AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: jetset on October 29, 2009, 08:14:23 PM

Title: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on October 29, 2009, 08:14:23 PM
Has anyone got any experience with this.?

I'm looking at getting a dedicated 1090 MHz antenna and this one has a purported 6.5db gain where as the Watson Radar Extender has 6db.

I know it's only .5db difference, but it's also £10 cheaper.

I'll add that I'm not going down the pre amp route just yet. I want to see what sort of reception I'll get with just the aerial and some Westflex 103 first.

Cheers

Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on October 29, 2009, 10:14:25 PM
LOL..couldn't wait for the replies and bought one..:-)
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: daelight on October 30, 2009, 12:28:51 PM
How do find this antenna? Please post your findings it would be a great help.
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: marcdeklerk on October 30, 2009, 02:52:49 PM
Dpd in the USA sells a 9dbi antenna...
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on October 30, 2009, 04:47:06 PM
Quote from: marcdeklerk on October 30, 2009, 02:52:49 PM
Dpd in the USA sells a 9dbi antenna...

I'm aware of that, and it could be an upgrade option in the future.

At the moment, I'm using my Scan King antenna in the loft with 10 metres of RG213 and getting good reception considering.

My plan is to compare various setups (RG213 + RADAR-100 / Westflex + Scan King / Westflex + RADAR-100) before I stick something up on the chimney.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm achieving now with my current set up

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: Jeremy on October 30, 2009, 07:30:30 PM
If you are going to start taking half Dbs into account the changes in propergation will have to be taken into condiseration!!!
J.
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on October 30, 2009, 09:34:21 PM
Quote from: Jeremy on October 30, 2009, 07:30:30 PM
If you are going to start taking half Dbs into account the changes in propergation will have to be taken into condiseration!!!
J.

Well I'm not taking .5 into consideration. I only stated that as a specification detail and have no idea whether it is important or not.

I was, however, taking the £10 difference in to consideration.

I don't even understand your statement..can you explain.?

Cheers
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: Canonjohns40D on October 30, 2009, 10:57:53 PM
Hi Jetset

Just for informaton here is my polar diagram with the DPD aerial mounted on a 6 foot pole on the chimney.

John
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on October 30, 2009, 11:25:33 PM
Wow, that's got bigger since I last saw it John.!!!!!!! (excuse the filth corner innuendo)

I take it you haven't had any problems with lightning strikes..LOL that's my next worry.

Am I right in saying that you've got that set up with a pre amp.?
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: Canonjohns40D on October 31, 2009, 12:28:15 AM
Ohh Steve, you are awful, but i like you!!! Ahemmm!!!!!!!!, back to business.

To date no problems with lightning I have tended to disconnect the aerial if there was any lightning in the aera just in case. No preamp just a feed straight from the DPD into the box.

John
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on October 31, 2009, 01:37:58 AM
Well that is impressive.

I'm thinking I was to hasty in my purchase now...!

Thanks for the info John.


Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jannuh on October 31, 2009, 12:43:47 PM
Your polar diagram has more to do with the environment where the antenna is placed as to what type of 1090 antenna you use.

Buildings, trees, hills  etc., they "build" your polar diagram!!
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on November 03, 2009, 07:31:07 PM
OK just got the Radar 100 and did a straight swap with the old Scan King in the loft.
Been running about 5 min. My flights shot up from 60 odd to 104 in this shot
Proof to me that a dedicated Antenna is a must and now wondering how much more it will pull in when I connect it to the Westflex. :-)

Edit - As I was posting I was up to 109 in my flights

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: CoastGuardJon on November 03, 2009, 08:39:00 PM
Quote from: jetset on November 03, 2009, 07:31:07 PM
OK just got the Radar 100 and did a straight swap with the old Scan King in the loft.

Hi jetset, how many and what range if it's sited outside - could be another big improvement.
I doubt you'll notice a huge difference with the Westflex, unless you've got a very long downlead...............
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on November 03, 2009, 09:01:07 PM
Quote from: CoastGuardJon on November 03, 2009, 08:39:00 PM
Quote from: jetset on November 03, 2009, 07:31:07 PM
OK just got the Radar 100 and did a straight swap with the old Scan King in the loft.

Hi jetset, how many and what range if it's sited outside - could be another big improvement.
I doubt you'll notice a huge difference with the Westflex, unless you've got a very long downlead...............

Well I've got the all clear from the Mrs (shock horror) to stick it up on the chimney so that will be the next step..although I want to get an airband and put that up there as well so it won't be just yet.

You weren't wrong when you told me back in April that this was going to be addictive.!! My polar diagram is expanding as we speak.

Edit...Different John but still a true statement..lol
Title: Re: Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on June 09, 2013, 12:58:51 PM
I know this thread is over 3 years old but I've finally got it up outside. :)
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7121.msg93398#msg93398