I have only been running my AirNav Box for about 9 months.
Just windering if the big man who wears a red suit has ModeS fitted to this mode of transport for his work on and around the 25th of December????
Yes his flight number is Rudolph 1. I had a problem last year because of the 5 minute network delay, one minute he is in Asia,next Europe. However I expect great things of the real time network this year, I may even be able to spot him!
See the logos thread for his Flight ID and logo.
Rod
Cheers
Charlie
Registration SA-NTA
See previous discussions at:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1866.msg15004#msg15004
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1587.msg12471#msg12471
I heard that Santa had problems last year due to the cold affecting the battery power supply to the Mode S transponder - always a problem when operating an aircraft without an engine. Hopefully technology will have advanced a bit over the last 12 months.
All you need is a methane feed off the reindeer, then use that to power a small Stirling engine to produce electrickery and voila, Mode-S.
How's this for sad then, the only reindeer with antlers at Christmas time are females, males have long since lost their's!
Quote from: Allocator on December 05, 2009, 05:44:54 PMI heard that Santa had problems last year due to the cold affecting the battery power supply to the Mode S transponder - always a problem when operating an aircraft without an engine.
The battery must have failed sometime after flying over the Highlands of Scotland. I caught him last year over the west coast, en-route to the UK and then on to Europe.
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2696/4162059797_c5dd6ddc07_t.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/4162059797/sizes/o/)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/4162059797/sizes/o/
I even managed to video some of the flight last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox-wddqnRc4
Definately one to look out for this Yuletide ho ho ho ;)
http://www.noradsanta.org/
http://www.facebook.com/noradsanta
http://twitter.com/noradsanta
Tarbat
Looks like he was southbound.
Hopefully he should pass near my location (Huntingdon).
The RadarBox will be running.
You never know if 3D is out we'll get an even better view