AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: GreekSpy2001 on October 18, 2009, 03:48:05 PM

Title: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: GreekSpy2001 on October 18, 2009, 03:48:05 PM
Hi

It seems my laptop takes an inordinate amount of time validating the database on startup.  Is there a switch (similar to /connect) I can use to bypass this check?  If I'm in the field I may want to start the app fairly quickly.

thanks

Graham
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: GreekSpy2001 on October 18, 2009, 04:10:28 PM
Much longer than that will time it.  watch this space

Graham
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: GreekSpy2001 on October 18, 2009, 04:20:41 PM
5mins 20 of which 5mins spent validating mylog.db3 (196,161KB)

Possible the size causing the problem?   What would I miss If I just put a blank one in its place?

Laptop fairly high spec with Intel Core Duo 2.2GHz  3gb ram. Running XP.

Graham
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: tarbat on October 18, 2009, 04:22:18 PM
Possibly a virus checker problem.  Have you told your virus checker to exclude the radarbox folder from its checking?

I regularly clear down the log to remove anything older than a month.  In MyLog, select Tools - Delete Old Data.
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: GreekSpy2001 on October 18, 2009, 04:25:37 PM
As it is a work laptop I can't alter the Av settings.  They have blocked that even from local admin.  SO I guess I'll have to live with it.  As its not my main station I'll try deleting as you suggest.

Graham
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: tarbat on October 18, 2009, 05:23:27 PM
Just shows what damage a virus checker can do to Radarbox performance ;)
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: Pinza on October 18, 2009, 08:59:48 PM
Almost certainly a virus checker problem.

My setup was taking up to ten minutes to start (certainly an 'inordinate' length of time!)

Tinkered with AVG and ThreatFire settings (telling them to exclude scanning my ANRB directory).

Great - now starts within 15 seconds!

Best of luck
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: Fenris on October 18, 2009, 10:12:09 PM
I have my Airnav directories set not to be scanned by AVG, but even so I do find that sometimes the startup takes a fair while and yet at other times it is quite quick.

I suspect that especially if you start RB soon after the boot process has appeared to be finished there are still other processes running that are eating CPU cycles and slowing it down.
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: radarspotter10 on October 18, 2009, 11:34:49 PM
Quote from: Fenris on October 18, 2009, 10:12:09 PM
I have my Airnav directories set not to be scanned by AVG, but even so I do find that sometimes the startup takes a fair while and yet at other times it is quite quick.

I suspect that especially if you start RB soon after the boot process has appeared to be finished there are still other processes running that are eating CPU cycles and slowing it down.

hi fenris.
my laptop takes about 1minute 30 sec i use avg my main computer is fast 30 seconds.
from pat
Title: Re: Startup Validating DB's
Post by: bratters on October 19, 2009, 05:18:49 AM
Quote from: Pinza on October 18, 2009, 08:59:48 PM
Almost certainly a virus checker problem.

My setup was taking up to ten minutes to start (certainly an 'inordinate' length of time!)

Tinkered with AVG and ThreatFire settings (telling them to exclude scanning my ANRB directory).

Great - now starts within 15 seconds!

Best of luck

Agreed - no question that this is the area to sort out Greekspy.