Just started a project to update my database with the full routes for scheduled flights to/from Birmingham International (BHX/EGBB)
(downloaded from http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/showpage.aspx?id=64 )
However all Airlines and Airports are in IATA format rather than ICAO format.
ie bmibaby shows as WW rather than BMI, Monarch appears as ZB rather than MON etc (for airlines) and first entry in timetable (Aberdeen) shows as ABZ rather than EGPD etc.
Found http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/ to be useful resource, but any chance of ANRB being more flexible in which code to use?
(Or including a translation in the help pages?)
Was so much easier when printed timetables were readily available rather than Googling for pdf's!
Chris
RadarBox is pretty flexible regarding Airline codes - in Database Explorer we have the Airlines table which converts IATA codes to the ICAO codes used for displaying logos. That's why I always give IATA codes where I can for ICAO codes in the logos thread.
www.airframes.org has its Airlines page which does conversions from one to the other, and will be more up to date than any Help gages in a manual.
I know that routes are a bit of a problem - RB wants ICAO codes - so BA123 won't show, while BAW123 will, but in my experience that's not a major problem.
BTW, www.ch-aviation.ch is good for the latest updates to European ICAO and IATA airline codes.
Hope that helps.
Rod
Wiki also has a reasonable page here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_codes-All (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_codes-All)
You can then do a CTRL-F search on the code you have to get the tie-up. If you do a conventional wiki search for the airline name, on each airlines wiki page is a box on the righthand side which gives IATA, ICAO and Callsign.
For airport codes there is a direct read across IATA-ICAO on the A-Z lists here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Air_Transport_Association_airport_code
PS don't forget that a lot of the timetabled flightnumbers are not used as the radio/mode S callsign. Often they will be converted into Alpha-numeric numbers, BMIBaby and FlyBE both do this amoungst others.
Further help
KLM alpha-numerics here - http://www.airliners.nl/Schiphol/klmnumcall.pdf
Rod and ACW367,
Many thanks! Lots of useful info in your replies and will bookmark all your suggested links.
Cheers
Chris
A year has gone by since this topic. Which is the best (ie up to date) source for a list of airline ICAOvs IATA codes?
There are some websites with a very good look up feature but I am looking for a complete list on txt or csv
Chris
Wikipedia has airline codes listed in table form, so they can be copied and pasted into a spreadsheet. I can't vouch for their accuracy or up-to-date-ness, though.
To paste them into Excel, use Paste Special and choose the Text option.
HTH
Rod
Done that but is is very out of date :(
Found one - on the IATA site
http://www.iata.org/membership/Pages/airline_members_list.aspx?All=true
Good find, but a tabular list of ICAO codes would be even better - I've never found one of those :-(
Rod
And the IATA is not complete :(
...and a download costs $1159
Ok Rod - here is the best I can do without paying $1159
Useful list - thanks fpr that, Chris.
Rod
Added one and deleted a few and uploaded again
A slow process - I have added a number of airlines to the list and am up to about 900. There are another 400 airlines odd that I am checking as to validity (they are in hidden rows). During the checking so far I have found a large number that are defunct of renamed, etc so I assume that a fair percentage will be dropped off.
I have uploaded the spreadsheet again to the post above to save server space.