tarbat,
That advantage will never diminish unless AirNav decide to put non-ADSB data on their network. ;0)
Tom
Quote from: viking9 on September 28, 2009, 05:58:04 PM
Quote from: tarbat on September 28, 2009, 11:48:04 AM
Access to the near-real-time Planeplotter network. That advantage is now diminishing though.
That advantage will never diminish unless AirNav decide to put non-ADSB data on their network.
I may be in a minority (though possibly not) but personally I would love it if AirNav could put non-ADS-B aircraft on the network (as per PlanePlotter), say with the option to download/display them or not according to the user's preference.
How about it, AirNav ?
Quote from: DaveReid on September 29, 2009, 12:39:07 PM
Quote from: viking9 on September 28, 2009, 05:58:04 PM
Quote from: tarbat on September 28, 2009, 11:48:04 AM
Access to the near-real-time Planeplotter network. That advantage is now diminishing though.
That advantage will never diminish unless AirNav decide to put non-ADSB data on their network.
I may be in a minority (though possibly not) but personally I would love it if AirNav could put non-ADS-B aircraft on the network (as per PlanePlotter), say with the option to download/display them or not according to the user's preference.
How about it, AirNav ?
Yep, since the data is there, please provide it on all the interfaces available!
It's nice to have RB and PP run together, overhere in the Benelux and germany there are more SBS users, so you can see there share too.
For PP you pay once 25 euro incl. lifetime sharing!
Bust must admit like the RB screen layout much more then PP.
Two BIG advantages of PlanePlotter are...
1) Access to ALL network data not just your local data
2) MLAT capability to locate non positional MODE-S traffic
I use PP alongside RadarBox, I use PP to obtain data for network flights (RB doesn't allow this) and RB to view local traffic (better GUI) and upload to both networks, although I no longer subscribe to the RB network.
Quote from: Tallyho on September 29, 2009, 09:15:15 PM
Two BIG advantages of PlanePlotter are...
1) Access to ALL network data not just your local data
2) MLAT capability to locate non positional MODE-S traffic
I use PP alongside RadarBox, I use PP to obtain data for network flights (RB doesn't allow this) and RB to view local traffic (better GUI) and upload to both networks, although I no longer subscribe to the RB network.
That does it for me. I signed up.
Cheers,
Paul.
Quote from: Tallyho on September 29, 2009, 09:15:15 PM
Two BIG advantages of PlanePlotter are...
1) Access to ALL network data not just your local data
2) MLAT capability to locate non positional MODE-S traffic
I use PP alongside RadarBox, I use PP to obtain data for network flights (RB doesn't allow this) and RB to view local traffic (better GUI) and upload to both networks, although I no longer subscribe to the RB network.
Please excuse me if this a dumb question, but does RB's removal of the 5 minute delayed feed make PP more or less desirable ?
I've been toying with downloading it, but my IT skills are certainly not at the levels of some on here - so please speak slowly :o)))
Quote from: dl1812 on November 24, 2009, 01:29:32 PM
Please excuse me if this a dumb question, but does RB's removal of the 5 minute delayed feed make PP more or less desirable ?
I've been toying with downloading it, but my IT skills are certainly not at the levels of some on here - so please speak slowly :o)))
Y - E - S :-)
Now that AirNav have followed Kinetic and removed the delay in the data that RadarBox and SBS/BaseStation send to PlanePlotter, it won't be long before PP is able to offer a completely real-time network for a one-off fee.
And PP's other existing advantages (plotting non-ADS-B aircraft via multilateration, Google Earth integration, etc) will of course remain.
PP can be a little tricky to set up, particularly if you plan to upload to the multilateration network (which isn't mandatory) so joining the PP Yahoo Group, at least until you're up and running, is highly recommended.
Quote from: DaveReid on November 24, 2009, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: dl1812 on November 24, 2009, 01:29:32 PM
Please excuse me if this a dumb question, but does RB's removal of the 5 minute delayed feed make PP more or less desirable ?
I've been toying with downloading it, but my IT skills are certainly not at the levels of some on here - so please speak slowly :o)))
Y - E - S :-)
Now that AirNav have followed Kinetic and removed the delay in the data that RadarBox and SBS/BaseStation send to PlanePlotter, it won't be long before PP is able to offer a completely real-time network for a one-off fee.
And PP's other existing advantages (plotting non-ADS-B aircraft via multilateration, Google Earth integration, etc) will of course remain.
PP can be a little tricky to set up, particularly if you plan to upload to the multilateration network (which isn't mandatory) so joining the PP Yahoo Group, at least until you're up and running, is highly recommended.
Hi Dave,
Many thanks for that; I shall investigate. And thanks for speaking slowly :o)