AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: freqhopping on December 01, 2009, 11:34:33 PM

Title: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: freqhopping on December 01, 2009, 11:34:33 PM
After months of manipulating data into the proper form I have successfully imported all the data from the FAA into my RB database creating the most accurate database.  It's resulted in a 131MB NavData file with over 463,000 records.  Now it runs really slow.

I also removed all the US AC type, name and airline data from MyLog so I could re-populate that with the good data.  This is underway now and it seems like this is going to take awhile.  I have around 19,000 records to populate.
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: marcdeklerk on December 02, 2009, 06:58:53 AM
Any chance you can mail me the file aswell please?
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: GlynH on December 02, 2009, 07:15:32 AM
Quote from: freqhopping on December 01, 2009, 11:34:33 PM
After months of manipulating data into the proper form I have successfully imported all the data from the FAA into my RB database creating the most accurate database.  It's resulted in a 131MB NavData file with over 463,000 records.  Now it runs really slow.

I always had that issue but with an unmodified database over 120MB in size.

I see between 2500-3000 unique Mode-S aircraft each & every day here so my database soon grows.

I always do a fresh install when a new full version is released and so therefore lose my existing database(s) as I start afresh to give the app the best chance of performing well and ruling out any database anomolies but begrudge not being able to keep all of my existing contacts.

And the thought of editing my database using ANRB does not inspire me at all.

I did purchase a SQL Editor some time back but again I would not want to risk corrupting the data and so prefer to let the app do its thing.

I do admire your courage in spending months creating your accurate database!

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: abrad41 on December 02, 2009, 08:09:01 AM
freqhopping

Would be nice to have a copy of the database.

Andy
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: DVDW on December 02, 2009, 10:24:52 AM
If possible i would also be very pleased to obtain a copy of your database.

Regards,

Dirk.
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: charlie on December 02, 2009, 10:28:50 AM
freqhopping

Can I join the line to get a copy for your database please?

Cheers
Charlie
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: DaveReid on December 02, 2009, 11:00:08 AM
Quote from: GlynH on December 02, 2009, 07:15:32 AMI always had that issue but with an unmodified database over 120MB in size.

I see between 2500-3000 unique Mode-S aircraft each & every day here so my database soon grows.

I always do a fresh install when a new full version is released and so therefore lose my existing database(s) as I start afresh to give the app the best chance of performing well and ruling out any database anomolies but begrudge not being able to keep all of my existing contacts.

And the thought of editing my database using ANRB does not inspire me at all.

I've used the SQLite engine for a couple of large (non-aviation) projects and never come across this problem, even with tables that have millions of records.  To all intents and purposes SQLite is like pretty well any other SQL database (MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, etc) in that the size of the database should (and does) make little or no difference to the performance of an application that's making random access to individual records.

Something's not right here.
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: Fenris on December 02, 2009, 11:00:56 AM
Are you saying that there are 463,000 aircraft in the world or is the total including other information like routes and flight IDs?
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: DaveReid on December 02, 2009, 11:58:00 AM
Quote from: Fenris on December 02, 2009, 11:00:56 AM
Are you saying that there are 463,000 aircraft in the world or is the total including other information like routes and flight IDs?

The FAA's database contains approximately 375,000 N-registered aircraft, although a sizeable proportion of these are no longer extant, such is the FAA's housekeeping.

That represents rather less than half the aircraft in the world.
Title: Re: Apparently the full FAA datbase in my RadarBox database is a bad thing
Post by: ACW367 on December 04, 2009, 11:53:47 PM
21,000 registered in the UK at the beginning of the year

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/56/CLASS%20WG%20COFA%20CAT%20060109.pdf