AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: MrT on November 21, 2009, 04:31:57 AM

Title: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 21, 2009, 04:31:57 AM
Anyone else using JSTARS?

I am having problems with it frequently locking up and crashing.

Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Allocator on November 21, 2009, 09:59:32 AM
Yes, I use JSTARS all the time.  No problems at all and it's very stable.  Do you have the latest JAVA runtime installed?  Are you running the registered version or the free version?

Also, are you using the latest version of JSTARS?

http://jstars.altervista.org/

Make sure that you 'Disconnect' JSTARS before exiting RadarBox, as it can get confused when it's looking for RB port output that isn't there.

What version of RB are you running?

Another thought, are you using more than one add-on that uses the port 30003 data output?  I seem to remember that early versions of RB wouldn't accept more than one connection at the same time.

Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 21, 2009, 10:12:34 AM
Thanks Allocator,

I think I've fixed it by setting up the directories where it saves data?

It's working ok as I type.

I have the latest version - unregistered as yet, (and also latest Java).

I am running RB 3.08

Cheers,
Paul
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Allocator on November 21, 2009, 10:14:43 AM
OK Paul, let us know how you get on.  I did some Beta testing with RB for the JSTARS author, so I have a pretty good understanding of how it works.  If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Have you viewed the Help Manual on the JSTARS website?
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 21, 2009, 10:19:29 AM
Quote from: Allocator on November 21, 2009, 10:14:43 AM
OK Paul, let us know how you get on.  I did some Beta testing with RB for the JSTARS author, so I have a pretty good understanding of how it works.  If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Have you viewed the Help Manual on the JSTARS website?

Thanks Allocator,

Yes, I think its all ok.

I am reading the online manual too.

Nice bit of software. About to register it.


Paul.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: JSTARS on November 22, 2009, 11:53:49 AM
I am glad you solved your problems with JSTARS - again a big thanks to Allocator for its precious and quick response.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 23, 2009, 08:22:11 AM
Quote from: JSTARS on November 22, 2009, 11:53:49 AM
I am glad you solved your problems with JSTARS - again a big thanks to Allocator for its precious and quick response.

No worries JSTARS,

I'll be ordering the licence.

Cheers,
Paul.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Frank on November 23, 2009, 10:23:46 PM
Does Jstars work with Windows 7? I have sent the author a couple of e-mails to forward me a new registration file of my registered copy, but he does not respond. Pity...

Frank
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 24, 2009, 07:51:11 AM
Ok,

I just paid my registration fee with my visa card (via paypal)

What happens now ? Do they send me an email with the reg file ?

Cheers,
Paul.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: GreekSpy2001 on November 24, 2009, 08:47:05 AM
Quote from: Frank on November 23, 2009, 10:23:46 PM
Does Jstars work with Windows 7? I have sent the author a couple of e-mails to forward me a new registration file of my registered copy, but he does not respond. Pity...

Frank

Got a new reg file from Rob at JSTARS to upgrade from running on XP to Win 7.  It is working fine on Windows 7 (I'm running the 64bit ver)

Graham
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Frank on November 24, 2009, 09:15:03 AM
Nice to hear. I have asked him to sent me a new reg.file as well, but he does not respond to me. Very strange.

Frank
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 24, 2009, 09:24:25 AM
Quote from: Frank on November 24, 2009, 09:15:03 AM
Nice to hear. I have asked him to sent me a new reg.file as well, but he does not respond to me. Very strange.

Frank

Hopefully he will. I just paid for a licence but not able to register yet.

Not sure how I even register the thing. I thought I'd be automatically sent a code after payment???

Its like everything today. These companies etc are very quick to take your dosh. Very slow to act. 
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: abrad41 on November 24, 2009, 09:33:05 AM
MrT

Give the man a chance, He maybe at work or out of the house.  I have had the program from JStars and everything will be fine, just be a little patient

Andy
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: OKC-Steve on November 25, 2009, 07:49:23 AM
Yes, registration should be instant email.  Obviously this guy is an amateur businessman, so my advice would be to call the credit card company and cancel the order.  Maybe you can order again one day when he pulls his thumb out.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 25, 2009, 08:03:26 AM
I think if he wants to charge for a product, he should also be able to deliver.

Still no word.

Glad its only 12 bucks.

Some people should not be allowed to operate a business. This bloke must be one of those.

Shame, nice looking little utility. (now deleted from my laptop)
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Frank on November 25, 2009, 08:39:48 AM
Though I still did not receive any replies from the author (Rob), I think there must be some kind of problem (illness or something else) with him, because I know him as an integer and helpfull gentleman. So just let's be patient .

Frank
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 25, 2009, 10:30:44 AM
Doesn't matter anymore.

Fed up with all the cr*p surrounding this hobby.

RB software also deleted and the Box is up for sale.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Protzenalp on November 25, 2009, 11:11:25 AM
It took him a couple of days to get back to me but he did and everything is working fine. He said that he was having some trouble with his Yahoo Mail.

