Hi
I purchased the RB last week and have to say I'm very happy with it. However every once and a while it disconnects from my PC and I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in.
Not a major problem but it just gets a little annoying after a while.
Any help is much appreciated
Rob
Hi Rob - after one year of experimenting with RB I reckon my setup is now about as good as I can get it, within the constraints of location. Aerial and box in loft, powered USB, standard twig and getting 60-100 flights at any given time and a range from France to Scotland.
But I still get the occasional cut-out and I put it down to some sort of electrical interference. I know that my central heating switching can cause a cut out - seen it happen - so it may be something along those lines. USB cables vary, even the supplied cables seem to differ - and experimenting with a different cable may help.
I have to say RB has never been better. The latest software is just brilliant and right now RB is a real pleasure to use. Enjoy it.
Rob - also check your sleep settings - your USB ports may be going to sleep after a fixed time.
Rod
Hello All,
I also have recently acquired a Radar Box and similarly agree with the comment of Rob that the unit appears to be very sensative to nearby electrical switching. As my 'box' disconnects when the flourescent tubes are switched off in the kitchen (next door to the shack). At first I thought it was a one-off but it is not. Even when the box is in a quiesent state with the blue led flashing slowly this stops for up to 4secs when I switch off my 40amp linear PSU which supplies various other radio kit on the bench.
This has happened both with the supplied 'mini-mag' antenna indoors and an external co-linear. I strongly suspect the USB lead
I intend to replace the existing USB lead with one with better screening and larger ferrites at both ends. Hopefully this may go some way to giving some immunity to the box.
If sucessful I will update those interested.
Tony
I use a number of cheap and nasty USB leads - no idea which one actually came with RB now - and also a USB/Cat 5 extender and I've never seen any USB disconnects on any of my PCs at any of the locations I've run RB. I can't believe that I'm just lucky here. Using both the supplied antenna and an external BS1100 antenna.
I used to suffer from regular USB disconnects with my SBS-1, but never seen it with RB.
Possibly depends on the routing of the cable Allocator. Mine runs through an airing cupboard which is an electronic Clapham junction.
Could no doubt be improved but no big fuss.
The first few months of using my RB with the supplied USB cable, I regularly suffered disconnects. I swapped the cable for one that came with my Canon powershot G9 camera about eight months ago, and have had no more disconnects since. I think its obvious what the problem was, but draw your own conclusion !
Hello All,
Also suffering from the USB disconnect problem,when I purchased my Airnav just over 12 months ago.
Replaced the supplied USB lead supplied with the airnav,for a high quality,
double screen lead obtain from ** world.
Never looked back,the system is on 24/7 and I use logme in free addition for remote access when working away.
PAUL
MW0CVW
Nr EGNR & EGGP
Definitely check the USB power management. Win 7 for sure does pwr down the USB by default which disconnects the box. I change my settings and the problem went away until I did a windowsupdate. Changed the settings back to default.... Grrr.. took me afew days to realise that one!!!
HTH
Graham
Hi Folks,
In my case the disconnection problem has been solved by replacing the supplied USB cable with a quality screened USB cable and as a further precaution against RF fields from other equipment in my shack I have also fitted a couple of fairly bulky ferrite cores. So far this appears to have the system totally immune to RF and nearby electrical switching interference.
I hope this helps others
Tony
I wonder if Airnav should reconsider the USB cable that is supplied with the RB. Seems to me that all too often members are posting this same problem on here. I along with others have replaced my cable with a better one after tying numerous different attempts at remedy. I suppose it could be considered that the problem is technically external - i.e. interference from elsewhere, but considering how common this is, a better shielded cable should be supplied in my opinion.
I wonder how many RB users (that maybe don't use the forum, and there must be some) are struggling with this problem. I guess some learn to live with it - some have set up auto s/w disconnect and re-connects at timed intervals. Eitherway it's not good is it ?
Not a moan - just (hopefully) constructive criticism.
I've got a drawer full of USB cables now and I really couldn't identify which one came with my RB. The only issue I've had is that some USB cables don't actually have the 5V power pins connected. All I can say is that I've never had a 'proper' USB cable that doesn't work with RB.
