AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: JRoeland on January 27, 2008, 01:15:38 PM

Title: Airnav radarbox range question
Post by: JRoeland on January 27, 2008, 01:15:38 PM
Hi guys,

I'm absolutly new to this and don't think I can position this in the right light it deserves.

I live in Aalst in Belgium (middle between Gent and Brussels). If I would buy a airnav radar box, which range or airports could I track then. In other words, could I see planes up to London and Amsterdam. Or only shorter distances.
I read the 200NM limitation of line of sight. Th
Title: Re: Airnav radarbox range question
Post by: AirNav Support on January 27, 2008, 02:12:41 PM
The RadarBox can receive aircraft from up to 250nm away (not any further due to the curvature of the earth). These aircraft will need to be at FL300+ though, as the closer they are to the ground the less chance of being in your line of sight due to curvature of the earth.
http://radarproblems.com/calculators/horizon.htm

But in order to get that, the antenna must have a clear line of sight of the horizon. Probally best to have a preamp as well. Keep posted to our site for news regarding a antenna kit.

One final thing, if its not in your antenna coverage, its very likely the network flights will show that area.
Title: Re: Airnav radarbox range question
Post by: JRoeland on January 28, 2008, 05:45:59 AM
Do I understand well that you can use radar box and network at the same time ?

"its very likely the network flights will show that area."

But I understood that the network flights have a 5 min delay. Doesn't that create conflicts when using both at the same time.

Thanks for the reply,

Jurgen
Title: Re: Airnav radarbox range question
Post by: AirNav Support on January 28, 2008, 08:44:36 AM
Nope, the network flights are marked by asterix and they also only update position every 30 seconds. Lastly if you are tracking a Flight which is also the network your Live data you are picking up is used.