I think it is sometimes a bit rich to moan too strongly about amateur businesses in this hobby. Sure AirNav provide the box, it is expensive and one expects a certain level of service.

There are also many amateurs out there developping add-ons that we like and use. Many of these guys have a day job, it is not their main source of income. There is also no reason why they should not be compensated for the time, effort and trouble that they put into maintaining the add-on. We all benefit and the price is really symbolic. So, I think a little more tolerance would not go amiss.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Allocator on November 25, 2009, 11:04:54 PM
A very harsh judgement MrT in my opinion. You need to use the Register option from within JSTARS to generate the message that goes to the software author as well as making the payment. A longer reply when I'm using the PC to reply rather than the phone!
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 26, 2009, 10:24:04 AM
Quote from: Allocator on November 25, 2009, 11:04:54 PM
A very harsh judgement MrT in my opinion. You need to use the Register option from within JSTARS to generate the message that goes to the software author as well as making the payment. A longer reply when I'm using the PC to reply rather than the phone!

I tried using the software to register. I get an error.

48 Hours now passed with no response to my order. I also emailed him with my order #  not long after ordering.

Pathetic.

Advice to anyone considering a JSTARS licence = DONT!
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: jannuh on November 26, 2009, 11:31:05 AM
Quote from: Protzenalp on November 25, 2009, 11:11:25 AM
It took him a couple of days to get back to me but he did and everything is working fine. He said that he was having some trouble with his Yahoo Mail.

I think it is sometimes a bit rich to moan too strongly about amateur businesses in this hobby. Sure AirNav provide the box, it is expensive and one expects a certain level of service.

There are also many amateurs out there developping add-ons that we like and use. Many of these guys have a day job, it is not their main source of income. There is also no reason why they should not be compensated for the time, effort and trouble that they put into maintaining the add-on. We all benefit and the price is really symbolic. So, I think a little more tolerance would not go amiss.

MrT, did you really read this post???

Read it else oncemore, reply later, reply in a way where not 2 of 3 words are accusations..    GL
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Allocator on November 26, 2009, 01:05:38 PM
Quote from: MrT on November 26, 2009, 10:24:04 AM
Quote from: Allocator on November 25, 2009, 11:04:54 PM
A very harsh judgement MrT in my opinion. You need to use the Register option from within JSTARS to generate the message that goes to the software author as well as making the payment. A longer reply when I'm using the PC to reply rather than the phone!

I tried using the software to register. I get an error.

48 Hours now passed with no response to my order. I also emailed him with my order #  not long after ordering.

Pathetic.

Advice to anyone considering a JSTARS licence = DONT!

Rob, the author of JSTARS is not running JSTARS as the product of a business.  He is an enthusiast like many of us here and I am sure that he has a 'day job' and a life of his own to get on with.  He has produced a very good utility program to work with the SBS-1.  He then spent a great deal of time changing JSTARS so that it also worked with RadarBox.  I feel that he is very justified in asking for a small contribution for all his work.  Remember that JSTARS Lite and JSTARS will both run without any payment or registration, although extra features are available if you do pay the JSTARS registration fee.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but I do not think that you are justified in the accusations that you make and your suggestion that others should not use JSTARS.  You are certainly not encouraging Rob to develop JSTARS any further, especially for RadarBox - how ungrateful.

I like JSTARS, I use JSTARS and I helped to Beta test JSTARS for RadarBox.  I paid the registration fee and I gave up my time to help and encourage Rob.  The reward that I get is the knowledge that I have helped the whole RadarBox community and and in my own small way I've helped in the development of JSTARS.

Rob, if you are reading this thread, keep up the good work - JSTARS is excellent :-)
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: viking9 on November 26, 2009, 02:22:43 PM
Allocator,

I totally endorse what you have written. JSTARS is a great product that I use all the time and I would encourage all RB users to get it.

Tom
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: radarspotter10 on November 26, 2009, 02:48:14 PM
hi all.
I have nothing but praise for JSTARS, he tried for over a week to get my one working
but my computer skills are a bit iffy.
The new airnav is going great for me, also my  RadarBox Network is up next month
need the two live RadarBox Network and Real-Time network maybe get some get discount airnav
sorry for going of topic a bit
from pat enjoying my airnav live
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: MrT on November 27, 2009, 08:01:27 AM
I dont need to read those posts Jannuh (or anyone else that disagrees).

Simple Facts

I ordered a product that was promoted as a 'commercial product' and paid $$$ for a licence.

I STILL HAVE NOT received it.

That is called bad customer experience. It is NOT good business. and all your excuses are making this bloke look a bigger clown than he obviously already is.

No excuses. I paid my $$$ I expect the goods. Simple, fundemental law of business.

Comprehend?
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: jannuh on November 27, 2009, 10:56:03 AM
Start your own one-way forum if you don't want to read!
Case closed.

Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: mjleprix on November 27, 2009, 01:15:53 PM
This guy Mr T is like a naughty child who every time he gets told off has to commit another misdemeanor to seek attention . Will somebody switch him off please.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: AirNav Support on November 27, 2009, 01:18:02 PM
MrT has now been banned for his behaviour on this thread and another. Please discuss Jstars nicely.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Peter on November 27, 2009, 01:53:27 PM
Has anyone managed to get it working in Windows 7, 64 bit please? I did have it working in XP3, sadly that computer died. I had Windows 7, 32 bit for a couple of weeks until my new one appeared. It didn't work in that either, but must admit, I didn't try too hard because I knew that I would have to re-install once the new one turned up.
The problem seems to lay in the fact that you cannot map any of the file locations out. I've tried locating direct, I've had in look in the virtual store etc, but now put it on the back burner whilst I get other stuff working again.

Thanks

Peter
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Peter on November 30, 2009, 03:52:01 PM
I can confirm that I've now got JStars working in Windows 7 64 bit Home edition. The key appears to be to "Right click" on the programme Icon, go into properties and tick for it to run in Windows XP3. The only remaining glitch is that although I originally paid for a licence on each of my computers, neither will release the caption "unregistered" on the replacement unit. As long as it doesn't keep shutting down every little while, I probably won't worry too much!

Peter
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Allocator on November 30, 2009, 05:39:05 PM
Peter,

The JSTARS registration file is generated partly by the operating system, so you will need to contact the author for a Windows 7 registration file if you have upgraded from XP.
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: JSTARS on December 02, 2009, 05:54:50 AM
First thing:

SORRY to everybody for my long absence, really.

I know it's not your business if I had problem with my official work (they sent me in another work location and my freetime timetable changed totally lastly), but this happen and this is the reason why I didn't read any email/forum lastly (and pity neither radar monitors activity)

I feel sorry to have damaged my "name" and "reliability" as person and as software.
It's not my primary activity, so sometime my beautiful hobby (airplane and programming) is destroyed by other high priority events.

BY THE WAY

1)
I'll try to put a message in my JSTARS website, at least to inform people when I estimate a long time of absence.

2)
Windows 7 support.
I've test JSTARS on Win7 HomePremium 32 bit, it works fine, without any compatibility mode.
Some users are using on Windows 7 64 bit with success, but I didn't test it personally.
Usually creating a new license.dat file we solved all problem with it.

3)
License.dat file is created manually, usually a special program I did. But input of date must be done my hand, that's why I cannot reply quickly and why there is a delay between fee donation and registration request and when I can issue registration.

4)
License.dat file is created by a special algorythm and it's based on Windows version too

5)
This early morning I've tried to reply to all emails written at jstars_software AT yahoo.com
Hope to solve all problems and allow you to enjoy with JSTARS and your radarbox, as I do daily.

6)
Thanks to everybody who understood situation and gave me patient, much appreciated, really

7)
I understand also guys tired of my absence/not quick response - I have no other solutions for them, simply my sincere apologize, my aim is to satisfy everybody to enjoy with my software and with their hobby, because I am the first one that enjoy on it.



Happy skies in mode-S
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Peter on December 02, 2009, 07:30:45 AM
Thanks Allocator, didn't twig that it was computer specific. Obviously JStars knows that I had 2 x licences in the first place so I'll explain all up and running again, but a change of machine and that should cure it.

Thanks

Peter
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Frank on December 02, 2009, 08:59:45 AM
Working nicely with the new .dat file on my Windows 7 64 bit system. Thanks for your effort.
Enjoying your nice little program again.

Frank
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Fenris on December 02, 2009, 11:03:40 AM
JSTARS, seems like it would be sensible to ask someone to help with generating registration codes when you're not available. Worth thinking about perhaps....?
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: radarspotter10 on December 02, 2009, 11:19:46 AM
Quote from: Fenris on December 02, 2009, 11:03:40 AM
JSTARS, seems like it would be sensible to ask someone to help with generating registration codes when you're not available. Worth thinking about perhaps....?


hi FENRIS.
I think thats a good idea, very good of you to volunteer.
do you not think JSTARS
from pat
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: JSTARS on December 02, 2009, 12:45:13 PM
Yes I thought about that idea, but I have to setup my license program first, because right now is not a final version and I can use it because I am its developer with development enviroment to do it - no had time to set it for the moment.
But it's a thread I put in my actual JSTARS wish list...
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: Allocator on December 02, 2009, 10:54:06 PM
Welcome back Rob.  I know just what you mean regarding the 'day job' - I'm in much the same position at the moment with just enough time to read the forum but not much time to do anything else!  I think that you will see from the thread here that people are very appreciative of what you have achieved with JSTARS - keep up the good work :-)
Title: Re: JSTARS
Post by: JSTARS on December 03, 2009, 04:47:37 AM
Thanks for your kind words Allocator.
I know Internet, software, people needs and so on... I can understand every point of view and I respect them.
Unlucky, as you said, there job situation that can change our timetable... we must be patient, our "friends" must  be patient.

JSTARS has reached a good level of quality and features, thanks to everybody have decided to use it.

Rob