AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: tornado on January 15, 2010, 10:55:39 PM

Title: Sharing Data
Post by: tornado on January 15, 2010, 10:55:39 PM
Hi,
When ever I untick `Share Flight Data` from the preferences menu and then restart the application it is ticked again. Why doesn't it save the preference?

Thanks,
Alex
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: Aerotower on January 15, 2010, 11:24:06 PM
Good night,

Why not share your flights with the rest of the community?
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: eggplant on January 15, 2010, 11:57:36 PM
Tornado hasn't actually stated that he/she doesn't want to share his/her flights.
Seems he/she was just asking why this preference isn't saved. I know this matter has been debated a lot of times before, so no need for further comments.

Tornado - I will email you a utility that will start your RB s/w with the sharing unticked, should you wish to use it.

Eggplant
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: phil2004 on January 16, 2010, 12:27:45 AM
If I see it and think I can add to the community I will share..just like I expect others would do ..otherwise I might as well power up my Kinetics...just an opinion
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: tornado on January 16, 2010, 12:31:50 AM
Hi,
There is three reasons why I don't want to share data:

1) The software seems to run a lot slower when sharing is enabled
2) It will slow my internet and use up my upload/download limit
3) Why should I share my data for free and then AirNav go and sell my data! If I could see other peoples data for free I would share mine but that's not the case.


Thanks for sending me that program eggplant, but hotmail blocked it :S Please can you send it to me in a zip file,
Thanks,
Alex
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: phil2004 on January 16, 2010, 12:35:50 AM
Ok Tornado fair points ..so I guess you don't watch 'network flights' at all ?
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: tornado on January 16, 2010, 12:36:58 AM
Quote from: phil2004 on January 16, 2010, 12:35:50 AM
Ok Tornado fair points ..so I guess you don't watch 'network flights' at all ?

No I bought a second hand AirNav box so the 1 year subscription network access which comes when you buy a new one has now expired. So no I do watch them at all, I cant even access them unless I pay, so I don't see why I should give away my data if I cant see everyone else's
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: phil2004 on January 16, 2010, 12:44:20 AM
The 'Network' is a wonderful place ...I had a box for years then got the Airnav box and was really amazed at to what was happening outside my front door...but ok ...different views from different places ...once we enjoy it !
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: tornado on January 16, 2010, 12:50:53 AM
For one years network access it costs £109.9 and the only reason they can even charge this is because everyone gives there data away for free. Why cant AirNav pay me for using my data! It seems an unfair setup. They should at least give discounts to people who share there data. Ive already spent loads of money on buying the box and software.
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: eggplant on January 16, 2010, 12:53:15 AM
Personally I don't see why anyone on this forum should need to justify their reaons for sharing or not. I know there are are arguments for and against sharing, but at the end of the day, no user is under obligation to share/not share.

Even if you did get "free" network access with a new box, it's not free as it was included as part of the deal when you paid the princely sum for the box, no ??

I bought my box new and thus for my money expected a box with one years access, for which I paid. Thus I don't owe anything more.

Will send you a zip Alex.
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: tornado on January 16, 2010, 12:55:46 AM
I understood this had expired when I bought it and am happy seeing my data from my own AirNav box. I don't see why I should share it for the above reasons.
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: Aerotower on January 16, 2010, 01:12:28 AM
Ok Tornado.
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: phil2004 on January 16, 2010, 01:26:40 AM
yes...whatever moves you ...I just discovered I am not sharing anything as my Antenna is down ...so I can't discuss more...and yes ...it's a personal decision
Title: Re: Sharing Data
Post by: tarbat on January 16, 2010, 09:08:44 AM
Quote from: tornado on January 16, 2010, 12:31:50 AMThanks for sending me that program eggplant, but hotmail blocked it :S Please can you send it to me in a zip file,

If it's the AutoIt script that I wrote, then it's available at http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php/topic,1686.msg12932.html#msg12932