AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: smcm on February 05, 2010, 10:05:33 AM

Title: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: smcm on February 05, 2010, 10:05:33 AM
Hi

Probably only of interest to anyone in the far north of Scotland.  The Loganair / Flybe Saab 340B, flight number BE6910, left Kirkwall in Orkney (EGPA) yesterday morning bound for Inverness (EGPE).

After a few minutes the crew reported smoke in the cockpit and cabin.  The stdb engine was apparently then shutdown and the aircraft diverted to Wick (EGPC) where it made an emergency landing.  Seemingly not the first time this has happened to one of their Saab 340's.

My RB log shows that I picked up this aircraft at 0854h at 2400 ft after it had departed Kirkwall.  The aircraft in question was G-LGNI using callsign Logan 44CX.

smcm.
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: tarbat on February 05, 2010, 10:10:16 AM
smcm, welcome to the forum.  Thanks for the details, I'd been unable to find G-LGNI n my log yesterday ( http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/data.html ).  I'm guessing you must be located in the far north, whereabouts?  I'm at Portmahomack, on the Tarbat peninsular.
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: orkney on February 05, 2010, 10:29:01 AM
hello

I watched it squawk 7700 on the radarbox and heard it say mayday on the scanner. The reception was bad so i could only make out that and something about smoke and that it was diverting to wick. it seemed to be descending faster than normal as well but since it isn't an adsb aircraft it didn't have a vertical speed.
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: DaveReid on February 05, 2010, 10:42:22 AM
Quote from: orkney on February 05, 2010, 10:29:01 AMThe reception was bad so i could only make out that and something about smoke and that it was diverting to Wick.

It's hard to speak clearly when you're wearing a smokemask  :-)
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: smcm on February 05, 2010, 12:09:57 PM
Hi All

Thanks for reply and info.  I'm located in west mainland of Orkney and have been using RB since April 2008 but was not often on network.  Recently renewed sub after improving antenna setup and contribute to network if there are sufficient ads-b aircraft being detected.

Take it "Orkney" is also in Orkney ?  Wonder wher you are located ?

Might be able to improve antenna setup, but RB antenna is competing for space with other antennas including AIS (Shipplotter) and also not too keen to have it close to my transmitting antennas - not sure how RB would react to high RF fields at HF frequencies.

I have poor coverage from nw to sw (abt 50 n miles) due to hills close in, but much better takeoff from ne to se where I can get to within about 20 n miles of the Norwegian coast between Stavanger and Bergen.

smcm
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: tarbat on February 05, 2010, 12:37:05 PM
Quote from: smcm on February 05, 2010, 12:09:57 PMRB antenna is competing for space with other antennas including AIS (Shipplotter)

Another AIS spotter ;)  Orkney and the Pentland Firth are great areas for AIS.
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4331755135_c6a550c6f8_t.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/4331755135/sizes/o/)

I struggle to get decent Radarbox coverage (http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/radarbox.htm) around Orkney, so glad to see your feed on thr network.
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: orkney on February 05, 2010, 12:52:39 PM
Hi smcm

We are in Orphir down near the shore. We upload to the network all the time between 6am and 11.00pm usually.  We get good coverage north and south-Faroes to North England.

Orkney
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: smcm on February 05, 2010, 01:19:40 PM
Hi Tarbat and Orkney

Thanks for replies.  There seems to be quite a few sharers on Shipplotter covering Orkney and Pentland Firth with good overlap in coverage.  I do sometimes share but often use stand-alone as useful for indicating tropo openings on 2m amateur band.

I see your screenshot is Shiptrax - have been considering that but didn't realise it had been released.  Using Comar AIS-2 USB and folded dipole antenna.

To Orkney, you seem to be getting amazing coverage from Orphir - makes my system look a bit "deaf"

I usually only contribute to the Network if there are lots of ads-b aircraft passing within range as I found if on too much I was approaching my monthly broadband download limit !

Current setup is Wimo GP-1090 antenna with Westflex 103 feeder mounted on a pole outside but not completely in the clear, so hope to improve on that - not using preamp as a bit concerned that it could cause problems to the front end of RB rx with my tx antennas nearby.

smcm
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: orkney on February 05, 2010, 01:27:23 PM
Hi again smcm

We use the Radar Extender bought from Rocket Radio and 15m of the Westflex 103 bought direct from Henry Westlake.

We are fairly pleased with our coverage as we dont use any pre amps or anything either.

Orkney
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: tarbat on February 05, 2010, 01:43:39 PM
Quote from: smcm on February 05, 2010, 01:19:40 PMI see your screenshot is Shiptrax - have been considering that but didn't realise it had been released.

Sorry, I should have noted, I'm beta testing ShipTrax, it's not released yet.
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: smcm on February 05, 2010, 02:46:37 PM
Thanks tarbat, something I might consider when it's released although the map detail would need to be better than the RB coast outlines.  I can use the Comar with marine chart software to give much greater detail if required.

Sorry, Orkney - forgot to mention in last post that I'm located in Rendall - abt 40m asl but also down in a bit of a dip with hills close in.  I can see aircraft on the rw27 approach from front window till abt 3.5 miles from touchdown then hills get in the way but sometimes get them down to less than 100 feet, but rw09 is difficult.

Anything coming up from south using the rw09 arc procedure is below my visual and radio horizon - as they turn on the arc I've got Keelylang and Wideford Hill plus some local rising ground in the way !

smcm
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: smcm on February 08, 2010, 08:54:59 AM
G-LGNI seems to have returned to service, now on Kirkwall - Aberdeen route.

Spotted yesterday evening and this morning just recently departed for Aberdeen
as Logan 64DR

smcm
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: DaveReid on February 08, 2010, 10:34:30 AM
Quote from: smcm on February 08, 2010, 08:54:59 AM
G-LGNI seems to have returned to service, now on Kirkwall - Aberdeen route.

That's par for the course - most smoke-in-the-cabin incidents aren't actually anything on fire, simply the result of a leak allowing oil into one of the air-conditioning/ECS packs.
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: smcm on February 11, 2010, 03:02:53 PM
As reported today in local paper,

A spokesman for Loganair confirmed a "mechanical fault" and went on to say "the plane has been grounded in Wick and a Loganair maintenance crew are currently replacing the right engine in its entirety"

It was reported that the flight attendant had reassured a passenger " that the plane could fly safely with just one propellor "    .............  wonder which one of the two engines has the propellor, or do they just swap it around every so often.

smcm
Title: Re: Loganair Saab 340 Emergency landing
Post by: DaveReid on February 11, 2010, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: smcm on February 11, 2010, 03:02:53 PM
It was reported that the flight attendant had reassured a passenger " that the plane could fly safely with just one propellor "    .............  wonder which one of the two engines has the propellor, or do they just swap it around every so often.

Many years ago I saw a DC-3 suddenly flying on one propeller, while the other one spiralled earthwards ...