I'm pleased for you. If you undertake a search for "USB", "disconnects" etc. on the forum, you'll find there are many that have had problems, and often resolved after replacing the USB cable. 'nuff said !
I don't think that this is as simple as USB cable issues though. There are many other issues and I believe that they are related to power rather than cable problems. RB needs the full 5V to work as it's powered via the USB cable. Many laptops don't give sufficient current through some of their ports, and others cut the power if there is no user intervention for a while. Why should my setup be special using a number of PC's and laptops and random USB cables? Maybe I'm just lucky, very unlikely!
I'm a bit puzzled by your post. You've already stated that you have a plenty USB cables and "really couldn't identify which one came with my RB". To me this indicates two things:-
a) If you had never experienced a problem with the supplied cable, would it not be the one still connected to your RB ? It it worked fine from day one, I don't see why you might have removed it.
b) If you really don't know if you have actually used the supplied USB cable, then I don't see how you can comment on its effectiveness ?
As for the your thoughts that the problem is not as simple as cable issues... Hmm... In many cases swapping the cable for a better one resolves the problem - sounds simple to me ! I agree that some PCs can cut power if no user intervention etc., however this possibility as a root cause of disconnects is disproven when a cable swap solves the problem. I'm sure you'll agree that swapping a cable will not actually trigger Windows (or Mac) to adjust its own USB settings, so this does rather rule out USB settings as a cause.
As for the likliehood that your set up may be "special" - I cannnot comment. Suffice to say, your setup and apparently flawless operation doesn't have any effect on the numerous users that have had to exchange the cable to avoid disconnects. In the absence of any other substansive inforamtion I would suggest it is likely that you are fortunate (rather than lucky!)
Stay lucky !!
Crikey, what a long and detailed reply!
I use my 2 RadarBoxes in a multitude of locations as my job takes me all over the country. As far as I'm concerned, ALMOST all USB cables are identical - apart from the case I described regarding the lack of power connections - so life is too short to remember which cable came with USB device. I just grab the next cable out of the drawer or my bag/box of cables!
Don't know what you are trying to suggest about my 'flawless' operation - just plain fact and also maybe due to nearly 30 years of playing with computers :-)
You seem to be trying to say that that the USB cable supplied with RB is not as good as all those other USB cables out there - well, I disagree - they are hardly hi-tech items and are all much of a muchness!
Quote from: Allocator on January 30, 2010, 09:14:54 AM
- well, I disagree - they are hardly hi-tech items and are all much of a muchness!
I'm sure they are much of a muchness, with the exception that (going by the reports on the forum), the supplied one is often associated with disconnects - whereas better quality ones (e.g. shielded and/or with ferrite cores) tend not to be associated with disconnects.
Thanks for your interesting input on the subject.
We will agree to disagree then. Mountains and Molehills come to mind.
Agreed. Rose tinted glasses come to my mind !
All the best
No, just pure FACT!
Hi Eggplant and Allocator - the usb lead that came with my RB (Nov/Dec '08) was totally u/s (W&S sent a replacement with my RB, when they sent my RB back with a new board fitted - RB working brilliantly since new pcb) but substituting the USB lead from one of our cameras did the trick. As regards the power supply, since I've been using the Lindy Active USB Hub and 12m extension, reception has improved substantially and consistently. The quality of USB leads does vary quite a bit, same as co-ax, some has much better screening. Just my 10 penn'orth!
Quote from: Allocator on January 30, 2010, 04:07:45 PM
No, just pure FACT!
"pure FACT" ??? By your own admission you haven't even seen an instance of the problem that is under discussion ! With respect, I really do not understand how/why you clearly have strong opinions on subject matter that you appear to be less than qualified to comment on... could you not simply have stated " I have not seen this problem", and retained an open mind ???
As for your "mountains/molehills " comment - some users (me included) do consider the problem of random disconnection to be metaphorically aligned closer to a "mountain" than a "molehill". Many users leave the RB unattended during the working day - and/or overnight , and wish to view the logs at a later time. I'm sure you'd agree random disconnection is a problem in this scenario.
In summary, I think enough has been said on this matter. Let's just leaves the users to come to their own conclusions.
All the best
Yes, you have the last word!