AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: radarspotter10 on October 13, 2009, 02:15:09 PM

Title: pilots and laser lights
Post by: radarspotter10 on October 13, 2009, 02:15:09 PM
Accident waiting to happen,  problem is laser lights are getting stronger.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8304041.stm
from pat.
Title: Re: pilots and laser lights
Post by: spikem on October 13, 2009, 02:43:24 PM
Regularly listen to pilots approaching manchester giving laser reports, Police are usually there within minutes.
Title: Re: pilots and laser lights
Post by: Johnn on October 13, 2009, 02:50:56 PM
Interesting Topic, I have never heard about lasers being used to distract aircraft.
Thanks for the post, very interesting
John
Title: Re: pilots and laser lights
Post by: sterigia on October 13, 2009, 03:46:39 PM
military have used them for years
Title: Re: pilots and laser lights
Post by: nortonbeak on October 13, 2009, 05:34:33 PM
At least the idiots that do it get locked up.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2009/01/06/judge-s-warning-after-laser-aircraft-danger-case-84229-22616437/ (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2009/01/06/judge-s-warning-after-laser-aircraft-danger-case-84229-22616437/)
Title: Re: pilots and laser lights
Post by: EK01 on October 14, 2009, 02:07:04 PM
Regularly hear pilots being warned by ATC when approaching both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports that laser lights are being used in the area. There are clearly some nutters around but apparantly you can buy these things for just a few pounds.
Title: Re: pilots and laser lights
Post by: Brimon on October 14, 2009, 02:17:20 PM
EK01 I've been shining one across the valley at your house for months.
Title: Re: pilots and laser lights
Post by: EK01 on October 15, 2009, 02:19:49 PM
Brimon,
So it has been you. I keep thinking it's the police and everytime it happens I retire quickly to the garden shed. One of these times they'll spot me sitting on my roof with my binoculars. No really, officer I'm not a peeping tom, I'm watching aircraft approaching Glasgow Airport.
Oh yes, we believe you !
Title: Re: pilots and laser lights
Post by: bearcat on October 21, 2009, 12:16:12 PM
In Bradford this guy has just been sentenced to 6 months for shining a laser at a police helecopter. He'll probably be out in 2 months.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/4692571._Laser_pen_lark_could_have_killed_helicopter_crew_/?ref=mr