AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: G0HWC on January 23, 2010, 06:09:31 PM

Title: New base antenna WOW
Post by: G0HWC on January 23, 2010, 06:09:31 PM
Hi all,
I have just installed a new external antenna, I was using the supplied antenna on my roof
but the RadarMax X2 has taken my plane count from around 20 to over 100.

See full info and photos  here http://www.g0hwc.com/airnav_setup.html (http://www.g0hwc.com/airnav_setup.html)

And before you ask, NO I don't have any connection to the antenna supplier

Enjoy
Paul
http://www.g0hwc.com
Title: Re: New base antenna WOW
Post by: CoastGuardJon on January 23, 2010, 07:14:25 PM
Hi Paul, I'm glad you're pleased with your new antenna, but also have a look at this link - Caveat Emptor

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4108.msg41374#msg41374
Title: Re: New base antenna WOW
Post by: G0HWC on January 23, 2010, 10:13:19 PM
Hi there Jon,

It sounds like someone had a problem.
My communication with Anchor have been nothing but a plesure, infact today
I have placed a order for the air band antenna and if its as good as the RadarMax I will
be more than happy. All I know is mine is working better that I could have hoped for.
Its now 10.10pm and still tracking 56 flights...

When the air band antenna turns up I will let readers know how I get on with it.

Paul

Title: Re: New base antenna WOW
Post by: estcan5 on March 18, 2010, 08:03:29 PM
Isn´t it possible that I could receive any signals when I attach the Radarbox to the outdoor TV antenna?
Title: Re: New base antenna WOW
Post by: nortonbeak on March 18, 2010, 08:11:01 PM
Quote from: estcan5 on March 18, 2010, 08:03:29 PM
Isn´t it possible that I could receive any signals when I attach the Radarbox to the outdoor TV antenna?

The television antenna is VERY directional, tuned for a different frequency and not aimed into the sky. You may get a few signals off it, but I wouldn't expect too much.
Title: Re: New base antenna WOW
Post by: estcan5 on March 18, 2010, 08:17:49 PM
So what options do I have when I live in an apartment? Do I need do buy an external antenna and discuss it with neighbours and somehow, get the antenna on the roof?
Title: Re: New base antenna WOW
Post by: G0HWC on March 18, 2010, 08:38:33 PM
some of the external antennas are SO small no one would ever see it

Paul
http://www.truckcam.tv
Title: Re: New base antenna WOW
Post by: orkney on March 18, 2010, 09:41:43 PM
Hi,

As I maybe mentioned in an earlier post we now use the Radar max on our scanner as it was doing such a pathetic job on the radarbox. It actually does a reasonable job on that so I suppose it is better than losing out on the £50 paid for it as they (Anchor) would not accept a return. I am glad the Radar max X2 is performing well for you though as this plane spotting is such a fine hobby.

Claire